Esteemed Contributor

Re: Rosacea - Blemishes are awful - Know this has been addressed before -- what products do you use?

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

Don't know, don't know, don't know!  My head is spinning.  Between this and my tendonitis issues - I am about done it!  I am waving the white flag -- surrender -- I've had enough!!!  Woman Frustrated

No. 1 - I really don't know what to use to remove my makeup.  When I ask my derm, I get no help.  He just says use your soap.  Well, I know that I need a makeup remover first before using a soap or cleanser.  

No. 2- I don't know what cleanser or soap to use.  I have decided to stop using the Cetaphil for now.  I have read several times here about the gentleness of Basis soap.  I think I may try that.  

No.3 - As for the Metrogel -- it has been extremely helpful in controlling the redness although now I am thinking it is part of the reason for my skin starting to dry out and flake.  So, I am going to call the derm and ask if I can try the Metro cream.

No. 4 -- Moisturizer -- I have used for eons and eons Eucerin Sensitive Skin Moisurizer and never had any issues.  I don't want to switch to something else now.

I think probably I shouldn't make a ton of changes at once.  How will I know what is causing problems?

Other than that, I am up in the air.

I do not want to experiment with a bunch of other things for fear of making things worse.

We do not have any decent derms around my area who seem to have much knowledge or care to help you with Rosacea.  It's very frustrating, to say the least.  

Thanks, everyone.  

I forgot a very important item!!!! Mineral makeup!!!!!!!! I use Everyday minerals because its free of bismuth oxychloride!!!!!! I order it online!!!! Its antiinflammatory and it keeps my skin clear. Been using it for years, will never be without it! I try and make sure everything I use on my face is free of chemicals..I hope this helps you snowpuppy! Are you premenopausal?? I know this is when this started for me..HTH!Heart

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

Re: Rosacea - Blemishes are awful - Know this has been addressed before -- what products do you use?

[ Edited ]

@RedRedHair  You are so lucky to have such a knowledgeable and caring derm!  Thank you for sharing the information you receive.

My derms have always been very vague about make-up products.

The derm I most trust was telling me that if I needed powder, to use the "loose" kind.  I believe he was telling me to overall use only products that did not have "binders" and now I know what he meant!

Almay, Clinique and Physicians Choice were the only three he said that were allowable.  I found faerie organics which I trust ALL of their products to be free of the things they claim.  Now I know how lucky I was to find this co.  I use the foundation minerals patted on top of the breakouts and it seems to heal them.  HTH

My derm specifically said not to use the foundation-to-powder types of makeups.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

Don't know, don't know, don't know!  My head is spinning.  Between this and my tendonitis issues - I am about done it!  I am waving the white flag -- surrender -- I've had enough!!!  Woman Frustrated

No. 1 - Well, I know that I need a makeup remover first before using a soap or cleanser.

I think if it is something you wash off right away and tolerate, it might not be bothering you? 

No. 2- I don't know what cleanser or soap to use.  I have decided to stop using the Cetaphil for now.  I have read several times here about the gentleness of Basis soap.  I think I may try that.

My conservative derm said for me to use basis soap 

No.3 - So, I am going to call the derm and ask if I can try the Metro cream. 

Good idea

No. 4 -- Moisturizer -- I have used for eons and eons Eucerin Sensitive Skin Moisurizer and never had any issues.  I don't want to switch to something else now.

You should stay with it.

I think probably I shouldn't make a ton of changes at once.  How will I know what is causing problems? 

Yes

I do not want to experiment with a bunch of other things for fear of making things worse.

Yes

I agree that you should start an elimanation and replacement process slowly.  And I think it is an independent experiment in the works as to what YOUR skin can tolerate.

Regular Contributor

@AngelPuppy1

Health issues can be immensely annoying, and I understand your frustration. 

I'm not a professional by any means, but I suggest that you start by weekly eliminating one product at a time.  By doing so, it will be easier to determine what product may be a potential irritant.  This is just the reverse rule of adding one product at a time, which is usually advocated by most doctors.

I use CeraVe cleanser, which was suggested by my derm. 

Also, you mentioned loose powder.  I use Jane Iredale's loose mineral foundation powder as well as several other Iredale products.  I do use her pressed mineral foundation occasionally; however, there are no irritating (for me) binders in it.  The loose is not quite as matte as the pressed. My derm prefers that I use mineral makeup as it contains the least amount of ingredients.  She, too, uses the Iredale products. 

Thank goodness we're her for one another.

Esteemed Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@RedRedHair  You are so lucky to have such a knowledgeable and caring derm!  Thank you for sharing the information you receive.

My derms have always been very vague about make-up products.

The derm I most trust was telling me that if I needed powder, to use the "loose" kind.  I believe he was telling me to overall use only products that did not have "binders" and now I know what he meant!

Almay, Clinique and Physicians Choice were the only three he said that were allowable.  I found faerie organics which I trust ALL of their products to be free of the things they claim.  Now I know how lucky I was to find this co.  I use the foundation minerals patted on top of the breakouts and it seems to heal them.  HTH

My derm specifically said not to use the foundation-to-powder types of makeups.

