Contributor

Re: SIMPLIFY 2015--WEEK 4--All can join! Support for those who want to spend less

It's been 22 days so far without buying anything from QVC. I was so tempted with the Oryany handbag show yesterday but did not make one purchase. This time my resolution to buy less seems to be taking. Maybe it's like it is with any bad habit. You aren't going to be successful until you are really ready. Anyway, thanks to all your wonderful threads and advice, it is easier to be mindful and think about whether I really want to clutter up my closets with clothes that I don't need.

Frequent Contributor

Re: SIMPLIFY 2015--WEEK 4--All can join! Support for those who want to spend less

Glad to see we're still hanging in there.

Last year, I averaged 10 purchases a month at QVC.

This year, no purchases since Dec 21, 2014.

One day at a time!

Respected Contributor

I don't know what happened to my post, so I'll try to remember what I said.

I haven't made any purchases here since the last week in December. And I returned the last purchase I made (the Clarks TSV). I just received my bonus at work and will pay off 4 credit cards--2 low balance, 2 with fairly high balances, including the Q card.

I have a small project scheduled for this weekend--the cabinet that serves as my 'linen' closet. Only there are no towels or sheets in there because those are in my regular closet since I have no real linen closet. But it is full. I'm pretty sure I don't need 3/4s of what is in there. Since I did my master closet last weekend, I get a little project. I also need to run the carpet cleaner because my carpets are looking dirty again. With dogs, I usually do this once a quarter. I also need to get a load to the small consignment store so that I have more room in my garage.

At the first of the year, I also started the 52 week challenge--where you save $1 the first week, $2--Week two, $3--week three and so on for the 52 weeks of the year. At the end, you will have saved $1300 and change. I intend to go on a cruise with my mom next spring and this is a relatively easy way to save.

Work is really dull today, there are hardly any people here, so I'm seeing an early departure in my future.

I hope you all have a good weekend.

Respected Contributor

Still working on the guest room. DH and I will have a garage sale in the spring. I took a box and a bag full of stuff for the sale out to the garage yesterday and 2 bags of clothes for Goodwill out there, also. Until they actually leave the premises, they don't need to be on the guest room bed!! We'll make a Goodwill run tomorrow.

I finished the closet in there the other day, and it looks much better. Progress, slow but sure!

Respected Contributor

After reading the other posts about past Q purchases I checked mine. I haven't ordered since the Lock and Lock TSV with the bowls and gift bags the end of October. So far, so good into this new year!

Trusted Contributor

Yesterday I did a "SECOND LOOK" at the closets I have recently cleaned out..............I did find a few additional items to donate, so I took a bag to the Salvation Army.

Sometimes I have that "attached" feeling to items I'm just not ready to give up (another poster recently mentioned this) ~ so I go back after a week or two and see if I'm feeling ready to let go. If I'm not ready, that's OK.

Went through my manuals, warranties, receipts for appliances, etc. ~ will be using the suggestion to put them in a 3 ring binder ~ LOVE THIS IDEA!

No unnecessary purchases ~ NO LOGO or JOAN.....would love to, but ...............

Just did a cursory tally for groceries this month, and I am at less than 1/2 of what I spent last month (I'm not even counting Christmas extras, only the basics) with 1 week to go ~ thrilled at this! Sticking to the grocery list REALLY makes a difference!

Thanks to ALL who have made terrific suggestions ~ they're helping! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Contributor

I ran out of my favorite lipstick. A new tube costs $25.00. So, tonight I got an old contact lense case, washed it out and then dug out the lipstick that was left over in the bottom of my old tubes. It filled one whole side of the contacts case. The other side is filled with a darker shade of lipstick. It's amazing how much is left over in a tube of lipstick! I love the idea that one of the ladies had about using a binder for receipts. Everything will be so much easier to find. Go girls! We are going to save some money this year!

Honored Contributor

I did sort through the drawer of appliance manuals, threw away several, but have a small file drawer downstairs that also has some there, so will wait and combine them all when I get to the downstairs with my decluttering, I want to finish upstairs first. I also de-cluttered the bottom portion of my china cabinet, had lots to donate from there. I need to check my coat closet for the second time this year, may not have much to get rid of, but it's looking messy again. I will have the kitchen, living room and dining room done at that point, then, ugh, will proceed to my closet and dresser drawers, Hope to have that complete by this time next week. Then can head downstairs. Once the de-clutter is finished, I think I will re-paint, at least the kitchen, and then shampoo all the carpeting in the house. This will take me some time, as shampooing takes quite the toll on my back, so it will be slow progress. Great job everyone, and thanks for all the tips and suggestions. Very useful.

"To each their own, in all things".
Super Contributor

Still working on my master bedroom closet. What was supposed to take a weekend last week has turned into a week long escapade. Had some issues here with my health so it will take longer than I thought but, I just do a little each day and it will be done before end of the month.

I also gathered up all of the "backstock" I had of UNopened bath and body goodies and I donated a couple of large boxes of them to a local Salvation Army sponsored shelter for women. I have been doing better with personal care and groceries and not "buying ahead" this year so far. My storage issues are already starting to take care of themselves. Smiley Happy

Been starting to search for a job to make more income since we have been sticking to budget and we can cover the bills but, I was not figuring on the dental and torn rotator cuff issues that popped up just since Jan 1. We have insurance through husband's job to handle both issues but, our portion will have to eat away at a different category of budget to pay for those expenses. Vacation category lost its portion and I won't do a third year in a row without a vacation so it's off to work I go...LOL!

Trusted Contributor

On 1/23/2015 AnnMarie-1 said:

Thank you Sierra! I love this tip!

I have some binders I was going to toss, now I have use for them, I just need to buy a 3 ring hole puncher

I wish I had started this a longgggg time ago, my warranties & such are in dire need of help, not even sure I have all the receipts....and they are stored in different places...some in kitchen, some up in the disaster room LOL....this will be added to my goal of organization...which is coming along nicely even though I still have a ways to go

I do not need a 3 ring hole puncher, I had my hubby pick up plastic holder sheets made for binders, I LOVE THIS IDEA, BEST ONE SIERRA!!!

I worked on a kitchen closet where I hang lots of keys...I bought new hooks, now all match & are labeled, nice

I may buy a label maker, would look nicer than my hand printed ones

I usually take weekends off organizing but since hubby is going into work tomorrow, I am going to keep going, I still see another 2 to 4 weeks before I am done