Valued Contributor

Re: SIMPLIFY 2015--April thread

Since it was tax time, I spent time going through all sorts of papers and shredding them. I think the house in general looks lighter because of it. LOL It feels good to have gotten so much done, anyway.

Respected Contributor

How's your 5 a day challenge going? I actually cleaned out the telephone stand in my kitchen this weekend. That is my "collect everything" spot. I did throw out a few things and moved some others to a different spot. It looks better now.

My love it wear it challenge is now switching seasons, but I did find that most days, I wore something different. I repeated a few shirts once or twice though. It still doesn't help me get rid of the things I don't wear though, which was the whole reason for the challenge! One thing I do find myself doing is if something doesn't fit exactly right or there is something about it that annoys me, it gets put right in the donation bag.

I'm working on a new challenge for next month to go along with our 5/day and love it wear it challenge. I think the LIWI challenge may be something we need to do for a year to see exactly what we are wearing. But the 30 day part of it gives you a good idea what you wear regularly. There is a blog I read regularly and in one of her posts, she talks about your "house" clothing--you know, the stuff you wear on the weekends, but would never wear it in public. The premise of the blog was that you should wear 'regular' clothes on the weekend too. I don't know if I would do that to the dog park--I NEVER wear clean clothes out there because I'm going to get jumped on or slimed or something. My summer at home clothes are usually tank tops and shorts, which I will also wear to the grocery store or whatever. Do you have your at home clothes? How do you feel about wearing "regular" clothes on the weekends?

Frequent Contributor

I've been taking at least 5-10 things out daily - whether it's a simple piece of junk mail to a piece of clothing that's being donated - so that's seemed to work out fine for me. I gave a pair of Chuck T's I'd gotten a couple of years ago that (while cute and comfortable if I was just standing still) were perfectly horrible the first few times on my toes, to my daughter. I'd replaced them with a pair of hi top versions in a half size bigger which are much better.

I also realized that these days, I'm more about comfort than glamour, so I sized down most of my high heeled shoes (I kept a few pair in the universal colors - black and natural/tan). I mostly wear boots and sneakers in the fall/winter and sneakers and sandals in the spring/summer so I have my essentials pretty much set. I did however, go online to DSW this morning and using two rewards certs I had (I didn't even KNOW I had them - apparently they were sitting there since I did back to school shopping in August and were about to expire) with a gift certificate and got a couple new pairs of Chuck's and Keds for the summer. I think I'm going to revisit my shoes again though, just to be sure there isn't anything there I missed.

Honestly, the LIWI challenge WAS a bit challenging for me. I was at my SO's house over the weekend, and I looked at the clothes I have over at his place, and realized I wear everything there so I didn't even consider them. My wardrobe at home is probably equivalent to what I have over at his place, with the exception of lots of T-shirts and tank tops which I live in during the summer. What I tend to do with those T shirts I get tired of wearing out, or have just faded a bit and may be a bit threadbare but still in good/wearable condition, is wear them either to bed or around the house as my "house clothes". I grew up in a household where that was common: we had our "outside clothes" and when we got home, we'd change into our lounging/house clothes. These days, it's more about just getting out of clothes I've been in all day, and slipping on something warmer and cozier during the colder months, or something looser and flowing that aren't clinging to me during the warmer/hotter months, but they are still wearable for a quick trip to the store. Once they become slightly threadbare, out they go.

I want to whittle down my closet just a bit more, even though I have minimal as it is. I think I will tackle that once I get home today. My purchases are still minimal - so I've kept it very simple with spending. I'm always on board with simplifying more, though.

Esteemed Contributor

Hello to all. I'm not checking in often but still have my mind on shedding some stuff. Hope your weekend went well. So sorry about your stolen Ipad, DrKrell. It's such a violation and an annoyance. Hope your travels were good otherwise.

Next week, or the week after that, I'll switch my winter / summer clothes. I'm 10 pounds lighter than last summer, but can still wear many of the clothes. If I continue to lose weight, I'll make a decision about donating bigger summer clothes in September.

We're painting the kitchen and replacing doorknobs/towel racks/TP holders in the bathrooms. Hardwood floors installed in a couple of weeks. My attention is moving from organization to updating our home before we put the house on the market. Wanting to right size and find a master BR on the main floor.

That's all I know. Keep organizing and purging. Feels so good!

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau