Contributor

Re: SIMPLIFY 2015-join us if you want to commit to spending less and want support! Week 1

Count me in!

My weakness is jewelry. I discovered over the holidays I have too many earrings, bracelets, necklaces -- I was looking for jewelry to finish my outfit for New Year's Eve and I found many pieces I had completely forgotten about. Yikes. Then I took a closer look and realized I have a lot of pieces I have never worn, or I haven't worn for a long time. I need to stop buying and start shopping my own jewelry box!

Before Christmas I took a trunk full of household items to Goodwill. They are always very pleasant and it makes me feel good inside knowing I have potentially helped many people by the things I am no longer using. I have another bag almost filled. Going to go through things again...

Thanks for this thread. I hope we can keep it going!

Contributor

Re: SIMPLIFY 2015-join us if you want to commit to spending less and want support! Week 1

I'm in, saw a Jerry Signfield skit on you tube the other day that every thing you buy is on its way to becoming garbage at some time in the future. It got me to thinking that some things get there a lot sooner than others. I remember a cashmere sweater I bought on sale that I wore for years. Other stuff I seem to buy and forget about. I will be mindful of purchases in the future. I do, however, love Linea fashions and may fall off the wagon when he's on. The rest of Q I can easily resist.
Honored Contributor

On 1/3/2015 LexPex said:

Sign me up. I was looking at my American Express bill for December and can't believe all that I spend at CVS on a weekly basis. I am always there and buying small things including makeup that just add up to $50-$60 a week.

Because we are getting ready to sell our home and downsize, I have not been buying chachkies for the house. It has been hard but I am doing it.

I am going to try to stop using QVC/HSN/ShopHQ as my background noise. It seems that I see things which I never realized I needed or wanted, that I suddenly need and find myself ordering. Going to limit myself to the shows that I really enjoy....Linea, designer silver and Valerie.

And I will read this thread. I am sure you all will give me some good ideas.

I hear you on that

I looked at my Amex bill recently

it was Harmon/marshalls/TJmaxx {#emotions_dlg.tt1}

Honored Contributor

My clean out for today was my Christmas wrap storage cabinet. Years ago I always made beautiful bows for all my gifts. Had a whole cabinet full of ribbons, picks, etc for making pretty packages. I honestly haven't been doing that for a few years (difficult with my arthritis), so this morning I texted one very crafty granddaughter and asked if she would like all of this. She is so excited to get it that it made me feel good, not only to clear it out of my cabinet but to hear her response. She is the most craft oriented of my grandchildren so I am sure she will make use of it.

"To each their own, in all things".
Trusted Contributor

Good Morning! So wonderful to read all the posts that share what you have done/will do to reduce spending. They inspire me to keep going.

I had $80 worth of silk floral items in a cart at Afloral dot com and emptied my basket today. I just couldn't justify spending that much money and get that bill next month.

I paid bills today and that reinforced cutting back. I am physically challenged, so I purchase a lot online. So, I made a chart today with the date, vendor, amount, and brief description of the purchase. I can now keep a running total of the charges for the credit card I use for online purchases. I budgeted an amount, and when I reach that amount, I will not be able to order anything online until that balance is paid.

I want to start feeling "OK" when I get a bill and not frustrated with myself for spending too much. I want to be liberated from the cloud of overspending.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Frequent Contributor

I asked my husband to block the QVC and HSN channels on TV so I wouldn't be tempted to watch. He did it. It helps.

Trusted Contributor

I FOUND IT !!!!!!!!!!

I can now see AND stand on the closet floor I mentioned in earlier post ~ Yippee! Still have a bit more to do in there, but a huge dent has been made ~ two large bags of donations ~

Contributor

Today is a good day! I canceled 4 items ordered online...saving myself roughly $200.00. Also attempted to drop off a bag of new/gently used leggings to our local store which gives clothing and other useable items to foster kids who are leaving the system because they've turned 18. The store was closed because of the holiday but will accept donations again next Saturday. I left the bag in the car so as not to tempt myself to 'recheck' the bag. LOL
Super Contributor

Happy Saturday to all! Last night I organized my nail stuff and today I bought nothing when was at the store--I thought about this thread and all of your inspiration.....VERY helpful and I appreciate everything each of you have shared. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Definitely feel motivated and less alone with these concerns!!
Frequent Contributor

On 1/3/2015 just bee said:

Isn't that the truth!!!

I ALMOST bought a luncheon special yesterday, but I canceled it. It was a shirt that I love and only $11 (before shipping). Then I asked myself if I really needed more colors. NO!

You ladies were the voices in my head and I thank you!