Super Contributor

I've read it is so good for your skin so I ordered some. It is bright yellow in color, has a small odor and is thick on my skin. Is that the way it is supposed to be? I know with Vitamin C serum if it is yellow, it is oxidized. Since I had trouble with the delivery of this and several other items, I was just wondering if this is the way Rosehip seed oil is supposed to look? Thanks.

Super Contributor

Is it pure rosehip oil or mixed with other oils? I would not describe it as thick. It's about the same as argan oil. Not as thick as olive oil. Also, it is not bright yellow. Again, about the same color as argan or jojoba. Color can vary but it is not bright yellow. If it is mixed with other oils, then hard to say what viscosity or color is correct since the other oils will effect both. Most oils have shelf life of 6 months to one year, some are two years. Bad oil has a definite rancid odor, it would not be described as slight. Many oils naturally have a slight odor.

Beauty blogger and YTer who loves it all! Cheers, Lulu Bea aka Lulu On Beauty - Let's be FACEBOOK beauty friends!
Esteemed Contributor

RHSO varies in color -- yellow to orange to reddish orange. I've gotten the orangy ones already, but my present one is more on the yellow side.

Yes, a bit of an odor, (as most natural oils do have) but any oil should not be anything on the rancid side.

I would say this is a substantial oil (like olive oil). Not as light, oily feeling like argan. An even lighter oil that I like is hazelnut (if you've ever had those to compare).

On my face, I do not use an oil straight up, but combine mine w/ HA serum or aloe vera gel. I'll use them straight up on cuticles or hands, though.

Vitamin C serum is an entirely different "animal." You wouldn't compare colors with that. Colors in the different oils are going to vary. Colorless to me means it has been refined -- too much!

Super Contributor

My rose hip is a darker yellow and a bit thicker, about the same as argon oil. I will use it straight on my face but in a very tiny amount or in with my night cream. My newest thing is that I got a small spray bottle and put bottled water in with a couple of drops of argon, rose hip and one drop of tea tree. I spray my face with it when it feels dry or you can spray into your hands and pat your face. It's nice, refreshing but not too much oil. I also will spray my hair with it.

Valued Contributor

I just started using this as a result of hearing great things on this board! It is an antioxidant, right? I found mine at TJMaxx! Mine is definitely a yellow color. The bottle says it is cold pressed and organic. I would not say it has an odor because for me that connotes a bad smell...mine has a heavenly soft rose smell. I followed the directions and put just one drop on my finger, massaged that drop between my hands, then pressed my hands to my face. I can see if I used more than that my face would be greasy. One drop is perfect. Then I rub the tops of my hands with any that might be left. I am putting it on my face after my Paula's Choice BHA, Vit C serum, (rose hip seed oil), then Paula's Choice moisturizer. My face feels hydrated all day long {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}.

Frequent Contributor

I got one from Aubrey, just a couple weeks ago. It is a yellowish color, I don't notice much of a smell. I have a problem with oils absorbing in my skin. This one says to massage in the skin + it absorbs well.

Super Contributor

My rose hip is a darker yellow and a bit thicke

Honored Contributor

I've been using it for years (and the same one for the last 5 years or so) and it is a darkish yellow color. I don't find RHSO to be particularly thick- in fact, it seems to be one of the lighter oils of the ones I use-but that is all relative compared to what you are use to.

Like another poster said too, the color will vary depending on what company, the source of their RHSO and how it is processed, refined, etc.

Trusted Contributor
Mine is very thick and has a distinct odor, had a problem getting it to absorb. I won't buy this again.
Respected Contributor
I store mine in the fridge.