Super Contributor

Re: Rosecea skincare help please

On 11/9/2014 kalinka said: Thanks to all of you for the great suggestions. I will look into all of these recommendations from you guys. Does this skin condition ever completely go away?

No cure, sorry, but is treatable. What is good for 1 person is bad for another. Finacea worked for me, so did Alpha Hydrox lotion, souffle and pads.

Contributor

I was diagnosed with mild rosacea in my late 40s. It was mild enough that I wasn't put on any meds or creams. I still use a retin A and sometimes Paula's BHA products as it helps to keep my enlarged pores and oilier skin looking better. I find I just have to watch things that are heavily fragranced or using too many products at once. I still use the Clarisonic several times a week.

Valued Contributor

Talk to your doctor again. Finacea works fine for me. SkinCeuticals has product called Redness Neutralizer and it helps reduce the redness. You might use Cetaphil to cleanse your skin. I have to be very careful about the products that I use. They have a line especially those with rosacea. The doctor's nurse told me to use mineral make up. I use Hourglass. It is pricey, but my skin seems fine. Also, like someone in the thread recomended watch your diet.

Honored Contributor

I'll tell you what has helped mine.....some. On the recommendation of someone on these boards, I bought a bar of Basis Soap.

After I've washed my face with my usual cleanser, I wash it again with Basis Soap. It's made quite a difference. I'm fortunate (so far, knock on wood) that my Rosacea has been fairly mild, but this soap has made a good difference. It's really helped with the flakiness. And I haven't had a big outbreak in quite awhile now. I figured for a few dollars for the bar, it was worth a try. I've been very pleased.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Contributor

On 11/9/2014 BaileyandBella said:
On 11/9/2014 irish26 said:

I have had Rosacea for many years. The only cream (and I have tried too many to count) that works for me is CeraVe (it is in a pot) and is used for face and body. Please give it a try. I think you will be pleased. Best of luck.

Does this make you break out?

No, it doesn't make me break out (and my skin is VERY sensitive).

Honored Contributor

On 11/9/2014 kalinka said: Thanks to all of you for the great suggestions. I will look into all of these recommendations from you guys. Does this skin condition ever completely go away?

No, it doesn't go away. It can be manageable though. Like I said earlier, I use Paula's Choice Skin Recovery line and love it. For make-up, I use Laura Mercier Silk Creme foundation. It is medium to full coverage. It's very buildable and looks very natural. My rosacea is mild, and these two things keep it from being too noticeable.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Contributor

I am also on an antibiotic and Finacea, both of which are not working very well. The hard thing about rosacea is figuring out your triggers. One of my triggers is weather change and when I start to get the rosacea to calm down the season changes and unfortunately for me I live in a 4-climate change area of the US. My rosacea is the worst in the winter because it's cold outside and then walking into a place where the heat is on. I develop rashes and also itching and burning on my face.

I wanted to pass on to you the list my dermatologist gave me of ingredients to avoid for rosacea suffers: salicylic acid; glycolic acids; retinols; Qenzyme 10; alpha, beta or polyhydroxy acids; lactic acid; any product that promises younger looking skin (anti-aging). Avoid potentially irritating facial procedures including: peels; facials; loofahs; masks; scrubbers; microdermabrasion; exfoliators.

As you can see there isn't much that you really can use with rosacea. You will need to find the products that work for you. I have tried a lot of products and nothing seems to help. I have tried Paula's Choice products, Body Shop Aloe products, VitaCream, Cetaphil, CeraVe....the list goes on. Good luck in finding the products that work for you.

Respected Contributor

This was my experience. I had pretty severe redness but no acne. It made my neck and ears even flush and sting. Unfortunately, the meds did not really help nor did antibiotics. My derm recommended pulse dye laser which completely bruises out your skin and destroys those excess blood vessels. I was in hiding for two weeks. I had this done twice. The results were amazing.This was done 20 years ago.

It wiped out most of the redness to the extent that I do nothing special now except use mild skin products and sunscreen faithfully. He said no Clarisonic for me. I am very fair and my skin is pretty sensitive. I agree with Irish on the CeraVe cream.

I still have IPL laser (no bruising) to keep the little redness I still have down and I have some broken caps on my nose I get treated as they come up. I go in about every 3 years for that.

Even though Rosacea is considered chronic my redness has been reduced to such a small amount that I consider myself pretty well 'cured'. Even without makeup no one would ever know I had Rosacea. Just fair skin with pink undertones.

However, please if you consider having laser treatment go to a competent derm who is experienced with treating Rosacea and seek their advice. Chain laser places are not 'good enough' imho.

Regular Contributor

Again, thanks to all of you. The derm also said that stress might be a trigger, since that's the only thing which has become severe in the last few weeks. I was always fine with the other potential triggers, so I blame it on the stress. The doc also said if none of the meds work then IPL should help They said the each treatment is about $100 and I'd probably need 4-5 . So I guess that means that I can't use my algenist retinol anymore. How sad, I really liked it. I will give it some time for the meds to work, hopefully they will. Thanks to all again
Respected Contributor

I have rosacea also and use Hydron fairly exlusively. I love the cleansing cream! I also use Heather Loraine jojoba oil (both as a cleanser and moisturizer) - the filtered clear one on the right, not the golden.

Product Image