Valued Contributor

Re: SIMPLIFY 2015-join us if you want to commit to spending less and want support! Week 1

What I'm finding appealing is how much more space I will have when I continue to work on this. I have a large home, but why waste so much of the space with more than I need?

One poster mentioned cleaning out her email box. I don't even know where to start on that one, there are so many.

It's great to see so many of you getting so much done in such a short amount of time. Remember though, you don't want to crash and burn. It's like a diet, and it's a marathon, not a sprint. On a diet, if you overdo it too much, you can end up falling off the wagon and never get back. It may help to pace yourself. At least that's the way I am. I don't want burnout on anything in my life.Smile

Super Contributor

Re: SIMPLIFY 2015-join us if you want to commit to spending less and want support! Week 1

On 1/5/2015 Pinkroses said: I already failed. I ordered Clinique lipstick, luminess air, and hair dye. I will try again to start fresh tomorrow.

It isn't a failure if it's a learning experience. We learn by doing and our perseverance gets stronger each time we exercise that newly learned savings or decluttering skill.

Trusted Contributor

Annie ~ very good advice, I need to remind myself that every goal does not need to be reached immediately.

I had originally thought I would de-clutter a particular closet in 1 day, well, it's been a couple days and still not finished.........BUT that's okay! I give myself permission to take my time. I took DrKelli's suggestion and set a time limit for myself to work on the area. When time was up, I stopped and strolled to the library!

So many fabulous bits of advice, strategies, techniques on this thread ~

3redheads ~ Hope you realize what a grand thing you did by starting this "group" ~ it's positive in every way! Thank you, again!

Honored Contributor

On 1/6/2015 vaccinia said:
On 1/6/2015 Tique said:

I no longer have huge credit card debt but I did. I didn't work for a number of years and basically lived off my credit cards. When I did get another job, my first priority was paying off my cards. The first thing I forced myself to do was to make twelve spreadsheets, one for each month. I have been updating those spreadsheets monthly since 2007. Up until the time I put my debt in writing, I knew I owed a lot but didn't know how much. It is a sobering thing to face that.

If anyone is interested in doing this, I would be willing to post my template which could be customized.

I would love to see your template. Sounds very helpful.

Thank you for your reply.

My Spreadsheet has six columns and it is configured so that at any given time, I can look at it and see how much I owe.

Credit Card Name

Limit

Balance

Amount Available

Interest Rate

Customer Service Number

Each credit card is named. The limit of each card is listed. Each month you post the balance from your card satement. If you do this in Excel, you can use a fomula so that the balance is subtracted leaving you the available amount on each card. The Interest Rate is important because you want to pay off the card with the highest rate first unless you don't owe a lot on that card. My strategy was to pay a little over the minimum on all cards but pay as much as I could afford on the one with the largest interest rate and/or the highest amount owed. I also listed the phone number so that from time-to-time I could call to see if I could negotiate a lower rate. Once you input all the information in, you paste and copy it. I am able to go back and see how much I owed any month from October 2007 to now.

I tried to put a sample here but it looks like it won't work as is. Will try again later.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Frequent Contributor

We are almost entering our second week of SIMPLIFY.

I started our Week 2 thread. Please come by and check in!

http://community.qvc.com/forums/beauty-banter/topic/487309/simplify-2015-week-2-all-can-join-suppor...

Frequent Contributor

On 1/6/2015 Irish1210 said:

Fashion and Style Diva ~ Thank you so much for the suggestions I will certainly check them out ~ I have always liked Joy Mangano. I appreciate you posting these ideas ~ this is what is so great about this thread ~ Happy New Year {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

DrKelli ~ You made me feel so much better today by saying you didn't get to your entry way yesterday.............I didn't finish my closet which I had planned ~ was feeling guilty about! I needed to "hear" that others are in the same boat ~ certainly not a failure, just a bump in my schedule!

Hi Irish1210!!! Happy new year to you as well!!! No problem, I am glad I could be of help:-) After all that is what we are here for. Good luck in all of your simplifying. Hope you have a great day!!
Super Contributor

I took my 3 magazine subscriptions off ""auto-renew"" today and will get the back issues from the library when they run out like I do with other titles.

Tackled my pantry cabinets and reorganized everything according to what goes with what so that will make the shopping list and the ""what's for dinner"" issue easier.

Honored Contributor

On 1/6/2015 Anniecamp said:

What I'm finding appealing is how much more space I will have when I continue to work on this. I have a large home, but why waste so much of the space with more than I need?

One poster mentioned cleaning out her email box. I don't even know where to start on that one, there are so many.

It's great to see so many of you getting so much done in such a short amount of time. Remember though, you don't want to crash and burn. It's like a diet, and it's a marathon, not a sprint. On a diet, if you overdo it too much, you can end up falling off the wagon and never get back. It may help to pace yourself. At least that's the way I am. I don't want burnout on anything in my life.Smile

You can start by clicking the unsubscribe at the bottom of the email, if you start with a couple a day it is a beginning.

There is a program or a service that will do that for you, but why give your info to yet another company

Contributor

This is great.I'm in as well! I am also tired of dealing with "STUFF"!! It's too much and it physically and mentally drags me down. I have gotten way better with QVC. Not watching is the biggest help. I hate paying shipping charges for anything, so if I order online I always try to get free shipping.

I like the suggestion of being mindful...do I already have one or more of the same thing, am I using it.? How many pink lip glosses do I need?? {#emotions_dlg.bored}

I would like to and NEED to save more money and think ahead to retirement. It's easy to blow too much $$ at WalMart..Target, etc. "oh it's so cheap I have to get it"

I am done with expensive skin care and cosmetics. I love Avon products and many are much cheaper than even the drugstore brands....Good luck to all of you & I look forward to feeling encouraged and inspired by all the posts!!

Contributor

Hi Ladies,

It’s been one week and I have not bought anything from QVC. Isaac and Shawn didn’t make it easy though. I love Isaac’s clothes and it’s really hard to say NO.

On Monday the last of the packages from QVC that I ordered before Christmas got here. They have all been sent back. It cost over $20.00 for return shipping. This has strengthened my resolve more than ever to not make any more on-line purchases. I end up sending more things back that don’t fit or don’t look good on me than I keep (and I keep a lot).

I’ve been tracking everything that I spend on unnecessary items and writing them down in a little notebook that I keep with me. This is helping a lot, as is shopping my own closet as one of the other ladies suggested doing. Also, 2 books are on hold for me at the library. No Kindle book purchases this first week.

I hope everyone is having successes big and small!