Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 

Thumbs up emoji – Copy it!

Respected Contributor

@BarbiHollywood Very interesting you were able to find that website to look up expiration dates or manufacturied dates.  However, I tried to access the web address and I get nothing.  Certainly not a place to look up dates.  Don't know what I'm doing wrong ..... cosmetics dot net. .... if that right?  Has anyone else tried it?  Thanks Smiley Happy.

And so sorry you found your new purchase was older product.   It is probably usable - if you wanted to use it, but it's very disappointing that you bought something new and find out it's not fresh.  

Respected Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

Q is just the middleman, the products sold come from IT so shame them. I sent an email about this thread to IT & I'm hoping to get a reply soon about shelf life & expiration dates...instead of huffing & puffing here take the time & email IT too. I use their powder foundation & bought 3 today on HSN 50% off sale so their explanation matters to me...I toss my compact every 6 months, it's still almost half full so I never paid attention to the expiration date.

Doesn't the Q have a duty to double check?  Sure they do @kitcat51 .  They have the duty to not just expect others to do the right thing, but do the right thing themselves.

Most of the cosmetics are not in the Q warehouse, they ship directly from the manufacturer. Anyone who thinks Q takes items out of the box & inspects them before shipping is naive...they're simply the middleman & they take the blame that should be placed on the manufacturer. I don't know if the info provided in this thread is correct, that's why I contacted IT & if you're concerned you should too.

Hardly.  The transaction is being made via QVC and consumer A.  Consumer A has a right to expect that due diligence has been done before providing this service for another company.  QVC does benefit by this so customers should benefit as well by not receiving older products.

That's called quality control.  Some places have it some don't.

Please be right, nothing you post will change my mind. IT manufactured the makeup, they're responsible for making sure it's a fresh & not expired product. If you want to let IT off the shame hook & shame Q instead go ahead, I don't. I use IT powder foundation, I want to know it's shelf life & an explanation of how the expiration date is determined so I emailed IT & hope to get a reply soon. 

I agree that the cosmetics company is responsible.  But so is the seller.  The cosmetic company would be responsible for sending the seller the wrong or old/outdated material.  The seller is responsible for selling the old/outdated material.  Peridottttttttt.

If you went to a drugstore and purchased a otc medicine and took it home without checking the expiry date to discover it's old, whose fault would that be Yours?  The drugstore who still has the items on its shelf to sell?.  The manufactuer? It's like trying to get rid of old milk. 

I'm not trying to change minds.  I don't come here for that.  I come to add "my perspective."  If there are like minded people then so be it.  I don't need approval.

@kitcat51 .

That's my opinion ~ I'm sticking to it.

ok...thankfully we're done.

Esteemed Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

Q is just the middleman, the products sold come from IT so shame them. I sent an email about this thread to IT & I'm hoping to get a reply soon about shelf life & expiration dates...instead of huffing & puffing here take the time & email IT too. I use their powder foundation & bought 3 today on HSN 50% off sale so their explanation matters to me...I toss my compact every 6 months, it's still almost half full so I never paid attention to the expiration date.

Doesn't the Q have a duty to double check?  Sure they do @kitcat51 .  They have the duty to not just expect others to do the right thing, but do the right thing themselves.

Most of the cosmetics are not in the Q warehouse, they ship directly from the manufacturer. Anyone who thinks Q takes items out of the box & inspects them before shipping is naive...they're simply the middleman & they take the blame that should be placed on the manufacturer. I don't know if the info provided in this thread is correct, that's why I contacted IT & if you're concerned you should too.

Hardly.  The transaction is being made via QVC and consumer A.  Consumer A has a right to expect that due diligence has been done before providing this service for another company.  QVC does benefit by this so customers should benefit as well by not receiving older products.

That's called quality control.  Some places have it some don't.

Please be right, nothing you post will change my mind. IT manufactured the makeup, they're responsible for making sure it's a fresh & not expired product. If you want to let IT off the shame hook & shame Q instead go ahead, I don't. I use IT powder foundation, I want to know it's shelf life & an explanation of how the expiration date is determined so I emailed IT & hope to get a reply soon. 

I agree that the cosmetics company is responsible.  But so is the seller.  The cosmetic company would be responsible for sending the seller the wrong or old/outdated material.  The seller is responsible for selling the old/outdated material.  Peridottttttttt.

If you went to a drugstore and purchased a otc medicine and took it home without checking the expiry date to discover it's old, whose fault would that be Yours?  The drugstore who still has the items on its shelf to sell?.  The manufactuer? It's like trying to get rid of old milk. 

I'm not trying to change minds.  I don't come here for that.  I come to add "my perspective."  If there are like minded people then so be it.  I don't need approval.

@kitcat51 .

