Honored Contributor

Re: SHORT HAIR...NO MORE CURLS...LESS PRODUCTS

I've had short hair for decades.  I do not look good in styles below my ears--fine, stringy hair and it does not suit the shape of my face.  I feel lucky that I look good in very short hair after reading how much money people spend on products and appliances.  IF I had a problem with my hair I would get Toni Brattin's wigs and be done with it!!!

Respected Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I like it on other people, just not on me.  First year of retirement, I cut mine really short - hated it - now chin length.  Will never do that again!

What she said.....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus,  I love my short hair.  It's healthy and easy to care for.  I have been wearing short for at least 10 years now and I no longer color it but it is salt & pepper and I receive compliments on my color  at the beauty salon.  My cut this time is a pixie.  I like to let it grow for 3 months and then I have it cut again.  At least I can enjoy the various stages when it is growing out and I save a little money not going every 6 weeks to have it cut.  I use Aquage thickening spray gel as my hair is soft so I need to have some product in it.  Plus this gel is a very fine spray and rinses out with water.  It does thicken my hair.  I spray on towel dried hair and blow dry.  Sometimes I let it dry by itself but then I do not use product.  Talking about hair, I am now wanting a pedicure.  I want to find a really nice gold polish for my toes.  Metallic is big this season again.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

Love my short curly hair.  Wash, dry. go!!  No muss or fuss. I would hate having to deal with fussing with my hair every morning

Honored Contributor

I cut my hair in a pixie years ago and never went back! Except a few years ago I grew it out into an inverted bob (that was LONG for me!) and after seeing my new license photo with that haircut on me I promptly got it cut back into my signature pixie with spiky on top. I now get it colored jet black and it is sooo shiny and healthy looking! Short hair rules!! Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

Oh, I am contemplating....-not like a pixie.  When it's really humid here, somewhat straight hair can look....greasy. You are blessed with curls-you will never look unkempt because you have body!

I have gotten more body over the last two years-and a short cut can be liberating: good for you!

Poodlepet2

Double that!

I've been contemplating for years! Wouldn't my family, et.al. be shocked!

What do I need, Shanus? Courage? Time? Tired of fussing?

Esteemed Contributor

Me!   My hair has is getting curly around the ears and neck areas as I get older.  It's still straight-ish on top, but lots of natural body and shine.  I can spray with root lifter and finger-poof into shape as it dries.  Soooo easy!  and it looks good on me.   The trick is a great haircut so hair falls perfectly into place. 

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@Harpa. If you don't like it short, it will always grow back. You'll never know until you take the plunge. For me, I'm not an "in between lengths" person. It's either long (long for me being chin length...any longer and my curls blossomed into an oversized halo...too big for my face & stature) or quite short...just long enough to lay down & stand straight up. 

I have no curls at this pixie length, but body and a few waves...Using mousse and/or gel when my hair is wet, I can smush it around, pull the bangs down to eyebrow length & that's it. 

Find a good stylist. Bring it pics...find mine on Pintrest. The stylist can adapt length/style to you face shape. Leave longer layers on top to have a more feminine look. Good luck. Go for it!

Honored Contributor

I've had very long hair and very short hair.  When my hair is long it's generally because I can't find someone who can cut my hair.

Recently I discovered someone who understands my hair.  She gets it.

Because she understands its nature she knows to cut it to encourage it to do what it is meant to do.  And now at this age my straightish hair wants to curl.

With every cut I'm going shorter again.  One thing keeps me from taking it all off.  As I age there are a few things I'd rather not advertise.  It's an old habit: Hiding behind one's hair.

As some have said, it's liberating to chop it all off.  A few years ago I shaved my head and part of me wants to do it again.

Every time I see Jennifer Griffin I want to grab a pair of scissors.

Before:

Jennifer

After:

Jennifer

She was pretty with long hair.  She's stunning with short hair.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee. I've had short hair many more years than longer hair. I always felt that w/ longer hair, I blended in w/ the crowd. Everyone has longer hair. It's easy to pull off, puts your features "on hold" in the background & I feel ordinary. 

With short hair, my eyes & eye makeup stand out. Cheekbones more prominent and neck looks longer....and my earrings show! 

Because my clothing style is rather monocromatic, I can express myself w/ short hair...make a statement. I feel perky, refreshed and free!!!