Super Contributor
On 11/8/2014 Katluvr58 said:

F1, I use the ASDM one from ebay and love it. I am on my second bottle. JM AO also works great. My daughter is Asian with tiny lashes, she uses the AO and keeps showing me that her lashes are longer, lol. I use AO and the RHO. Both are great. To answer another question, no you don't get puffy eyes. Actually I have been using oils under my eyes as well because creams make me puffy. The plus side is that the ASDM RHO brightens my skin (face) and keeps the spots at bay.

Cheers! Is the ebay price even better than ASDM direct?

Respected Contributor
On 11/9/2014 Beauty$Junkie said:

Aprilskies, I have kept mine in the refrigerator, as I was told it has a very short shelf life. However, even when I first got it, I was not crazy about the smell. The smell is somewhat fishy, but seems to dissipate quickly enough. I am not sure how you have stored yours, so it may be rancid?? I have had mine for way longer than the shelf life, but I will probably keep using it to get rid of it.

I want to say I got this in June just never opened it. I kept it in my linen closet. I didnt realize it needs to be refrigerated until just recently. Mine smells fishy but it just lingers all day, I wouldnt mind if it just dissipated. I will put it in the frig and see if that helps. If not, I will order another one and see if there is a difference. I would love for it to help with some dark spots. Thank you for your help, Beauty$Junkie.
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for your replies. I did not realize the oil had a smell. Are there any brands that have less of a smell? I am going to Whole Foods today.

Thanks

Frequent Contributor

Could any one answer my last question?

Thanks for your help.

Super Contributor
On 11/9/2014 my3britts said:

Thanks for your replies. I did not realize the oil had a smell. Are there any brands that have less of a smell? I am going to Whole Foods today.

Thanks

Hi 3britts,

I've been using Aura Cacia RHSO for many years and the only scent that I've ever experienced is what I would describe as fresh, clean and pleasant, but it doesn't linger.

I chose it for a number of reasons and at the top of that list is that the raw ingredient producers add D-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate (Vit E) which acts as a preservative.

It's sourced in the Patagonia region, Chile. It's organic and cold pressed, with a rich color. I keep it refrigerated and it's recommended to use within 6 months. It comes in a 1oz. (which is plenty for a good 6 mo. supply) amber glass pump bottle. Roughly $9.

It's available online and chances are Whole Foods may carry it.

Here's some info if you're interested:

https://www.auracacia.com/rosehip-seed-oil/

this one gives a well rounded desription of RHSO from Chile:

http://www.inkanatural.com/en/arti.asp?ref=rosehip-oil-en

Honored Contributor
On 11/9/2014 my3britts said:

Thanks

The only "smell" I've ever detected is a slight rose scent (comes from rosehip seeds so that would make sense). I would run the other way if there was a fishy scent as something wouldn't be right with it.The scent doesn't linger once it is on, imo.

I am sure there are other brands with less scent but that would mean that it is more refined/processed, which every time you refine/process it, you are losing some of the valuable nutrients. Good luck!

ETA: in the several years I've used RHSO, I've never tried one that smelled "fishy" or anything other than a very light natural rose scent.

Valued Contributor
On 11/8/2014 HappyDaze said:

It isn't a quick fix by any means but for me it truly worked without any scary chemicals, etc so I've been very happy with the results. For my lashes, with daily use, I'd say it took 2 months or so to really notice that they were no longer breaking off like they'd occasionally do and about 3 months to see that the length had significantly increased. Now if you already have longer lashes, I have no idea but my lashes have always been kind of puny and broke pretty easily so I was really able to notice a difference.

Thanks, HappyDaze. I'm seriously thinking about trying the RHO; just a little apprehensive about putting the oil so near my eyes. Our local vitamin shop carries this line and also the Aura Cacia line. I noticed however, that it speaks to not using near the eye area, which is my concern. Your opinion?

Frequent Contributor

Magemay & HappyDaze thanks for answering my question.

Could any one answer the last question posted by HisElk?

Thanks! This board is a wealth of smart beauties!!!!!

Honored Contributor
On 11/9/2014 HisElk said:

It isn't a quick fix by any means but for me it truly worked without any scary chemicals, etc so I've been very happy with the results. For my lashes, with daily use, I'd say it took 2 months or so to really notice that they were no longer breaking off like they'd occasionally do and about 3 months to see that the length had significantly increased. Now if you already have longer lashes, I have no idea but my lashes have always been kind of puny and broke pretty easily so I was really able to notice a difference.

Thanks, HappyDaze. I'm seriously thinking about trying the RHO; just a little apprehensive about putting the oil so near my eyes. Our local vitamin shop carries this line and also the Aura Cacia line. I noticed however, that it speaks to not using near the eye area, which is my concern. Your opinion?

I have sensitive eyes and cannot use many things near my eyes- from chemical sunscreens to many facial cleansers and moisturizers. I cannot use castor oil or baby oil near my eyes. I have been able to use RHO, marula, baobab and argan oil on my lashes with no issues but RHO is my favorite. I don't saturate the lashes though, just apply a thin coat of it with the mascara wand. There isn't any dripping down my lashes into my eyes. I know alot of people who have been using RHO around the eyes for a long time now and no issues. I also know they make eye creams to use around the eyes as well. I've never read anything about not using RHO near my eyes and would be curious as to why it says not to unless it is in case of irritation, basically a CYA type warning.

Valued Contributor
On 11/9/2014 HappyDaze said:
On 11/9/2014 HisElk said:

I have sensitive eyes and cannot use many things near my eyes- from chemical sunscreens to many facial cleansers and moisturizers. I cannot use castor oil or baby oil near my eyes. I have been able to use RHO, marula, baobab and argan oil on my lashes with no issues but RHO is my favorite. I don't saturate the lashes though, just apply a thin coat of it with the mascara wand. There isn't any dripping down my lashes into my eyes. I know alot of people who have been using RHO around the eyes for a long time now and no issues. I also know they make eye creams to use around the eyes as well. I've never read anything about not using RHO near my eyes and would be curious as to why it says not to unless it is in case of irritation, basically a CYA type warning.

Thanks. Perhaps it is a CYA thing. I just checked Vitamin shop's site and interestingly enough, 2 brands, NOW and Aura Cacia both advise to not use near eyes. STO description says nothing about avoiding the eye area.

EDIT: Do you use the RO and carrot perfecting serum from STO? TIA. Just want to make sure I'm going to order the right one.

Thanks so much for your time; you are very helpful.