Honored Contributor

SEPHORA PUSHING CLEAN BEAUTY?

Many of the Sephora emails I've received for the last 6 months or longer have been concentrating on the clean beauty lines they carry. It seems women are being drawn to these products now more than ever.

I'm thinking, in order for other lines to stay competitive, they'll need to do the same. 

Respected Contributor

Re: SEPHORA PUSHING CLEAN BEAUTY?

Both Sephora and QVC have been pushing "clean beauty" hard for some time now. Honestly, I'm over it. One of my favorite HG items was reformulated to be vegan and now it's just not as good as the original, which contained lanolin.

Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

Both Sephora and QVC have been pushing "clean beauty" hard for some time now. Honestly, I'm over it. One of my favorite HG items was reformulated to be vegan and now it's just not as good as the original, which contained lanolin.

@Alison Wonderland   There's also confusion in terms clean beauty, not tested on animals and organic. Reading labels sometimes is no help. 

Respected Contributor

I think "clean beauty" is pure sales hype -- just the latest mantra in an industry that thrives on fads, trends, the latest/newest/most innovative "powerhouse," etc.  Even within skincare lines, there are dozens and dozens of utterly redundant products (take a look at Josie Maran and Dr, Denese, as just two of countless examples).  Don't get me wrong -- I like and use a few of their items myself.  But I'm glad to see on these boards and elsewhere that some women are returning to a minimal number of tried and true products that work for them.  They're beginning to realize that they look and feel better for doing so -- and that their wallets are better off too. 

Honored Contributor

@vsm wrote:

I think "clean beauty" is pure sales hype -- just the latest mantra in an industry that thrives on fads, trends, the latest/newest/most innovative "powerhouse," etc.  Even within skincare lines, there are dozens and dozens of utterly redundant products (take a look at Josie Maran and Dr, Denese, as just two of countless examples).  Don't get me wrong -- I like and use a few of their items myself.  But I'm glad to see on these boards and elsewhere that some women are returning to a minimal number of tried and true products that work for them.  They're beginning to realize that they look and feel better for doing so -- and that their wallets are better off too. 

@vsm   You're right. There's a lot of hype to wade through. Many women are still looking for the fountain of youth or the next new thing. That's who these companies are preying on. I've always said it's best to choose products that work for your skin, have a simple routine and stay with it. If it's working, why keep looking for something else?

Honored Contributor

Those knowledgeable about skincare understand the benefits to stay informed and to thoughtfully adopt new tools or ingredients/products. I don't made constant changes to my routine, but am open to trying something new. And I don't rely on a single source for advice or products

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Alison Wonderland   There's also confusion in terms clean beauty, not tested on animals and organic. Reading labels sometimes is no help. 

A lot of the labels don't mean anything. There are some criteria in place for clean and getting something like a leaping bunny certificate, but I agree, there's a lot of confusion. Bite was already a "Clean" brand before they decided to take it vegan, as well.

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Yes. The words "Clean beauty" does not mean cruelty free. You have to look for the words "not tested on animals" or the words "cruelty free" listed in the description. Even the customer service at Sephora doesn't know this.