That's my opinion ~ I'm sticking to it.

ok...thankfully we're done.

Thank yer!

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

I've stopped buying Philosphy gels as Amazing Grace should be pink shimmer well bottle I recd was more "grey shimmer".

And thanks to posters here telling me the way to decipher the code It was 2019.  .Bought in 2020..

Now I only buy from ULTA and even they don't have supersize of any product (IT, etc.) that's ok I know it's fresh🙂

Respected Contributor

@millieshops   I immediately called the IT number printed on the product tube.  The gal had no idea what I was asking her about but kept asking if I'd like to provide my email for their mailing list.  I declined the request but told her that I contact QVC for an answer.  The CS gal at QVC understood what I asking and suggested I speak with someone higher up so I gave her my number and asked for a call or email.  I doubt I'll hear from anyone.  But I tried.  We'll see what happens.  

Honored Contributor

I can't believe there are people defending QVC on this.  Yes these companies send products to QVC for sale.  But how do any of you know that QVC isn't the one who has kept these products in the warehouse for far too long?  That is more than likely what is happening here.  I have brought this up before.  When is the last time QVC sold Bobbi Brown or Clinique on air?  Yet there are items in inventory from both of these brands on .com.  Do you think you you order one of these items that Clinique or BB are shipping them to Q for sale to you?  I'm thinking these items have been sitting in a Q warehouse and are old.  Very old.  

I've mentioned the TILI boxes a number of times.  Some of those boxes still being sold have reviews that are 2 years old.  I would bet my last dollar the boxes have been sitting in a Q warehouse for that long.  

Other make-up items have reviews that are years old as well.  Again, I would bet with many of these items, QVC got X amount into its warehouse to be sold and that is where they have been sitting.  Most of these aren't products newly shipped to QVC.  In the case of new kits, product launches, etc., if those are old that is not QVC's fault exactly, but they certainly should be checking out what they are selling.

There is a huge difference between me buying brand new items and keeping them too long, and buying something new that is already old and/or expired.  Yes I have make-up that has been in my collection for a long time.  I have also had to pitch certain make-up items that have turned because they were old.  But when I bought them, they were new.  I don't go to a make-up counter or store and purchase something that is 2, 3, 4+ years old.             

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@BarbiHollywood wrote:

@Mindy D   That link was given to me by the QVC Customer Service rep.  I think you're not allowed to post links to sites that sell.  I might be wrong, though.  

I just spoke with another QVC CS rep who will be emailing me a postage-paid label for me to return the makeup, and I've asked for a more senior CS rep to contact me to ask WHY they sell outdated makeup.  

@BarbiHollywood 

Oh, good grief.   I'm not sure I have this straight .... you said that there were no actual expiration dates on the makeup and you had to research this, right?   

So ... if QVC is shipped a supply of makeup from any vendor, and it has no expiration dates on it, how would they know any more than we know?  It's my understanding that warehouses ship out in sequence, with the most recent received to be the last to go out.  What goes out first is based on order of manufacturing.  The "oldest" merchandise will always be what goes out first.  

Personally, I was of the impression that makeup that is sealed is "fresh" and once it is opened and used, the clock starts ticking for a use-by date.

While I am a little surprised by this, it's also possible things sat in warehouses because of the covid problem. 

I have a couple large bottles of sealed WEN which I plan to use, although I didn't buy them yesterday.

@My tube of makeup did not have an expiration date printed on the crimp.  It did have a code printed instead so I wanted to know what the code meant.  I thought it was a little strange that other brands have expiration dates clearly visible but this didn't.  It only took a phone call or two to find out.  Now I know how to decipher the codes. :-)

Enjoy the day!

Respected Contributor

@kitcat51  Yup, IT was the first call I made.  The gal had no idea what I was telling her and had no knowledge about the code printed.  I didn't push the issue with her, I just called QVC afterward.  The gal there didn't know either and suggested I go online to that site.  I did and found my answer.  They sent me a prepaid return label, it's on the way back already, and life is good.  I'll rebuy stuff elsewhere and know how to decipher the codes.  

Respected Contributor

@moonandthestars wrote:

@BarbiHollywood Very interesting you were able to find that website to look up expiration dates or manufacturied dates.  However, I tried to access the web address and I get nothing.  Certainly not a place to look up dates.  Don't know what I'm doing wrong ..... cosmetics dot net. .... if that right?  Has anyone else tried it?  Thanks Smiley Happy.

And so sorry you found your new purchase was older product.   It is probably usable - if you wanted to use it, but it's very disappointing that you bought something new and find out it's not fresh.  

@moonandthestars Hello!  NO, the site is checkcosmetics dot net  Try it again.  I'm keeping it handy to use in the future.