Trusted Contributor

I've been hearing and reading a lot about the use of Rose Geranium essential oil as part of one's anti-aging skincare routine. 

I've used essential oils for their healing properties in treating colds and as first-aid for scrapes, wounds and insect bites. I always use them with a carrier oil, usually grapeseed.

Does anyone know about using Rose Geranium oil for skincare?  Thank you   

Contributor

Rose and geraniums are two separate essential oils. Both are good for skin care. I would be very careful with using a rose Essential oil from any company where you don’t know exactly where the oils come from because almost all rose oils are solvent extracted and I would not want that in or on my skin.

Esteemed Contributor

@Quinny 

I mix geranium EO, frankinsence and sandalwood with carrier oils to use as a facial massage, which I do most every morning. I've researched all 3 of these for topical use (but, as you know, not to be used straight up.)

I cannot tell you exactly of particular benefits, since I use and do other things for skin care. My skin is firm, clear and supple, so it I think it must lend to my overall good skin quality.

Honored Contributor

I know Geranium Oil has been used in some products designed for mattifying the skin and oil absorption. 

Trusted Contributor

@Debra Nugent wrote:

Rose and geraniums are two separate essential oils. Both are good for skin care. I would be very careful with using a rose Essential oil from any company where you don’t know exactly where the oils come from because almost all rose oils are solvent extracted and I would not want that in or on my skin.

there is such a thing as rose geranium oil which comes from the rose gernium plant .  I grow them.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Rose Geranium Oil??

[ Edited ]

@Debra Nugent  @IamDoodles   Rose Geranium oil comes from the Rose Geranium plant stem and leaves.  Yes, it is an oil and has been around for quite some time.    Rose oil is very expensive so Rose Geranium serves two purposes as a little bit of rose and geranium together.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Quinny  Rose Geranium oil is good for normal skin and also, believe it or not, broken capillaries.  Instead of spending a lot of money on Rose oil, Rose Geranium is the next best thing.  If you are looking for a really excellent book try "The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy."   by:  Valerie Ann Worwood.  It's my bible of oils and their uses, plus aromatherapy oils.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

If these are essential oils please be very careful using....they can burn the skin used straight.  Always add to a carrier oil and find out the ratio of oil to carrier oil so it is not too strong.

Trusted Contributor

I know how careful one needs to be with getting the correct essential oil to carrier oil ratio.  Most of the time, I use grapeseed oil as a carrier oil, but I've never used it on my face before.  

Does anyone know the best carrier oil to use on the face?

Esteemed Contributor

@Quinny wrote:

I know how careful one needs to be with getting the correct essential oil to carrier oil ratio.  Most of the time, I use grapeseed oil as a carrier oil, but I've never used it on my face before.  

Does anyone know the best carrier oil to use on the face?

@Quinny 

I don't know about "best"; I haven't tried them all yet! I know that certain oils seem to be "better" for certain skin types.

I don't use just one carrier oil, but a combination: rose hip, baobab, tamanu, argan, a vitamin e oil -- these are the ones I don't have to send away for. I think I also have cranberry in my present combination. Squalane and jojoba are supposed to be close to your own skin oil, so those might be a good universal choice.

In the past I really liked camilla, hemp seed & meadowfoam. The nut oils seem to be beneficial for more naturally oily complexion.

HTH!