Honored Contributor

Rosacea Ladies - Any new treatments, skin care, makeup, tips, you could share?

Hello Rosacea Ladies!

I started a large thread on this subject a while back and there was a lot of good exchange.  I was hoping there might be some new info that some of you would like to share!

I am having increased symptoms and am very disheartened and disgusted by the current condition of my skin!  I made appointment with my derm. which won't be for another week, but am not hopeful for much help.

I was wondering if any here would want to list any information that have come across -- whether it be treatments, things over the counter you have found that seem to help sooth, heal, comfort or what have you, the many symptoms of this condition.

Also, what cleansers, moisturizers, makeup, etc. you might currently be using that you are pleased with.

Currently, I am experiencing more flakiness, red blemish type things, small white pustules, itchiness, and just generally a miserable situation!  

My derm, though I ask, does not have ever any suggestions for types of makeups or other things such as this which might help a person to feel or look more human.

Tbank you for sharing -- anything is appreciated! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Rosacea Ladies - Any new treatments, skin care, makeup, tips, you could share?

Seeing your derm is the best step to take.  I had horrible redness, scabbing, burning, and 'pimples' for almost 20 years.  I also used several products prescribed by one derm.  Then, I changed derms -- my new doctor prescribed a white cream in a tube that started with "L" (sorry, I don't remember the name of the med).  My rosacea was gone in 2 weeks.   I never refilled the med because my rosacea never came back after using one tube.

Also, I wonder if getting older had something to do with it?  My rosacea was very angry during my late 40's-50's.  I was over 60 when I got this 'miracle drug' and my rosacea was totally gone.  Never returned.

Back in my 50's I was using lots of skincare products.  Expensive products, some QVC products, all layered one on top of the other.  A layer for this, a layer for that..... I was suffocating my skin!  Then, I simplified.  Started using 'gentle' skin care products from the drug store (brands recommended by my new derm).  No more layering.  One and done.  My complexion looks much better now than it did 20 years ago - seriously.   My skin is happier, brighter, and more youthful. 

I highly recommend CeraVe and Neutrogena products.  Amara Organics (dot com) retinol cream and vitamin C.

Good luck!   

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Valued Contributor

Re: Rosacea Ladies - Any new treatments, skin care, makeup, tips, you could share?

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 I have what my derm calls "mild rosacea," which is basically just redness and irritation (like occasional itchiness). She recommended long ago that I steer clear of all well-known brands and use the Avene brand (Eau Thermale Avene) of skincare, which is made for all highly sensitive skin types. They have specific products for rosacea/redness, but I actually just use one of their moisturizers made for very dry skin.  To say my redness was very reduced and skin itchiness gone almost immediately is the understatement of the year!  My skin loves Avene. 

Valued Contributor

It's not a support group I don't think, but I found a website by a David Pascoe that occasionally has articles about Rosacea.  I have had a terrible time this past winter.  I wish I could go to a derm but not happening any time soon.

On this website there was a hint that Cetaphil might come out with some products especially for Rosacea but nothing more than hints.

I just keep my skin care and make up simple. I do like L'Oreal's True Match green color crayon to help hide my redness.  I think it cost me less than $8 at Walmart. I have tried IT Redness powder and that works for me.  

Good luck.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I get mine laser treated about every couple of years or whenever my redness and dots get too noticeable and difficult to cover with concealers. The laser really helps knock down a lot of my redness and some benefits come with it, too.Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1... years ago when I was dealing with active rosacea where I was breaking out and had a lot of redness, the best course of action was to take an antibiotic for a couple of weeks. It always got rid of it and then the treatments worked and kept it completely away.

I used Finacea and Metrocream and still use Metrocream when I have redness. It seems to completely get rid of the redness and my skin is good enough to go makeup free. I also have adapted a cleansing regime that is mild and not abrasive (Cerave). My moisturizer is not an anti-aging product. Everything I use is fragrance free. My new favorite is Olay Whip, fragrance free. My foundation is from Estee Lauder ...oil free Double Wear Light. The regular Double Wear is too mask like and I prefer a lighter application when I do use foundation.

Hope that helps and hang in there. Sometimes just the change of weather or seasons can bring on a bout of redness and breaking out...

Respected Contributor

I had a flare up on my chin starting almost a year ago.  No known cause, other than stress possibly. Anyway long story short, I tried a lot of things and found the only thing that helped was a facial oil with hemp seed oil in it.  Also a night cream, same thing.  They were Peter Thomas Roth Green Releaf products (there are only two, an oil and a night cream).  It took a few weeks but it's just about gone and I don't have to continue using them, I'm back to my normal routine.  I did find that my clarisonic can aggravate it so I only use it once or twice a week.  Those are my small two cents and I wish you luck.  I did not expect to have such great success with these products but my skin is back to looking great again.  Hemp seed oil is very anti-inflammatory and one could probably find equal success with a cheaper purer version sold on Amazon too.  I use that version on my body where I have stress inflammation, works like a dream.  

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I get mine laser treated about every couple of years or whenever my redness and dots get too noticeable and difficult to cover with concealers. The laser really helps knock down a lot of my redness and some benefits come with it, too.Woman Wink

Me too...the only thing that worked for me. Worth every penny. I had pulse dye laser which destroys and bruises out the dilated caps...had to go into hiding for a couple of weeks while it faded. I have had it done twice..never had any luck with topicals. I don't use anything now.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Have you ever tried Buzz on Acne - I know the name sounds like it's only for acne but it worked wonders on my rosacea and enlarged oil glands

Honored Contributor

@wonderfulworld wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Me too...the only thing that worked for me. Worth every penny. I had pulse dye laser which destroys and bruises out the dilated caps...had to go into hiding for a couple of weeks while it faded. I have had it done twice..never had any luck with topicals. I don't use anything now.

@wonderfulworld 

I get a little bruising sometimes. What helps is arnica oil. Put it on a bruise and that oil with help make it go away a lot faster. Many places sell it.