Honored Contributor

What's your preference?  

I buy so many of my long time products online, and am glad to not have to go into B&M stores all the time.

Last week I stopped in a local Ulta and remembered why I don't like shopping there .....  most products are segregated by product line, not item.   So, if I wanted a moisturizer or can of hair spray, I'd have to do to several different sections of the store to see which manufacturer has what.

I hate that.

I also noticed that this Ulta suddenly has a new competitor in that shopping center .... a Sephora opened just three doors down from that Ulta store!  LOL

I can't remember when I was in a Sephora last, but thought I'd ask .... do you prefer one store over the other .... and why?

TIA !   Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: SEPHORA ... OR ... ULTA?

[ Edited ]

Honestly, my preference is to try to avoid these 2 and find it on ebay or amazon, same item for less, usually ebay is my go to. But in a pinch, my choice is Ulta. 

Esteemed Contributor

Sephora. Ulta usually only has one cashier open and when I check out they always try to sell me a magazines subscription or something else. Sephora is quick, has much more to choose from.

Contributor

Both, depending on what I'm looking for.  Ulta is really my first choice because it is more conveniently located for me and they have a good selection. Sephora to me is a little more upscale.

Honored Contributor

I shop at both.  I've never been in either store where the products aren't grouped by brand.  That would seem odd to me if they weren't.  Both stores I go to are always well stocked, friendly, easy check-out - at least 2 or more registers open - and the only thing I'm asked at the checkout at both stores is if I want to open a store credit card.  I'd expect that - Macy's & other stores do that too so don't find that odd or bothersome.  They never push it.

Respected Contributor

I prefer a department store that has designated brand counters and representatives paid by that brand. I think more accurate advice is received in consultations. The public cannot reach or touch products that are to be sold. Therefore, I think they are less likely to have been opened or sampled by a customer.

Both Ulta and Sephora feel like shopping at a drug store.

Honored Contributor

YES YES YES, I have a preference but I'll start by saying I haven't been in a B&M store in 2 1/2 years.  I don't miss it tho.  I've learned to prefer shopping from home.  Sephora's returns are so uncomplicated and no questions asked.  I prefer Sephora's much larger product images also.  They have the brands I want and Ulta usually doesn't.  The last time I was in an Ulta (with a list) they carried one of the 4 product brands I wanted but didn't have the exact product I needed in that brand.  Seems like the store lighting wasn't less than desirable.  If I want drugstore makeup I'll go to WM but to be fair I guess I can understand their desire to cater to both prestige and drugstore products.  I have been ignored in Ulta.  It's a chore to actually find someone to help.  The attitude of the sales ladies have been snooty Smiley Surprised  I've walked out more than once because no one would help me.  Why did I bother going in there then?  Convenience.  My baby Sephora is in a JC Pennys.  And Sephora cares enough to send me product suggestions they think I might like Smiley Wink  I feel comfortable and the experience (in store) has always been a positive one.  Not so much at Ulta.  I guess online it boils down to Sephora having the brands I want with easy checkout and returns and Ulta doesn't.  The one positive I can say about ordering online from Ulta is they have faster delivery.

Honored Contributor

If I shopped online only I would probably buy a lot less, so that would be the main reason to do so.  I like to browse.  

I mostly go to Ulta since it is a larger store and carries a larger selection especially for hair.  The Sephora is a bit more of a walk in the same outdoor complex although if I park in the Belk lot I can get there from behind.  I call our Sephora a mini store, much smaller than a standard Sephora store but larger than the little kiosks they put in a Pennys or Kohls.  

There are a few things I always get from Sephora.  Even though Ulta now carries Nars, they don't seem to have a section dedicated to it.  They were not selling Nars when I bought my first Nars foundation, and the Sephora rep spent time with me to choose the right color for my complexion, so I always buy my foundation there even if Ulta carries it.  Also, Hourglass products which Ulta doesn't carry.  I've been using Hourglass translucent setting powder for awhile now, but recently decided to try their Ambient Light.  I like to get the minis since I only wear makeup once a week, but that means I have to buy it online as my store doesn't usually carry the minis.  You have to go through a maze of trial size products to get to the checkout at Sephora and they get me every time with those.  I'm usually not interested in their freebies.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44   I don't think I can remember going to a store w/ shelves or row of cleansers or rows of eyeliners, etc. Even drugstores and Target are organized by brand.

I assume most people know what they're looking for and it usually is one line or another.

Sorry you have difficulty shopping that way. 

Honored Contributor

@On It 

Ah the good ol days of makeup shopping in dept sores Smiley Happy  Foleys, Macy's and Dillards.  The Lancome counter.  The Estee Lauder counter.  The Chanel counter.  The MAC counter.  The Dior counter??  I don't recall that one.  Maybe I just never shopped Dior at that time.  Now it's my favorite brand (it's taken the place of Fenty).  It's been so long since I've  been to a dept store, I don't even know what brands may be new to them.  Do dept stores have dedicated Tom Ford or Gucci, Westmam Atilier, etc counters?  Nieman's might but I never shopped NM for myself.  I shopped there for my baby thru middle school and that wasn't for makeup except for one fragrance.