Honored Contributor

Re: Roscaea - itching and burning!

I commiserate with you!  I have had this for several years now.  It's so frustrating and embarassing. When it flares, I get really depressed and don't want anyone to look at me! DH says -- it's not that bad -- you are just super sensitive about it.

Any how --- I am the same as you.  I never had bad skin my whole life.  Never experienced acne, etc. as a teenager -- maybe an occasional blemish, that was it.  Always had lovely, clear skin.  Suddenly, at about age 64 I began the redness, broken caps --- and that was bad enough, but shortly thereafter, began getting awful blemishes!  What?  At age 64???  

So, went to derm and told me --- yup --- Rosacea.  Didn't realize you could get blemishes with this.  He prescribed Metro Gel for me.  It has really calmed down the redness.  Not perfect but a lot better.  Now, my skin is dryer so I have switched to the Metro Cream.  He did not want to prescribe oral medications for me since I take so many other medications, but this might be an option for you.

It is imperative to use no products with fragrance of any kind.  My derm told me no scrubs of any kind.  Everyone is different, but he will not allow me any retonoid products either.  When washing face, a gentle hand --- lukewarm water --- cream cleansers.  Mineral makeup is better on skin.  Wear sunscreen all the time.  Alcohol, hot drinks, weather --- cold and hot, will affect the skin -- as well as stress.

Different things work for different people.  It's a process and I know from my own experiences, that I have periods where my skin is pretty good --- then -- boom --- another flare!  

Best wishes and be patient and know that it's not hopeless! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I wonder if First Aid Beauty would be helpful.  It has Colloidal Oatmeal which is calming to the skin.  It's also such a healing and gentle line.  I know people who have used it on themselves and their children for skin issues that were not corrected even by meds, and told me this did it for them.   

There is a Beauty IQ Steal deal for $29.96 that has their Ultra Repair Cream in the Original and Honeysuckle,  their BarriAir Cream and Facial Radiance Pads.  I just purchased 3 sets!  You could use the Original and BarriAir cream on your face, and the Honeysuckle on your body and the pads on your elbows and back of your arms if you didn't think it would be good for your face.   This is a great Try Me Priced kit.

I have the recent TSV large set of FAB on AD, but like this smaller set for travel.  Also, I never tried the BarriAir cream, so I'm anxious to do that.  One set is for my sister as well (always like to include her in the purchases that excite me!).    You can always return if it doesn't work for you and it's only around $33 with s&h. 

Good luck in  your search.  Let us know how you do @Fifi1 .

Valued Contributor

I use First Aid Beauty on my face and it has really helped.  A few years back I had a horrible flare up and I used Acure Marula oil and unscented Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion.  It took a long time to heal but those two products saved my face.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I commiserate with you!  I have had this for several years now.  It's so frustrating and embarassing. When it flares, I get really depressed and don't want anyone to look at me! DH says -- it's not that bad -- you are just super sensitive about it.

Any how --- I am the same as you.  I never had bad skin my whole life.  Never experienced acne, etc. as a teenager -- maybe an occasional blemish, that was it.  Always had lovely, clear skin.  Suddenly, at about age 64 I began the redness, broken caps --- and that was bad enough, but shortly thereafter, began getting awful blemishes!  What?  At age 64???  

So, went to derm and told me --- yup --- Rosacea.  Didn't realize you could get blemishes with this.  He prescribed Metro Gel for me.  It has really calmed down the redness.  Not perfect but a lot better.  Now, my skin is dryer so I have switched to the Metro Cream.  He did not want to prescribe oral medications for me since I take so many other medications, but this might be an option for you.

It is imperative to use no products with fragrance of any kind.  My derm told me no scrubs of any kind.  Everyone is different, but he will not allow me any retonoid products either.  When washing face, a gentle hand --- lukewarm water --- cream cleansers.  Mineral makeup is better on skin.  Wear sunscreen all the time.  Alcohol, hot drinks, weather --- cold and hot, will affect the skin -- as well as stress.

Different things work for different people.  It's a process and I know from my own experiences, that I have periods where my skin is pretty good --- then -- boom --- another flare!  

Best wishes and be patient and know that it's not hopeless! 

I'm so glad I read your comments! Now I know why the retonoid product of PTR's didn't work but left me red! Years ago I was told to use gentle, sensitive skin products. I've been using Andaou 1000 roses products..also PTR's Cloud cream cleanser and the Cloud cream moisturizer. All of these products contain hyaluronic acid. When I used metrogel, it dried out my skin and made everything worse. Moisture is the key. This started for me in my 50's! 

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

@emmysmom 

I hope my suggestions helped a bit!  What works for one may not work for another.  As for the Metro Gel, I used it for quite a while and then suddenly it was too dry for me also. See if your derm will prescribe Metro Cream instead.  It is much more gentle and not drying at all!  I have read where others can use retoinoid products but not me!  Best of luck!!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@emmysmom 

I hope my suggestions helped a bit!  What works for one may not work for another.  As for the Metro Gel, I used it for quite a while and then suddenly it was too dry for me also. See if your derm will prescribe Metro Cream instead.  It is much more gentle and not drying at all!  I have read where others can use retoinoid products but not me!  Best of luck!!!! 

Oh no...I'm fine now and have been for years...I use products for sensitive skin, thats all I needed. The metrogel was so drying...I was lucky to meet someone at Whole Foods that suggested I use organic cleansers and moisturizers..they continue to work for me. Heart

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West