Esteemed Contributor

@luvmybeetle wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

Unopened eyeshadow goes bad?  Even opened, I literally use eyeshadows for years.

Have you ever heard them tell you how often you should change your mascara?  I have.  Every six months once it's been opened and used.  Why introduce god knows what near your eye area @Icegoddess ?

I was told by a cosmetics person to change mascara every 3 months.  I've also heard that on QVC.

@luvmybeetle Yes, I just posted that I had that wrong.  Found some info from Web MD to use a "general rule" of thumb.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

Q is just the middleman, the products sold come from IT so shame them. I sent an email about this thread to IT & I'm hoping to get a reply soon about shelf life & expiration dates...instead of huffing & puffing here take the time & email IT too. I use their powder foundation & bought 3 today on HSN 50% off sale so their explanation matters to me...I toss my compact every 6 months, it's still almost half full so I never paid attention to the expiration date.

Doesn't the Q have a duty to double check?  Sure they do @kitcat51 .  They have the duty to not just expect others to do the right thing, but do the right thing themselves.

Most of the cosmetics are not in the Q warehouse, they ship directly from the manufacturer. Anyone who thinks Q takes items out of the box & inspects them before shipping is naive...they're simply the middleman & they take the blame that should be placed on the manufacturer. I don't know if the info provided in this thread is correct, that's why I contacted IT & if you're concerned you should too.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@BarbiHollywood wrote:

@Mindy D   That link was given to me by the QVC Customer Service rep.  I think you're not allowed to post links to sites that sell.  I might be wrong, though.  

I just spoke with another QVC CS rep who will be emailing me a postage-paid label for me to return the makeup, and I've asked for a more senior CS rep to contact me to ask WHY they sell outdated makeup.  

@BarbiHollywood 

Oh, good grief.   I'm not sure I have this straight .... you said that there were no actual expiration dates on the makeup and you had to research this, right?   

So ... if QVC is shipped a supply of makeup from any vendor, and it has no expiration dates on it, how would they know any more than we know?  It's my understanding that warehouses ship out in sequence, with the most recent received to be the last to go out.  What goes out first is based on order of manufacturing.  The "oldest" merchandise will always be what goes out first.  

Personally, I was of the impression that makeup that is sealed is "fresh" and once it is opened and used, the clock starts ticking for a use-by date.

While I am a little surprised by this, it's also possible things sat in warehouses because of the covid problem. 

I have a couple large bottles of sealed WEN which I plan to use, although I didn't buy them yesterday.

@Tinkrbl44 we are discovering what we "thought" isn't true.....

Super Contributor

This has been going on for years now with Wen products...I stopped buying for a few years then recently tried again thinking maybe it changed and nope i got products made in 2016!!I returned and went to Chaz Deans website and bought 2 small items to see what there dates were and omg it was 2016 as well!I kept those but will never buy again!

My guess is the vendors get HUGE HUGE orders to get the cheapest price and here lies the problem.Wen will say its good 2 years after opening but i dont buy that...Actives start degrading according to Isomers and Skinn cosmetics reps after 2 or 3 years of packaging so those would do no good for hair or skin.

Its unacceptable to me to pay top $ for stuff made years ago and shady as well.I bet if they said during shows btw these were made in 2016 but are still ok sales would plummet.

Esteemed Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

Q is just the middleman, the products sold come from IT so shame them. I sent an email about this thread to IT & I'm hoping to get a reply soon about shelf life & expiration dates...instead of huffing & puffing here take the time & email IT too. I use their powder foundation & bought 3 today on HSN 50% off sale so their explanation matters to me...I toss my compact every 6 months, it's still almost half full so I never paid attention to the expiration date.

Doesn't the Q have a duty to double check?  Sure they do @kitcat51 .  They have the duty to not just expect others to do the right thing, but do the right thing themselves.

Most of the cosmetics are not in the Q warehouse, they ship directly from the manufacturer. Anyone who thinks Q takes items out of the box & inspects them before shipping is naive...they're simply the middleman & they take the blame that should be placed on the manufacturer. I don't know if the info provided in this thread is correct, that's why I contacted IT & if you're concerned you should too.

Hardly.  The transaction is being made via QVC and consumer A.  Consumer A has a right to expect that due diligence has been done before providing this service for another company.  QVC does benefit by this so customers should benefit as well by not receiving older products.

That's called quality control.  Some places have it some don't.

Respected Contributor

It's not entirely the Q's fault, the shipment was sent from the manufacture, the Q didn't make it.

This is probably what happens with manufactures, they have products that are coming due, someone put them together in a kit and sells the kits (like to the Q) for a very discounted price so they can alleviate them from their inventory and the Q makes decent money on them.

Problem was, the kits didn't sell out and they are sitting in inventory with some expired dates.  The make up isn't opened and unless you find out what it's shelf life is, you can't say it's not any good.

I would just bet the Q's purchasing department had no clue as to what they bought, the manufacture offered them a great price on so many units and the buyer bought it.

Super Contributor

@BarbiHollywood 

Thanks for that alert.

Respected Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

Hardly.  The transaction is being made via QVC and consumer A.  Consumer A has a right to expect that due diligence has been done before providing this service for another company.  QVC does benefit by this so customers should benefit as well by not receiving older products.

Please be right, nothing you post will change my mind. IT manufactured the makeup, they're responsible for making sure it's a fresh & not expired product. If you want to let IT off the shame hook & shame Q instead go ahead, I don't. I use IT powder foundation, I want to know it's shelf life & an explanation of how the expiration date is determined so I emailed IT & hope to get a reply soon. 

Honored Contributor

Re: SHAME ON QVC

[ Edited ]

@RollTide2008 wrote:
I eat food until it looks, smells, or tastes bad too. I’m still alive.

@RollTide2008 

LOL ....  me, too.    There's also a HUGE difference between spoiled and tainted makeup and makeup that is just .... well .....  not brand new.   I have makeup that I've had for many years, blushes, etc that don't look or smell bad and work the same as they did when brand new.  Should I toss them out "just because"?  

One other thing comes to mind ....  some people scream like mad when they see a product that has preservatives, stabilizers, etc,  listed.   Preservatives make products last longer ... food, too.   

Products with no preservatives at all have a VERY short shelf life ....  but I would think people should already know that.   

Esteemed Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

Please be right, nothing you post will change my mind. IT manufactured the makeup, they're responsible for making sure it's a fresh & not expired product. If you want to let IT off the shame hook & shame Q instead go ahead, I don't. I use IT powder foundation, I want to know it's shelf life & an explanation of how the expiration date is determined so I emailed IT & hope to get a reply soon. 

I agree that the cosmetics company is responsible.  But so is the seller.  The cosmetic company would be responsible for sending the seller the wrong or old/outdated material.  The seller is responsible for selling the old/outdated material.  Peridottttttttt.

If you went to a drugstore and purchased a otc medicine and took it home without checking the expiry date to discover it's old, whose fault would that be Yours?  The drugstore who still has the items on its shelf to sell?.  The manufactuer? It's like trying to get rid of old milk. 

I'm not trying to change minds.  I don't come here for that.  I come to add "my perspective."  If there are like minded people then so be it.  I don't need approval.

@kitcat51 .

That's my opinion ~ I'm sticking to it.