Trusted Contributor

Re: SEPHORA ... OR ... ULTA?

@Tinkrbl44  I like both for different reasons but I tend to shop at Ulta more often than not. I love their very generous rewards program. Last month I had a $50.00 rewards credit so I applied it to my purchase and only paid a fraction of the cost of the item I was buying. Sephora seems to have more brands from which to choose. 

Honored Contributor

I'm more Sephora, but I do shop at Ulta too. Each one has products I use the other doesn't have.

Years ago I boycotted Ulta. It wasn't long after they opened, and they were far from the Ulta they are today. I think their main beauty line was Studio Gear.  DD and I were there on a Friday night. The manager on duty yelled at one of her employees in front of everyone. The young girl was crying. I asked for the manager's name before I left and called the company that Saturday. Someone was supposed to call me back, but never did.

I stayed away for a few years. Then I went back for some reason. I was glad to see that manager wasn't there. There was a young mua there who helped me, so I told her why I had stayed away. She said, "That's my sister-in-law"! I felt terrible! The girl put her hand on my arm and said not to. She said she's really hard to live with, she got the job because of the way she looked, and others had had bad experiences with her too. She left to work for a cosmetic company in their offices.

At least she didn't have to deal with employees and customers!   Smiley Wink

Valued Contributor

If they were side by side, I'd shop Sephora. However, Ulta is smart as they have drugstore items in addition to prestige.

I actually worked in Ulta last summer for 3 months (I'm almost 67).  I'm the 'go-to' person for my friends and family with makeup, skincare, perfumes, etc. so I wanted a 'fun' PT job. I worked two days a week, 4 to 5 hours.  It was a fast-moving job with lots of walking, stocking, etc.  Mostly, I helped in the prestige area - helping lots and lots of ladies all ages, but as I worked weekdays, I helped lots of ladies over 50.  They appreciated having someone who was a bit older lol.  

I left because of a young manager who spoke very condescending to me and I thought "do I need this????"  She definitely needed 'people skills' training.  Also, I was on the cash register way more than I was supposed to be.  

I did enjoy helping people and had many nice coworkers and beauty reps.  Someone even stopped me at the grocery store and said "you helped me buy my foundation, thank you so much!'  

I do like both stores but man, do they ever have a ton of brands!  Who needs all of those choices????

Honored Contributor

@tarsmom wrote:

If they were side by side, I'd shop Sephora. However, Ulta is smart as they have drugstore items in addition to prestige.

I actually worked in Ulta last summer for 3 months (I'm almost 67).  I'm the 'go-to' person for my friends and family with makeup, skincare, perfumes, etc. so I wanted a 'fun' PT job. I worked two days a week, 4 to 5 hours.  It was a fast-moving job with lots of walking, stocking, etc.  Mostly, I helped in the prestige area - helping lots and lots of ladies all ages, but as I worked weekdays, I helped lots of ladies over 50.  They appreciated having someone who was a bit older lol.  

I left because of a young manager who spoke very condescending to me and I thought "do I need this????"  She definitely needed 'people skills' training.  Also, I was on the cash register way more than I was supposed to be.  

I did enjoy helping people and had many nice coworkers and beauty reps.  Someone even stopped me at the grocery store and said "you helped me buy my foundation, thank you so much!'  

I do like both stores but man, do they ever have a ton of brands!  Who needs all of those choices????

@tarsmom 

Very insightful post .....

I guess there are a gazillion brands because the profit margin is very high on cosmetics, and even with all the brands on the market, we buy enough product to support them!  

Valued Contributor

And Tik Tok drives a lot of the new brands 

Respected Contributor

Ulta is about 2 miles from our home...I drive much further than that to go to Sephora, which is not often.

Ulta always has a long line with one cashier open; they always have an eager-beaver associate follow me around,  asking if I need help...maybe I look so bad they want to fix me. I tell them repeatedly (and nicely) if i need help I would be sure to let them know....to no avail. I just go to Sephora, mainly to buy gifts for granddaughters or daughters. It is cleaner, smaller, and I like how things are organized. The staff is attentive but I don't have to worry about them running into me if I stop to look at something. The checkout process is always quick and courteous.