Respected Contributor

I have to shampoo once a day or my hair looks, well ... just plain freakish.

Honored Contributor

Yes!! I shampoo 2x in a 7 day period.

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

My hair is very short and "baby fine". I must shampoo once a day. I also hate when I can smell peoples hair that has not been shampooed every day. UGH!!!

@Group 5 minus 1- You mean that "dirty scalp" smell?  I agree.  Sometimes when someone walks by, you can help but get a whiff of it and yuk.

Honored Contributor

Every other day. I'll use dry shampoo if I need to go out on a day it didn't get washed.

Honored Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

I only shampoo 3 times a week--max of 4.  I find that shampooing and heat tools damage my hair if done and used too often. 

I do only use non sulfate shampoos, but I don't know if they are really any better than shampoos with sulfates.

I do only use high-quality shampoo--no drugstore.  I wonder if drugstore ones are as good and are as gentle.

@winamac1, I tried my husband's Clean Hair by Pantene the other day and my hair looked the best it has in months. I usually use sulfate free shampoo and I don't think it cleans my scalp all that well. The Pantene products seem to work. I think I will be interchanging Pantene with my usual high quality shampoos..

@Trinity11Thanks Trinity.  I have heard great things about Pantene.  I know many love  Pantene.  Do they have a lot of silicones in them though?  I'm concerned about silicones.

@winamac1...I am not really sure how to find them? Is there a particular ingredient to look for?

usually ends in "cone". i.e. dimethicone.  Smiley Happy

https://www.hairfinder.com/hair4/silicone-based.htm

No, there are no cones in the Classic Clean formula. It has a label on it from Elle Magazine that it is the biggest breakthrough in 30 years. All I know is that my hair was very shiny using it and it gives incredible body... Very inexpensive too.

Honored Contributor

When I was in grade school everyone shampooed their hair every 5 or 6 days.  We teased our hair and sprayed it so it took 5 days to produce any oil.  Now it's every other day but I could go longer and may consider it.  My hair is never dirty when I shampoo now.  

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Best thing I did was grow my hair out a little more and stop washing it everyday.  I was having to use too much product on it when it was short.  It looks so much better and healthier now.  I wash every 2 days, and sometimes use dry shampoo in-between.  Never thought I would get away from everyday washing, but my hair actually looks best the second day.

Honored Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

I only shampoo 3 times a week--max of 4.  I find that shampooing and heat tools damage my hair if done and used too often. 

I do only use non sulfate shampoos, but I don't know if they are really any better than shampoos with sulfates.

I do only use high-quality shampoo--no drugstore.  I wonder if drugstore ones are as good and are as gentle.

@winamac1, I tried my husband's Clean Hair by Pantene the other day and my hair looked the best it has in months. I usually use sulfate free shampoo and I don't think it cleans my scalp all that well. The Pantene products seem to work. I think I will be interchanging Pantene with my usual high quality shampoos..

@Trinity11Thanks Trinity.  I have heard great things about Pantene.  I know many love  Pantene.  Do they have a lot of silicones in them though?  I'm concerned about silicones.

@winamac1, shampoos don't normally contain silicones. Cones are usually found in conditioners. BTW, there are some cones that don't end in -cone. With my curly hair, I avoid silicones in any hair products that I use.

But Pantene shampoo does contain sodium laureth sulfate -- thought to be not as harsh as sodium lauryl sulfate. Personally, I avoid all sulfates in shampoos and any skin or body products.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@winamac1, shampoos don't normally contain silicones. Cones are usually found in conditioners. BTW, there are some cones that don't end in -cone. With my curly hair, I avoid silicones in any hair products that I use.

But Pantene shampoo does contain sodium laureth sulfate -- thought to be not as harsh as sodium lauryl sulfate. Personally, I avoid all sulfates in shampoos and any skin or body products.

@suzyQ3  Yes, the silicones build up on the hair. For us w/ curly hair, it doesn’t allow the hair to get moisture. That means frizz! 

Honored Contributor

I cleanse my hair with WEN twice a week in winter and 3 times a week in summer, but my hair is very short and I do use a dry shampoo sometimes.