I too have been able to use Almay and Clinique! Hypoallergenic all the way..and I totally agree with loose minerals/powder! I had to learn all this the hard way..lol. My derms weren't much help, But, I will say in their defense, I think its an individual issue. W'ere all different, so its kind of a trial and error thing! Best of luck to anyone with these issues..!

-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

As usual - I hope I am not missing anyone with my replies and thank yous!

I hope everyone will feel free to respond to any and all comments and questions.

Lovestoteach:

First off, thank you so much, for your usual kind lovely reply.  It is so appreciated!  

I have a couple more questions and this is to all the ladies.  You have mentioned the use of mineral powders and looses powders.  Do you only use this and no liquid makeup and/or concealer???  I have not found that using powder gives me enough coverage but maybe it's because I have not been using the right kind.  But now that I have the red spots, the broken caps, the blemishes, I find that I need the coverage even more than I did before.

If you do use a liquid foundation and/or concealer, in addition to the loose powder, what kind/brand of liquid foundation/concealer are you using?

RedRedHair:

Thank you for your information and kind reply, too!

You mentioned Cerave cleanser.  Does this take your facial makeup off without the need for a makeup remover before the cleanser?  I tried this cleanser and although it was very mild, it did not remove all my facial foundation, concealer, etc., unless I used a makeup remover towlette or something before.

You also said you use Jane Iredale products.  Have you used any liquid makeup or concealers or just loose mineral powder?

EmmysMom:

I thank you for your input and help, also!  You mentioned Faerie organic products and Every Day Minerals.  Do you use a combination of both of these products, and if so, would you mind listing what your particular products are?

I went through menopause years and years ago.  I think I actually started noticing signs of Rosasea a long time ago -- the redness, the sensitivity issues, etc., but never knew what it was & the derms never diagnosed me until recently.

Thank you so much, everyone!!!  I just feel like I couldn't go through this without all of you!!  Your support, information and kind words mean the world to me!!!  Woman Wink

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

As usual - I hope I am not missing anyone with my replies and thank yous!

I hope everyone will feel free to respond to any and all comments and questions.

Lovestoteach:

First off, thank you so much, for your usual kind lovely reply.  It is so appreciated!  

I have a couple more questions and this is to all the ladies.  You have mentioned the use of mineral powders and looses powders.  Do you only use this and no liquid makeup and/or concealer???  I have not found that using powder gives me enough coverage but maybe it's because I have not been using the right kind.  But now that I have the red spots, the broken caps, the blemishes, I find that I need the coverage even more than I did before.

If you do use a liquid foundation and/or concealer, in addition to the loose powder, what kind/brand of liquid foundation/concealer are you using?

RedRedHair:

Thank you for your information and kind reply, too!

You mentioned Cerave cleanser.  Does this take your facial makeup off without the need for a makeup remover before the cleanser?  I tried this cleanser and although it was very mild, it did not remove all my facial foundation, concealer, etc., unless I used a makeup remover towlette or something before.

You also said you use Jane Iredale products.  Have you used any liquid makeup or concealers or just loose mineral powder?

EmmysMom:

I thank you for your input and help, also!  You mentioned Faerie organic products and Every Day Minerals.  Do you use a combination of both of these products, and if so, would you mind listing what your particular products are?

I went through menopause years and years ago.  I think I actually started noticing signs of Rosasea a long time ago -- the redness, the sensitivity issues, etc., but never knew what it was & the derms never diagnosed me until recently.

Thank you so much, everyone!!!  I just feel like I couldn't go through this without all of you!!  Your support, information and kind words mean the world to me!!!  Woman Wink

Hi Angelpuppy!

I don't use faerie..I use Aubrey organics or Andalou 1000 roses organic..its for sensitive skin  and smells divine. We girls have to help each other..I'm post meno..lol. Things calmed down after that..hormones, Ugh!!Woman Happy

-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

@RedRedHair

@emmysmom

@AngelPuppy1

@quadmimi

@LasVegas Dot

My routine is still fluctuating, based on finding out a very real possibility of a PEG-type allergy. (it makes sense for me).

If I were to skip using liquid foundation, I would go back to Faerie Minerals concealing, along with Faerie Organic matte (which although I did not like the matte all over, I did like it for coverage and it probably would make a great concealor.)

I use Dermablend (which lasts forever) under the eyes and around above them. I looked it up on Safe Cosmetics Database and it is rated a 0 or 1 for toxicity, however, it contains a petroleum product.  My experience tells me that it works around the eye because I do not have rosacea there.

For about three days I have worn little makeup, but I am still breaking out.  Its probably environmental.  So, the idea would be to create a barrier between my skin and the environment. (This has always been true, even as a teen).

Angelpuppy, I think this issue is tricky and I don't think I will ever be free of breakouts.  This is mainly due to picking up staph at school.  I usually carried a "wipe" everywhere successfully, but occasionally I would be without one.  The desk surfaces and the computer keyboard were definite culprits.

More when I think of it!  THX for sharing!

Honored Contributor

Found a new, informative site, 

https://thrivemarket.com/

All ingredients are listed for all products.

I ordered vitamins.

Honored Contributor

@LTT1

Thanks for this new site.  I have bookmarked and will check it out when I get a second.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin