Respected Contributor

SIMPLIFY 2015--WEEK 4--All can join! Support for those who want to spend less

A new week, a new thread!

As I posted on the week 3 thread, I went from 194 hanging items to 91 (I went back and pulled 4 items back out of my wait 30 days bag). To be honest, it doesn't really look any different, maybe less crowded. I also got rid of about 80 pairs of shoes. These are shoes that I have either never worn or forgot I had. I don't like that feeling. I am trying not to focus on the complete waste of time and money, but rather on the feeling of living more simply so that I have a narrow choice and will wear everything in my closet.

I looked up the 333 project where you live 30 days with 33 items of clothing in your closet. Since I keep ALL my seasons in the same closet, I have actually done that. If I find any more interesting concepts, I will pass them on

I got a preview of the D&C TSV and would really like them, but I have several pairs of yoga pants that would do the same thing.

I think my next project (it will be small) is the cabinet I have upstairs that stores my toiletries. The condo I live in has NO linen closet! I'm pretty sure I can get rid of a lot of stuff.

I have gone 20 days without ordering from here. I did purchase some more 'velvet' hangers from Amazon this weekend. I posted that I got rid of all the 'store' hangers they send home with you. My big trashcan is full of them. I need to get to the consignment store this week so that I have room in my garage. I have scheduled a goodwill pick up for the 29th, so I have to get it done before then. Otherwise it will all go to goodwill.

This weekend, I also participated in a 5k. I racewalk and have done this series for over 10 years. It was a beautiful day in Denver and I finished 2nd in the women's racewalk division.

What do you hope to tackle this week?

Trusted Contributor

Re: SIMPLIFY 2015--WEEK 4--All can join! Support for those who want to spend less

Today I want to go through the coat closet ~ it would be a really great accomplishment for me to get that area down to manageable! There are coats and jackets for fall, winter and spring ~ I'm sure I can add quite a few to the donation pile ~ That's today's plan ~

Over the weekend, I cleaned out the glove compartment and console of my car!

Good luck to all today ~

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SIMPLIFY 2015--WEEK 4--All can join! Support for those who want to spend less

I delivered a trunk load and a back seat load of goodies to Good Will. I am focusing upon 15 minutes at a time on each room as I visit it to see what can leave. Small steps eventuallylead to completion of the bigger goal.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Frequent Contributor

As always, I will concentrate on curbing impulse spending.

I will tackle my hall closet. I know there are coats in there that no one wears. I will donate those.

I will try to work on some paper projects I need to do, but have put off. It means locating legal documents etc. The pile is sitting on my dining room table...calling me! Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

I meant to mention that I'm redoing my bill/budget notebook. I found cheap ($2.50) downloads of templates on Etsy for the following:

debt payment tracker

paycheck budgeting

monthly bill tracker

I put these in my binder and will work on them today. I love anything that helps me keep track of things and just being organized in general!

Regular Contributor

This week I cleaned out my book stash and took 2 brown paper garbage bags full of books to the second hand book store. Only left with three "new" books for me that I traded for. Continue to whittle down the clothes, although I have very little- probably less than 30 hangers per season! I've got my husband on board with cleaning out his half of the closet! Yeah! Maybe we can get rid of those jeans he wore in HIGH SCHOOL??? Just kidding-he could probably still fit in them- the stinker!

I took back some cosmetics from Christmas (expensive ones that aren't worth the money) and replaced those (because I do need a few items) with the IT TSV. I really needed Concealer and finishing powder, and the kit was cheaper than the two items I returned! I have high hopes, as I use mostly IT products currently. Replaced some skincare items I was out of but waited for them to be on sale, and used samples until they came. I'm doing OK, I just pull up my credit card online and look at the balance from Christmas, and that has been stopping my purchasing cold! I have to say, I am tempted by that darn Tartelette pallet- I love her matte shadows, but I just don't need anymore. I haven't bought it yet, and am trying to hold firm...

Good luck ladies!

Valued Contributor

Last week was kitchen and paper. This week, more kitchen and paper.

I read here somewhere about condensing shampoo, even if different brands. A long time ago, I read on a Dave Ramsey message board (where they post ideas on how they save money), where some were combining several partially used bottles or samples of shampoos (or conditioner) into one bottle and using them that way. The funny part was that they found they absolutely loved the concoctions, but had no way to duplicate them! lol

Esteemed Contributor

Hello good people. Enjoying my day off from work. Since this is Martin Luther King, Jr observance day, I'm thinking about this man's courage and how he helped to change the social environment of our country. Much needed and still progressing.

While watching NCIS recorded shows, I'm having lunch and will soon jump on the exercise bike. Then I'll clean out the laundry room shelves. Move things around. Caught up on laundry from the weekend this morning.

I have no problem making lists and thinking ahead, it's getting the job done without stressing myself out is what I'm working on.

Will celebrate 36 years of marriage soon and have lived in my home for 20 years. I am so in the mood to get every corner of the house organized, and in some places -- purged of excess stuff.

Recently went through my correspondence tote. I like keeping letters, birthday and special occasion cards received. Purged any cards with signed names I no longer had contact with or recognized. Good grief. Tossed about 50% of the cards. Felt good about that.

Oh, I generally keep books I've read -- Cleaned the loft library/computer area - I have a stack of reading I will not re-read nor do I don't plan on lending to others. What do you guys do with unwanted books? Do most thrift stores accept these?

Here's to a good and productive week!

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Trusted Contributor

Happy 36 years of marriage Ury!!

Today I cleaned & re-org my vanity drawer, tossed some items, moved some bins around, now more room for my blushes, much more manageable

I also cleaned the cabinet under my bathroom sink & labeled every drawer (I have 2 plastic drawers in there)

Think I am done for today as I need to shower LOL

Trusted Contributor

Another tip that works for me:

Buy those sticky labels & label things, & then cover with tape so it doesn't smear