Honored Contributor

Re: SIMPLIFY 2015-Week 2-all can join! Support for those who want to spend less

On 1/8/2015 cerb said:

In addition, I ordered 57 used books (I have an actual library in my house). I got a good deal on them, but the problem is, my library is full. So this week I've been taking inventory of my books and organizing them. I've put 61 books in the donation box so far. I'm really happy to be getting rid of more than I'm bringing in.

The other reason I'm going through my books is to make an imprint on my mind, just how MANY books I actually own. When I look at them and touch them, it reminds me that I have "enough." For me, it's definitely a work in progress.

I know what you mean about books, I used to have at least 3x what I have now. Years ago once you had a book you held onto because how would you ever find it again?. Now you can find almost any book you want either in print or as an ebook.

So I started weeding them out, selling what I could and giving others away. I kept books I had as a kid and my Chrisites. It was a mind change for someone who came from my background but I am glad I did it. Now I don't buy any new ones (maybe 1x per year) and use the library or ebook. Prefer a real book though.

Good luck, if you want to do this see if there is a BetterWorldBook drop box near you.

Respected Contributor

Good morning, everyone!

Well, I dropped off the clarks tsv at the UPS store last night for return. It's funny, all the reviews said the shoe ran big and I had the opposite problem. Then, last night about 7 pm, my doorbell rang. I thought it was my neighbor, so I opened the door--UPS had dropped off something. I wasn't expecting anything so I was surprised. It was a DUPLICATE order of what I received the day before! So now I have to return that! I will wait until I get my hair done because there is an Old Navy across the parking lot from there. But still--no less aggravating.

I see many of you mention books--books are my downfall. I love to read. But I have bought books that I have never read and don't intend to read so I have decided those can leave my home with no heartache on my part.

Frequent Contributor

On 1/8/2015 vickisok said:
On 1/7/2015 3redheads said:

Many of us may give in to temptation. The goal isn't to completely stop spending, but to be mindful of our purchases. Need vs. want. <em>We will stumble</em>, but don't give up.

Thank you all for sharing your stories, hardships, tips and encouragement. One day at a time!

3redheads did you ever think this thread you started would be so appreciated and commented on? I am so happy you started this and have come in faithfully everyday to read and post.

Never, ever expected there to be so many supportive people! Knowing that I am accountable (at least to myself and the board) has prevented me from giving in to the temptation. Fingers crossed!

We have to realize we will not be able to completely stop shopping. There will be things we need. You ladies have given some wonderful suggestions. Need vs. want and waiting 24 hours before you purchase.

18 days without a new purchase from the Q. I also returned two items I didn't love and frankly, didn't need.

A few of you mentioned books. I work at a library and am surrounded by books, but I still prefer ebooks. Your local library usually has ebooks in addition to physical books. The application to use is Overdrive. It will get your started! Install it on your phone, tablet or PC and look for your local library. Just some tips to save some money!

Respected Contributor

I've gone 10 days without a purchase from QVC. And I returned 2 out of the last 3.

Respected Contributor

We just retrieved both our cars from the mechanic's shop, and ordered parts for one additional repair. It was time for scheduled maintenance, and the mechanic found a few additional things that needed to be repaired. The total bill will be right around $2k for preventive maintenance and repairs. Our cars are both six years old and I amortized that total cost over twelve months. It came out to $166.67, still less than the cost of a car payment. I am more committed than ever to sticking with near-zero spending for the rest of the year. I don't need another thing. I just want time, and the only way I can get that is to retire.

Frequent Contributor

On 1/8/2015 3redheads said:
On 1/8/2015 vickisok said:
On 1/7/2015 3redheads said:

Many of us may give in to temptation. The goal isn't to completely stop spending, but to be mindful of our purchases. Need vs. want. <em>We will stumble</em>, but don't give up.

Thank you all for sharing your stories, hardships, tips and encouragement. One day at a time!

