Honored Contributor

Re: SHIMMER OR MATTE SHADOWS?

@Katcat1.... I'm 68 & no lid wrinkles, but wasn't sure about shimmers. Appreciate your reply.

Honored Contributor

My mom is in her late 60's and she wears shimmer shadows which I think really accents her eyes beautifully. It isn't glitter shadows but shimmer/satin type shadows. I don't think mattes would look nearly as good on her. I think it does help that she doesn't have wrinkly lids. perhaps if she did, shimmer wouldn't look as nice?

I agree with @suzyQ3 though, one size does not fit all and what looks good on someone depends on a variety of things and age isn't necessarily a factor in and of itself.

Honored Contributor

@CoG The model's name has been killing me since my last reply to you. Is it Leanne?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm part Asian and have the Asian mono lid so I have to be really careful where I put any kind of shadow, shimmer or not. Thankfully my lids are not crepey or wrinkled yet so I'm glad I can still use a little shimmer.Woman Wink

Wearing shadow has always been a real challenge for me.

Trusted Contributor

I really like Mally's shadow sticks.  They're just the right amount of shimmer.

For me at least....

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@CoG Don't feel badly. I know which model you mean & I can't think of her name either. I'm 68, but no crepey lids yet. Just don't want to wear shimmer & look like I'm trying for an eye better suited to 30-40 yr. olds. Is Jo Anne the model who always tilts her head way back when the camera comes to her? Agree that any face makeup w/ glow, especially the stripe of shine above cheekbones, is not a good look at the first sign of a crow's foot. Appreciate your answer.

Yes, that JoAnne, head back, caressing the brush strokes, seducing the camera.  Funny thing is that I think the other's name is also JoAnn.   She has delicate skin that is usually red and a very thin thin nose.  She's modeled for the Q for decades.

Laura Geller made a shadow palette with lots of pretty colors (30+) and it was tempting but the glitter made it a pass.  The newer palettes from Urban Decay and Katt, same issues.  The best I've found so far is Anastasia of Beverly Hills,  recommended by forum contributors.  This company makes a wide range of richly pigmented shadows in various finishes including satin. You can build your own palettes.

Trusted Contributor

YES! It's Leanne!  She was like Joy before Joy, remember, the favored makeup model.

As an aside, remember when Maria had to sit through the temporary tightener (egg white) demos.  Proof that the results were only temporary at best. Her poor under eyes continue, to form crows feet and if anyone takes good care of their skin, (and hair and body,) it's Maria.

Esteemed Contributor

I do not think there is an age cut off. I think it depends on your taste and how your skin looks. I am 46 and this past year I have bought lots of shimmers and metallics and I really love the way it looks. I don't smoke, drink or eat a lot of sugar and I take good care of my skin so my lids aren't crepey or wrinkled (yet) so I will wear them as long as I can and if I continue to like them. My favorite look this summer was a gold metallic Colourpop eyeshadow with a bit of mascara, lip gloss and a touch of their luminizer on the tops of my cheeks and above my cupids bow.

I can't even count how many eye palettes I have. Just guessing I would say I at least have 35-40 and I have found I am kind of over palettes. Not because of shimmer or metallics but because I rarely use all the colors that come with them. I have been buying  more and more shadow singles, especially Colourpop. Their prices are great, I can chose what finish I want (matte, satin, metallic) and I love quality of them. They stay on great with no creasing and no fallout when applying. I have probably hit pan on at least 5 of them.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@CoG Thank God I remembered Leanne's name. You're right. The older models always have to test the anti aging products. I think Maria's been a model on Q forever. 

Honored Contributor

Matte for daytime and shimmer for night.