Honored Contributor

The term 'retinoid' includes both retinol and Retin-A (tretinoin). @Shanus

Honored Contributor

There is another form of C called MAP. It is less harsh on the skin and is recommended for sensitive skin. Look for it the next time you go shopping for a C serum. @Shanus

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee  Thanks. Made a note of that and will check it out.

Valued Contributor

I have been using a niacinamide serum and Hydroshield serum in my routine. I have not had one breakout since using the Niacinamide and the Hydroshield keeps my skin moisturized, especially around my eyes. I guess if you have specific skin issues serums would be a good choice for targeting those problems.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@nana59  After my skin cancer on face, I ask everyone to add an SPF of at 40-50 every day rain or shine!!!

@Shanus  Best advice ever.  So many people skip this important health step. 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus, I have been using Retin A for about 20 years. Have never regretted using it especially now that I see women my age with so many wrinkles. Of course sunscreen is another plus. Many women I know still do not use sunscreen. Don't get it!

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee  Just ordered Cosmetic brand Vit. C & E from Amazon. Has great reviews and they said same ingredients as the Skinsceuticals which is so expensive. Will try it on alternate days when using Retin A at night. Skinceuticals has gone up to almost $140 for 1oz. This brand is $35. Thanks for your help. 

Respected Contributor

I have tryed so many serums and I don,t mean to offend anyone who likes them but I do not. I went back to my tryed & true Cold Pressed Rosehip Seed oil which does more for me than any serum. I use far less products then in the past and it pays off for me. JMO

Honored Contributor

Certain ingredients can only be blended into water-based bases. While others can only be blended into oil-based bases. (A few can work in both, but let's not complicate things.) So that's why serums were invented--to deliver the water-soluble actives.

Oil in various formats is used to moisturize, and no one wants to give that up. But cosmetics companies wanted a way to deliver water-soluble ingredients as well, because some of them are also very effective. Vitamin C, for example, in its older forms, was only water-soluble.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr