Trusted Contributor

Re: SHIMMER OR MATTE SHADOWS?

@SilleeMee wrote:

I'm part Asian and have the Asian mono lid so I have to be really careful where I put any kind of shadow, shimmer or not. Thankfully my lids are not crepey or wrinkled yet so I'm glad I can still use a little shimmer.Woman Wink

Wearing shadow has always been a real challenge for me.

OMG @SilleeMee you have got to watch BeautyIQ rerun of Victoria's ( TATCHA founder) presentation.  Don't remember anything else about it because her face, particularly her eyes mesmerize.  On her flawless face is a subtle ombré of soft pink/ mauve to violet shadow that is portrait quality.  She hasn't hidden the lid or tried to de-emphasize anything but used the planes of that gorgeous face to create perfection.  You've gotta see it please?

Trusted Contributor

ps: Jillian, Laura Geller artist, says hooded eyes are sxy "come hither" eyes.  AND they don't get as crepey as soon! Here too satins are soooo pleasing!

Respected Contributor

@Shanus I think using shimmer works on the lids if they are not crepey. My personal preference is a satin eyeshadow on the lid which has a more subtle glow. I use a matte for the crease and outer corner & a matte or a satin below the brow line. I have quite a few singles from UD. One of my favorite satins is "scatch" from Urban Decay.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee

My daughter is 1/4 Filipino. I bet you're gorgeous Woman Very Happy

as for the original question: I think a lot depends on the eyeshadow. I found Mally's shimmers to be awful. Made my lids look crusty!

But other shimmers can be fine. I just picked up, for fun and 2 bucks, an L.A Looks purple-centric palette at Walgreens, shimmver v. matte, with 12 color. On the shimmer side was a black that looks terrific on the outer upper and lower lash lines  and the shimmer colors aren't over the top so you don't get the visual texture that you can get with some shimmer/sparkle.

I'm 56

Honored Contributor

Thank you for your kind words @Andreatoo! You just made my day sweetie!Woman Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Matte. Taupe or dove grey.
Respected Contributor

Anyone decide to go from all matte shadows to some shimmer? 

Super Contributor

Lighter colored shimmer shadows do accentuaute  a crepey eye lid on me at 62 this yr. No problems thru the 50's decade! I love a lighter shadow on the lid  as it opens up the eye( and a daytime look) ,so I just put it on the ball of the eye now (no crepe)  ,outer corner has the  darker contour color I use and swept upward to lift the eye. Towards Inner eyelid ( where I am crepey) a matte light color blended with the ball shimmer color and I can do a dab of shimmer in the inner corner . Gotta work with what you got going on.  

Esteemed Contributor

I don't ascribe to age cutoffs.

My lids are completely smooth, thanks to all the eye creams I've used for years, and my eye shape is such that I can use shimmer w/ nice effect.

If I shade my lids at all, I will use a light wash of Mally's Celebrate Spiked Champagne, which is quite sparkly/shimmery.

I think anyone with sunken eye lids (not my shape, though) with smooth skin texture would be perfect for shimmers in light colors in order to bring forward the sunkenness.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@CoG Don't feel badly. I know which model you mean & I can't think of her name either. I'm 68, but no crepey lids yet. Just don't want to wear shimmer & look like I'm trying for an eye better suited to 30-40 yr. olds. Is Jo Anne the model who always tilts her head way back when the camera comes to her? Agree that any face makeup w/ glow, especially the stripe of shine above cheekbones, is not a good look at the first sign of a crow's foot. Appreciate your answer.

That stripe of shine above cheekbones!!! Whoever thought that looks nice?!! Actually, it doesn't look nice  on the browbone, either.