3redheads did you ever think this thread you started would be so appreciated and commented on? I am so happy you started this and have come in faithfully everyday to read and post.

Never, ever expected there to be so many supportive people! Knowing that I am accountable (at least to myself and the board) has prevented me from giving in to the temptation. Fingers crossed!

We have to realize we will not be able to completely stop shopping. There will be things we need. You ladies have given some wonderful suggestions. Need vs. want and waiting 24 hours before you purchase.

18 days without a new purchase from the Q. I also returned two items I didn't love and frankly, didn't need.

A few of you mentioned books. I work at a library and am surrounded by books, but I still prefer ebooks. Your local library usually has ebooks in addition to physical books. The application to use is Overdrive. It will get your started! Install it on your phone, tablet or PC and look for your local library. Just some tips to save some money!

That is actually a fantastic tip as I too, am an avid reader. I just received a Kindle for Christmas from my sister, and have been downloading all the free books I can find LOL. I did have a cleanout of my office yesterday, and one of the main focuses was my library shelves. I have at least 25-30 books that I have taken out, with only maybe 3 books I never even got around to reading. I plan on taking those to my SO's 92 yo grandmother during my next visit as she is a lover of all things literary and I know it would please her to no end to have these especially now that it's cold and she can't really get out to do any of her recreational activities.

All of this purging, decluttering and general organizing has given me so many ideas and incentive and I feel all the better for it. I really hope it has the same effect on all of us, so that we continue the trend throughout the new year and so forth. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Respected Contributor

On 1/8/2015 DrKelli said:

I've gone 10 days without a purchase from QVC. And I returned 2 out of the last 3.

Excellent. Small steps, big gains, eventual behavior changes. That is the key.

Valued Contributor

My main goal here as in the ComPact thread, is to have more going out/used up than I have coming in via new purchases.

Week 1 was OK, no unneeded purchases and one item gone from the stockpile. It was only a bar of soap but hey, I started out this year with 50. I started out last year with 74, so I'm making progress.

When I look back now, I have to wonder what the heck I was thinking. How many bars of soap do we need? Oh yes, there was a coupon on the multi-packs at Costco. {#emotions_dlg.blushing} And guess what? There's been coupons since and will be coupons again.

Esteemed Contributor

Well, stuck to my guns and haven,t ordered on the Q since mid Dec. I have already returned two items that came in this week. Sunday I cleaned so much stuff out of cabinets and closets and brought to the goodwill. Then Monday I get hit with a nine hundred dollar bill @ Vet for the dog. I love her so much what could I do? I have not brought anything.and with this, I can,t anyway. I will definitely save this year. All my ep,s will be finish by March. They are really evil pays. Stick to your guns ladies. Good Luck
Contributor

On 1/8/2015 jackthebear said:
On 1/8/2015 cerb said:

In addition, I ordered 57 used books (I have an actual library in my house). I got a good deal on them, but the problem is, my library is full. So this week I've been taking inventory of my books and organizing them. I've put 61 books in the donation box so far. I'm really happy to be getting rid of more than I'm bringing in.

The other reason I'm going through my books is to make an imprint on my mind, just how MANY books I actually own. When I look at them and touch them, it reminds me that I have "enough." For me, it's definitely a work in progress.

I know what you mean about books, I used to have at least 3x what I have now. Years ago once you had a book you held onto because how would you ever find it again?. Now you can find almost any book you want either in print or as an ebook.

So I started weeding them out, selling what I could and giving others away. I kept books I had as a kid and my Chrisites. It was a mind change for someone who came from my background but I am glad I did it. Now I don't buy any new ones (maybe 1x per year) and use the library or ebook. Prefer a real book though.

Good luck, if you want to do this see if there is a BetterWorldBook drop box near you.

I'm a book nut too. My goal this year is to order from the library and not buy any more books for my Kindle until I read all the ones that I already have. If I do buy a hardcover or paperback for the shelf, it is going to be something that I really want to keep.