Honored Contributor

Re: SIMPLIFY 2015-Week 2-all can join! Support for those who want to spend less

I am nearing retirement and it is beginning to make me think. I have heard that you can expect to live 20 years after you retire. So even though I have a relatively new car, I might have to buy another car down the road. And my medical expenses will increase. My husband is now on Medicare and he pays $188 for one prescription. OUCH! When he was covered by Blue Cross, he paid $14.

I am thinking it will cost alot to get old. So I better spend my money wisely.

Honored Contributor

On 1/6/2015 pickles123 said:

Hi Ladies, I just wanted to say that I have not watched any of the shopping channels since signing up.

I have seen a few shows I wanted to tune into when looking on the Guide and just scrolled on by.

Thanks for all the terrific hints and advice. I think I will do a lot better at not buying than cleaning out what I have. Your advice is appreciated.

Keep up the good work

Don't forget to watch Elle is for Living on You tube. She gives great advice and it is free.

looks interesting

Honored Contributor

On 1/6/2015 Tinkrbl44 said:
On 1/6/2015 3redheads said:

We are entering our second week of SIMPLIFYING our lives. It's been 17 days since I ordered from the Q. I blocked the channel on my tv and am committed to spending less and not buying items I just don't need.

We have so many ladies (maybe a few gents?) who post for support and I read every post and you all inspire me. Has it been really easy to resist buying? No, but I read everyone's stories and you help me resist.

Will we completely stop buying? No, but hopefully, we will think long and hard about every purchase. We will learn to appreciate what we have and quit collecting things like jewelry, handbags etc.

How is everyone doing this week?

Just curious ..... have you ever given any thought as to WHY you would buy something you know you don't need? {#emotions_dlg.crying}

If we knew that this thread wouldn't exist, and I guess there would be absolutely no retail stores at all. Need to find that balance.

I hope this does not read as snarky as it was not written with that intent at all {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Occasional Contributor

Count me in. We just moved into our new home, and I've come to realize how wasteful we've become. Too many belongings. Simplify sounds good to me.
Honored Contributor

I only have to look into my closet and see all the shoes and clothes to know I don't need to buy anything more. Shopping is an emotional crutch and I have no need for one in my life. After I took down the Christmas decor and got all the everyday decor out of boxes to put it back in place I realized how much of that I have as well. It does look nice but any more would tilt it to looking overdone. IMO just the right amount looks homey and cozy. So i have nothing I need to spend money on. DH gave me money for my birthday and I decided to just put it in my jewelry box for now so I don't waste it on an impulse purchase.

Honored Contributor

On 1/7/2015 Love_to_read said: Count me in. We just moved into our new home, and I've come to realize how wasteful we've become. Too many belongings. Simplify sounds good to me.

When we moved to Fl 4 years ago I was stunned by how much stuff we got rid of - threw away, donated or found a new home for. Tons of stuff. I am glad to be shed of it and have not missed it at all.

Honored Contributor

Good morning.

Had to go grocery shopping last night because we are expecting a deep freeze. I didn't succumb to throwing any of those items in my cart that they place by the registers to encourage impulse buying. The shelf in my linen closet that is designated as the "Candle Shelf" is full so even though B&BW is still in the midst of their Semi-annual sale, I am not buying any more candles.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

I am moving pretty slow, due to the below zero temps really affecting my arthritis badly, but am still moving. I went back to the kitchen cabinets and went through a couple more (those corner ones are so big and hard to get all the way into the back), anyway, with the other things I had already pulled out to donate, I added some additional pieces that I have had no need of in a couple years. I loaded up my car and dropped everything off on the way to a hair apptmt., then went to grocery store. Only bought what we were out of, no extras. I am calling that a win, for yesterday. Don't know yet what I am going to tackle today, but something will get de-cluttered even if it is just something small.

"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

@jackthebear--your comment made me laugh! I love a good snarky remark every now and again. And to be honest with you--it's true. I cannot put a word to why I do this, but I have the feeling that my comment on the original thread about it being tied to being a perfectionist may be closest. I have so much stuff that it is ridiculous and I certainly do not have any room for more stuff, so the common sense thing would be to not bring anything else except consumables into my home, but there is a trigger that causes me to spend and that is what I need to pin point.

So, here is my tale of progress:

I got the last of my QVC packages last night--2 pairs of the Clarks TSV (because they came in narrow) and the Isaac knit quilted jacket. The Clarks are going back because they run short. I am keeping the jacket.

I found a clipping that I was going to use to help me reduce stuff and I thought I would share with you:

Should it stay or should it go? Ask yourself the following questions:

When was the last time you really used the item? Was it last week, last month or last year--or is it just collecting dust? If it is the latter, toss it (donate, sell etc)

Do you already have something that serves the same purpose? A second copy of a beloved book? Too many oven mitts or dish towels to count? If you have a version that you use, give the others away.

What would it take to replace this piece? Could you easily find it again or is it one of a kind? Does it have real sentimental value? Be honest with yourself: if it is special enough, keep it.

If you are having a hard time deciding where to start, write down each area or room that you want to declutter on individual pieces of paper or index cards. You can write down the above questions on each card to remember them. Throw them into a jar or bowl or whatever and draw one card out. Work on that area until it is done. Draw the next card out, do the same until all cards are completed. If you are discouraged about the sheer amount of work, start with a bathroom or another small area.

Honored Contributor

SIMPLIFY 2015 Report - Week 2

Good news:

1) Organized and purged my beauty products cabinet a few days ago

2) Started organizing my jewelry so I can SEE it to both USE it and REMIND MYSELF how much I have. Love Joan Rivers hanging jewelry organizer in pink/gold with Pockets (I hope QVC reorders this product because only the Loops [for necklaces, bracelets] is in stock). Note: there is a black one with pockets available on the Q if you do a search. http://www.qvc.com/Joan-Rivers-Choice-of-PinkGold-Hanging-Organizers.product.H167830.html?sc=H16783...

I also ordered a set of small plastic zip-seal bags from Miles Kimball to hold each jewelry piece before it goes into each of the Joan Rivers pockets to prevent tarnishing, which occurs on gold and fashion jewelry as well as on Sterling silver.

3) Planning to go through the rest of my leventy-nine purses today because the forecast here in the Chicago area is for the temperature to go DOWN as the day goes on to minus 4 degrees and there is no way I'm going outside!!!

Bad news:

I ordered three rings from tomorrow's GEM day...two I had admired from the past that went on clearance...the other, well, is just pretty and I was BAD...

I'm proud of many of you and hope I can be more like you as time goes on this year!

Still working on it, EEL