Regular Contributor

For those of you with rosacea, does it cause your face to swell? I've had rosacea for years and years but it never made my face swollen. It's mostly on the right side of the face. The left side isn't as bad. My sinus area under the eye is swollen and so is the whole cheek. The cheek is real red and itches horribly. Maybe now I'm just having a bad flare-up. I quit taking Zyrtec last winter and just started it again and it seems to help some. 

Does this sound like rosacea or an allergy to something?

Esteemed Contributor

@Violet Fields That is a very good question, I too have both, one morning a long time ago I woke up with redness and swelling over half of my face and the itching drove me crazy, I was able to go to a doctor that day and they treated me for allergies, they gave me a presciption and the redness/swelling//itching subsided very shortly, so I guess I would tend to say allergy related, fortunately for me, it has never happened again, so I cannot say 100% though.

Respected Contributor

Hi I have rosecea and I don't get swelling.  

Honored Contributor

Sounds like allergy with sinus involvement.  If you can afford it, see a doctor.  If not, go back on your Zyrtec.  Whenever the drug commercials start on TV I know my allergies are going to act up more than normal.  Mold, etc.  Weather is damp and stuff is starting to grow. 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Thanks for your replies! I saw my dermatologist a few weeks ago and at that time the swelling was very minor. He said it's probably dry skin causing a rosacea flare-up. But now it's much more swollen so I'm kind of doubting it's rosacea and leaning toward allergy like you guys said. I started a new medicine over 2 months ago but that's kind of late in the game for an allergy but I don't know. 

@depglassThe snow just melted, so I'm sure there's mold everywhere and I am allergic to it. Maybe allergies are extra bad this year? My walls should probably be dusted too because this is the first year with a pellet stove and the dust from that thing is bad!