Esteemed Contributor

If I do roots, how soon afterward can I do highlights?

TIA!

Esteemed Contributor

You should ask your hairdresser that question. It all depends on the color of your hair and the amount of processing that you are doing. I highlight my hair every six weeks. I can see growth of roots in a week but the way my hairdresser highlights the hair it does not look bad. I can't stand if I miss my appointment because my hair is dark brown (almost black) and I highlight it back to the blonde that it used to be when I was younger.

My friend has honey brunette hair and dyes her hair then highlights it. She does roots about every two months and highlights in between those appointments. This is what works for her.

I have also found that different hairdressers will have different recommendations on their timing preference. You also need to consider what is your personal preference.

Super Contributor
I get base color every four weeks because of my greys- I also have really dark hair and pale skin so I get a few highlights to lighten me up. My girl rotates and one month does only root touch up for grey and the next month she does both the roots and highlights. This is less damaging on the hair. But to answer your question I don't think you have to wait in between. But my base color is my natural color so if you are changing your base it may be different.
Honored Contributor

I have all over color plus highlights. I don't get my hair highlighted every time I get it colored. One time she does the roots only and the next time she will do roots plus highlights.