Honored Contributor

Re: Rose quartz roller for skin

There are many gadgets now claiming anti-aging benefits. After my one and only Botox experience, my doc handed me an ice pack that he banged on the counter to activate. I held it to the few reddened areas and in 10 minutes, they were gone. That’s a mighty inexpensive way to get cooling affects on the skin.

Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

There are $7 jade-ish rollers online I am thinking of buying coworkers. I wasn't even thinking of them as skin care to show improvement but rather as massagers for tension, headache and de-stressors with the cool temp of the stone and smoothing pressure. 

I agree. I think there's benefit to the massage and using a cool implement. Depending on what you read, some say that a stone (jade, quartz) or glass tool is good compared to metal because of the way it holds/releases the temperature, but I have no idea if that's accurate. If so, that's about the only property I would consider 'special' about a stone vs metal. I've heard 

I think a glass or metal tool would be more sanitary, because I think stone is porous, even if polished.

@Alison Wonderland  If you want to try the theory, put a crystal stemware glass or smoothe crystal or just glass in the frig. Let it cool and rub it on skin. See any difference? 

I’m sure this entire phenomenon is based on Joan Crawford’s habit of waking up and submerging her face into a sink full of ice/ice water. Not sure if that had benefits.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

But, it was hand-cut rose quartz which makes it particularly special, right?  Woman LOL

@Icegoddess  Tongue in cheek, I hope. If hand cut would cost a lot more.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

But, it was hand-cut rose quartz which makes it particularly special, right?  Woman LOL

@Icegoddess  Tongue in cheek, I hope. If hand cut would cost a lot more.

@Shanus, I thought the laughing head said it all.  Anyways, I don't see that hand cut makes it any better than a machine cut quartz.  It might make it more expensive due to the labor involved, but nothing special in my book.  

Honored Contributor

This was by far one of the most ridiculous skincare/beauty items I've seen. 

The garbage people fall for amazes me. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I  was speechless when I saw the price of that TS set. Moisturizer and a piece of rock for $100...Woman Indifferent

If you want something that works pretty good, try this steel chill roller from amazon. Stick the roller part in the freezer then take it out when you need it. I found out about this thing from my derm's office. 

download (1).jpg

@SilleeMee  What are the benefits of this roller?

These kinds of rollers are mostly used for 'icing' the skin to cool it down, after laser treatments or when you need to de-puff or ice down inflammation from an injury. They also help close pores on the face after you have used something warm on it. I use mine on my face for redness reduction. It's all temporary.  @Shanus

eta- this roller stays cold for a very long time. It is gel-filled for freezing to keep it cold.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

There are $7 jade-ish rollers online I am thinking of buying coworkers. I wasn't even thinking of them as skin care to show improvement but rather as massagers for tension, headache and de-stressors with the cool temp of the stone and smoothing pressure. 

I agree. I think there's benefit to the massage and using a cool implement. Depending on what you read, some say that a stone (jade, quartz) or glass tool is good compared to metal because of the way it holds/releases the temperature, but I have no idea if that's accurate. If so, that's about the only property I would consider 'special' about a stone vs metal. I've heard 

I think a glass or metal tool would be more sanitary, because I think stone is porous, even if polished.

@Alison Wonderland  If you want to try the theory, put a crystal stemware glass or smoothe crystal or just glass in the frig. Let it cool and rub it on skin. See any difference? 

I’m sure this entire phenomenon is based on Joan Crawford’s habit of waking up and submerging her face into a sink full of ice/ice water. Not sure if that had benefits.

Yes, I see a difference. If you live in Texas and it's 105 degrees out or 90 degrees with 90% humidity, a cool implement on the skin feels fantastic. I don't believe they improve skin quality at all, but it can certainly help mood. And that's what these two posts were about.  Lizzie said she didn't think of it as skincare but as a de-stressor and I agreed.