Honored Contributor

Re: Rosacea - Blemishes are awful - Know this has been addressed before -- what products do you use?

I edited my post, @angelpuppy... Hope it makes more sense now!
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Re: Rosacea - Blemishes are awful - Know this has been addressed before -- what products do you use?

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I see quite a few have tried or are using Soolantra.  I have been reading about this and at first was very excited to read.  Then I started reading information and review and got quite concerned.  Many people reported about a rebound redness affect.  People said that they after use, got even more red and the redness would not stop.  I do not know how much this is true.

The Metrogel I am using is helping with the redness of my skin a lot and I don't have a lot of redness curently since using is ever since December. 

Right now, though, these darn clusters of white heads and now, these large pustules which I am occasionally getting, are what are really causing me upset.  

I started using a few days ago Cetaphil soap.  it seems very mild.  I was at first using a face cloth but have read that you should only use your fingers and no type of abrasion at all.

I have read so much conflicting information on-line that I do not know what is accurate.  Of course, I know that what works for one, does not necessarily work for someone else.  But people on-line who supposedly know what they are talking about are giving this conflicting information.  I read -- use BHA --- don't use it.  Use benzoil peroxide --- no, don't.  Use sailclic acid -- no, don't.  Retoinds are good -- not, they are terrible.  On and on and on!!!  Man Sad 

I appreciate everyone sharing information and how Rosacea has affected you and what you are doing.  No one knows what this stuff does to you and how bad it makes you feel.  It makes you feel also that you are dirty and messy.  My esteem is at an all time low.

I thank everyone so much for taking the time to post!!!  Woman Happy

Angelpuppy- I haven't had any problems with rebound redness (at least so far, knock on wood) from the Soolantra.

Find a bar of Basis soap (I think the larger Bed Bath and Beyond's carry it) and try that.  THAT'S the product that has helped the most from the flaky white hard things.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@angelpuppy... Right now I have a breakout starting in a new spot. (Next to my nose). So I applied 2% benzoyl spot gel from CVS hoping to get it under control in a hurry. Just an FYI💜
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

angel, I spoke to the friend I mentioned in my last post. She asked me to tell you that she learned from the derm that certain products she was using on her hair and body were triggering her rosacea flares on her face! Who knew? Specifically, she said she was using products with alcohol, menthol, lavender, peppermint, and fragrances (all on the no-no list for rosacea that the derm gave to her) -- including body lotions and shampoo/cleansing conditioners (the one so many are obsessed with on this board) .. and all were actually triggering her rosacea. Certain chemicals in skincare AND haircare products are also triggers. Once she stopped using those products, everything got so much better, she said. She also switched her skincare to only fragrance-free, and only what the derm recommended. Finally, she asked me to tell you that the National Rosacea Society site is filled with great info. HTH!

Valued Contributor

Hi Angel-

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. Rosacea can be so frustrating. I, too, sometimes feel that I am not getting the right answers out of my derm. 

For me, I would categorize my Rosacea as mild-moderate. However, I DO get the dreaded small pimple-type things (usually with a white head on top) around my nose and chin occasionally. I was prescribed Aczone (an acne med) for this when it flares up. But I'm not quite sure it really helps.

Also, at my last visit I was prescribed Oracea. Low-dose, oral antibiotic. I still have the script, but have yet to fill it b/c I was on the fence about trying an oral antibiotic.

Another script was written for a newer drug called Soolantra. This is yet another topical cream. I am waiting to fill this one, too, until I read more reviews or know others who have had success with this.

Honestly, what helps me is--Washing my face thoroughly every single night without fail. Very occasionally I fall asleep with my MU on and without fail I am redder than ever in the morning. I also use a good physical sunscreen, every day, rain or shine. 

My derm is also a big believer that dietary choices are very connected to Rosacea. Dairy and sugar are two things that can lead to a flare for many of her patients (me, too). Also, do what you can to cut down on any inflammation you have--by eating anti-inflammatory foods, taking care of your oral health, etc.

