Honored Contributor

Rose Hip Oil & Order of Applying Facial Products

I was watching one of my favorite bloggers (Little Poet) and her rave about Rose Hip oil.  I bought some and really do like it!  My face is softer, signs of fine lines are better already and it's helping with blemishes.  My mother bought some and it's helping with inflammation (roseca), itchy skin and dryness.  

I also use Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Moisturizer.  I found an article that says oils should go on after moisturizers because moisturizers can't penetrate thru oils.  THEN saw an article that says facial treatments should go on thinnest to thickest (thinnest being first).  Sooooo, are oils, at a molecular level, thinner or thicker?  

Thanks

Honored Contributor

Re: Rose Hip Oil & Order of Applying Facial Products

I apply oils last after serums & moisturizer.

Honored Contributor

For layering, oil last. But it might work better for you to mix the two together in your hand. A moistuizer is oil mixed into water. So mixing in more oil in your hand and using it right away would make the most sense.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

First serums, then creams or moisterizers, then oils.  The oil will help to seal everything in, and it's correct that the other treatments probably can't penetrate the oil.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I've always understood to apply serums first. Moisturizers and oils can be combined, used separately and be applied in either order....personal preferences considered.

Honored Contributor

Moisturerizers are supposed to do what the name implies. Oils do not moisturize. They seal in the moisture. Apply oil after you moisturize.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

I love Little Poet too.  I feel so badly about her dog passing away.  I thought he was the  most beautiful dog.  It seems so sad to see her videos now, and see her without Cooper.  I hope she gets another dog soon, although, of course, she has to do it when she's ready. Some people need to adopt very quickly (like my husband and me), but some people need much more time to grieve and be ready to adopt again.

I'm off your topic, but I wanted to say that I get so, so confused by this order of application, that I decided some time back to just use two products per night (or day for that matter).  I alternate products, but usually just use two per night.  I wonder how many things the skin can absorb and really get benefits from at one time.

Then there are the nights that I just cleanse and do nothing else.  I tell myself I'm " letting my skin breathe", but who knows?  I have the feeling if I did nothing, my skin would probably look pretty much the same.

Honored Contributor

blueroses, I was heartbroken when I read about Coop.  I knew something was wrong when she didn't have a video up that weekend. Never dreamed it was Cooper Smiley Sad  I want to post to her channel about my experience losing our 11 yr old choc Lab.  She died in my arms from kidney disease.  But I don't want to dwell on the loss.  It's what God brought to us 6 weeks later that started the healing process.  A night of tornadoes and rain brought with it a Dingo/Akita or Dingo/Chow mix (according to the experts).  Out of nowhere he showed up on our patio, soaking wet, starved, scared, full of fleas and he had a gun shot wound.  He's ginger and cream.  And too stinkin' smart for his own good but we love him with all our hearts!  Two months later during a routine checkup, we found out he was heart worm positive, fairly advanced Smiley Sad  3+ months of being very still.  No playing, no activity, walking him to do his business.  Can't get hot or anxious or stressed.  Like many abandoned dogs, he developed separation anxiety when I left the house.  Doggie Xanax and Benedryl didn't work so guess who else got to stay home for 3+ months...ME! Smiley Surprised  He no longer exhibits separation anxiety and is healthy as a horse Smiley Happy

Card I made for the vet's office that saved his heart Smiley Happy

Littlel Poet may not think she can ever love a dog like she loved Cooper, but she can and WILL.

Thanks for your comment on the which to put on first.  I'm surprised I was doing it right LOL.  I don't use a lot of stuff, mostly because I'm too confused on what to use.  I'm having good luck with what I'm doing now Smiley Happy

Howie-Card.jpg

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone.  Can't believe I was doing it right Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Two layers is enough for me.  Josie's Argan Milk first massgae in skin and if I want to I will apply Marula oil or Argan oil with Rose and pat on.  During the day, it is Argan Milk and then my No. 7 moisturizer with spf 15.  Loving my skin right now.  HeartCat Very Happy

kindness is strength