Honored Contributor

Re: SIMPLIFY 2015--April thread

Hi all, I read the thread earlier today and was going to respond, but my computer thought otherwise. I think the "Get Rid of 5" is something I can do most days. I actually got rid of a little pile of stuff today, didn't count, but guessing 8-9 items. Nothing significant, just stuff. So I'm in for that. I am another who was doing better with a weekly thread, but its ok, I am spending the days (weather permitting) outdoors now, so my simplifying has been reduced somewhat anyway.

"To each their own, in all things".
Valued Contributor

I'm not familiar with this thread, but what a wonderful idea/ plan to rid oneself of 5 items per day. May I join in?
Respected Contributor

On 4/9/2015 DrKelli said:

alicedee--when my favorite player went to Detroit (Pudge Rodriguez), I got the MLB extra innings package so I could follow him. I LOVE the Detroit sportscasters, Rod and Mario. They are so funny! Unfortunately, this year I decided that the extra 200/year for that package was too much and cancelled it. But I will still cheer for them to get to the World Series!

I think I'm overwhelmed again with all the STUFF I have. I am a single person and even if someone moved in with me--there would be NO room for them. I don't know whether to be embarrassed or mad.

DrKelli, I always loved Pudge Rodriguez too. Great player, and always a class act to watch!

I hear you about the STUFF! Sheesh, it's so easy for it to accumulate, too. Just tell yourself how much you'll unload if you do the 5 things a day toss!!!!

Respected Contributor

On 4/9/2015 sylviahomeatlast said: I'm not familiar with this thread, but what a wonderful idea/ plan to rid oneself of 5 items per day. May I join in?

Sylviahomeatlast, you are more than welcome here. I love reading everyones' ideas and accomplishments.

I didn't toss my 5 things yet today, but I still have an hour and a half before midnight!!!!

Valued Contributor

I definitely have 5 things to toss regularly. Smiley Happy
Esteemed Contributor

Welcome sylviahomeatlast!

Respected Contributor

Welcome, Sylvia! Of course you can join us!!

We finally made it to Friday and I am so happy! Unfortunately, the Rockies' home opener is today and I work downtown so that makes getting home challenging, to say the least. I'm hoping to get out of here about 3 to be ahead of that mess.

This weekend I am going to see Motown the Musical. One of the women in one of my bootcamp classes saw it last weekend and said it was fantastic. I can't wait! I'm also going to try a "home" remedy for some old pet stains. I saw it on Pinterest and I really hope it works.

Got rid of my 5 items yesterday and will be getting rid of 5 clothing items today and tomorrow.

Honored Contributor

Got rid of 4 items today, with the 5th pulled for consideration. I have 2 irons that I am going to re-test to decide which I am keeping and which will go for todays item #5. Also spent time outdoors cleaning out yet another flower bed, that makes 6 so far. Now to get all the area surrounding the pool cleaned out (amazing how many leaves and sticks accumulate over the winter after I cleaned it all up so nice late last Fall), will concentrate on that tomorrow and see how much I can get done there. Everyone, have a great weekend.

"To each their own, in all things".
Trusted Contributor

Hi everyone - I kind-of miss the once a week thread too. Last month I mentioned how I need to cut back on the number of T.V. shows I record, and the number of digital photos I take. Sometimes simplifying our lives includes paring down on non-physical things or on activities. Anybody else need to simplify their lives by cutting back in those types of areas?

After my DMIL passed away, I borrowed 3 tubs of old family photos she had owned from my sisters-in-law. I have been going through hundreds upon hundreds of photos, and scanning all those I want copies of. Then I'll be returning the tubs to them. It is incredibly time consuming, and has brought other forms of simplifying to a halt.

I'm trying to keep the end goal in mind - I will keep a few of the actual photographs, all the others will neatly organized and labeled on the computer and backed up on a disc. That is a much better system than having a dozen boxes or photo albums that have to be stored somewhere. It just takes a l-o-n-g time to get there.

Wishing you all great success on your individual paths towards simplifying! ~ Charlene

Trusted Contributor

It has been a good few days. I cleaned out and reorganized under two bathrooms sinks. Plus I reorganized two closets! I took a load to Goodwill, returned a shirt to Kohl's, and all I bought this week was an doormat to replace one that was torn.