I'm not saying that I am religious about following all these things, but when I do, my skin looks better and there is less Rosacea.

Good luck finding what works for you! Metrogel did not work for me for whatever reason.

Honored Contributor

Keep away from pillow cases/sheets that have been laundered with scented detergents.  I'd use only unscented products, including moisturizers, soaps, makeup, whatever else.  I've found that Dove Unscented Bar Soap is good, or Ivory Bar Soap. The Dove is a bit more moisturizing.  Anything that is an irritant (fragrances, strong detergents/dryer sheets) would be very irritating to problem skin.  Lots of good luck to you.  Smiley Happy

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Frequent Contributor

Hello,

I have roscea and use Paula's products for roscea and take tetracycline (oral antibiotic) daily.  It has really helped.  My skin is far too senstive for the topical gels or clarisal.  Good luck

Honored Contributor

lovestoteach:

Oh, my goodness!  This is a lot to deal with!!!  I am so sorry that you are having to go through all this.  

It sounds like, at least you are finally getting some answers.  We do not have good medical care around here.  I hate to say it, but it's true.  

I am going to make an appointment with this other derm. who is about an hour away and see if I can get more help.

I appreciate you replying to me and being so open.  I hope you get these issues resolved.  

My best!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]
AngelPuppy, I hope the new derm can find something to help you. I totally understand how you are feeling. I was diagnosed with rosacea about 15 years ago and this year my rosacea and ocular rosacea are flaring worse than ever. In February my skin started breaking out like crazy.

Like you, I find that metrogel calms my skin and helps with redness, but does nothing for the breakouts. I'm now on month 2 of oral doxycycline and my skin is finally clear. I'm also still using the metrogel and only a gentle cleanser and moisturizer.

The reason your research is turning up contradictory information about treatments is because with rosacea we are all so different and what works beautifully for one person can be a disaster for someone else. Unfortunately, the only way to find out what works for you is through trial and error.

One comment - I know a lot of dermatologists recommend Cetaphil, but it contains sodium lauryl sulfate, which can cause irritation for some people as it's the most irritating of the sulfates. I know that it causes me to break out more. Instead I use LaRoche Posay Toleriane Dermo Cleanser. It's a milky cleanser like Cetaphil, but a bit thinner and easier to rinse off. It has fewer ingredients and no sulfates. Another less expensive alternative that I also like is Neutrogena Ultra Gentle HYDRATING Cleanser (not the ultra gentle daily cleanser). Like the Toleriane, it doesn't contain sulfates, and is a texture between Cetaphil and Toleriane.

Edited to add: I just retread one of your posts. Are you using Cetaphil bar soap on your face? It contains sodium tallowate, which can clog pores and cause breakouts. It also contains a masking fragrance, which could irritate skin.

Cetaphil ingredients: water, cetyl alcohol, propylene glycol, sodium lauryl sulfate, stearyl alcohol, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben.

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleansing Bar ingredients: Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Stearic Acid, Sodium Tallowate, Water, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Dodecylbenzene Sulfonate, Sodium Cocoate, PEG-20, Sodium Chloride, Masking Fragrance, Sodium Isethionate, Petrolatum, Sodium Isostearoyl Lactylate, Sucrose Cocoate, Titanium Dioxide, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate. May Also Contain Sodium Palm Kernelate

LaRoche Posay Dermo Cleanser ingredients: Water, Ethyhexyl Palmitate, Glycerin, Dipropylene Glycol, Carbomer, Sodium Hydroxide, Capryl Glycol, Ethylhexl Glycerin

Neutrogena Ultra Gentle Hydrating Cleanser ingredients:
Water, glycerin, cetearyl alcohol, polyglyceryl-10 laurate, ethylhexylglycerin, cetearyl glucoside, caprylyl glycol, carbomer, sodium hydroxide, phenoxyethanol
Respected Contributor

I have a rash that is dry and red on my leg for over 6 months now and i can not get rif of it.  I started to use lysine suppliments and useing gold bonf ezema lotion and it cleared up about 50%