Super Contributor

Re: Root Lifter for short hair - help!

Re: Nioxin products. The shampoo, conditioner & scalp therapy were recommended to me by my hairdresser to try to undo an issue I had with loosing hair. I've been using those 3 Nioxin products for over a month now and I'm just now seeing some new hair growth! It seems to be doing what my hairdresser and the salon owner said it would.
Super Contributor

On 7/18/2014 wagnerdancer said:

Tototwo - I could have written your post but with a different root lifter. I used to use Garnier's root lifter but I cannot find that anywhere. I have been looking for it for months at every store but no one has it. Like you I scan the hair products aisle only to find stuff that will smooth and straighten or add curls - there seem to be hundreds of those. I've never heard of Regis either but intend to try and find it. If I do, I'll let you know where. Good luck!

It's online at Amazon.

I guess your "anywhere" does not include the Internet? Smiley Wink

Which certainly beats schlepping all over!

Super Contributor

On 7/18/2014 CalmInTheHeart said:

I have baby fine, thin hair and wear it short and a bit spikey. After 60 years of struggling with it, I finally found my miracle -- Nioxin Hair Thickening Spray. You would never know how thin and fine my hair is anymore. People think I have a thick head of hair.

I avoid the newest shampoos....they are great for longer, thicker hair but something about them makes my hair too soft. I currently use Paul Mitchell #3 Clarifying twice a week and Paul Mitchell volumizing the rest of the week.

After I shampoo, I spray my roots with Nioxin thickening spray. It took me a few days to figure out how much to use but I'm pretty liberal with the spraying! I then add a hint of gel to the crown of my head due to a cowlick. Then I blow dry. I never use a brush. I blow dry using my fingers, with my fingers under the hair at the roots (which can be tough when it's only 2" long in places). When I smooth it out a little afterwards, I use the brush only on the surface so I don't overly soften the roots.

It takes me 5 minutes to wash, style and dry my hair.

Since you're a sister John Paul DeJoria (awesome guy & co-founder of Paul Mitchell) fan and baby-fine hair babe, I've got a multi-raved product suggestion for you, and everyone here who can relate:

'Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Lemon Sage Thickening Conditioner'. Fantastic, and also healthy for your scalp.

Found the best price on Ebay, but Amazon is good too. Google for other vendors.

Thanks for your detailed info and the Nioxin Thckening Hair Spray recc; great reviews on Amazon as well.

Super Contributor

On 7/18/2014 tototwo said:

I've used and raved about Suave's Root Boost for years. I don't know if it's been discontinued or what, but it's getting harder and harder to find. I was at 3 drugstores this morning - nada. I'm getting desperate!

So I've started looking for a substitute, and I'd like your recommendations. I stood in the hair care aisles this morning and studied bottles for a similar product, and couldn't find anything but glossers and oils and de-frizzers -- none of which I need. I want an oil-free product - not a mousse or cream - that I can spritz on wet hair at the roots and then pouf with my fingers to style. Only a drugstore brand, please.

Could anyone help me? Thank you.

It's currently still available at Ebay, Amazon, & Walmart.com.

Or maybe you don't buy anything online?

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for all the responses regarding online products, but I just want to go to my nearest local store.

NC Bandwagon - I used Nick's Amazon Mist for years until it got too expensive for my liking. That's when I switched to the Suave because it was an almost perfect dupe (and only $2.99!).

I'm going to look again for the L'Oreal and Garnier products. Surely somebody in this city carries them! I checked out the Catwalk products on Walgreens.com and didn't see a product I wanted. Besides, I actually have to hold a product in my hand and read the label.

Thanks for all your advice!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Can someone tell me the ingredient list for Nioxin root thickening spray, please? I break out if it contains wheat protein. TIA

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Super Contributor

On 7/19/2014 lovestoteach said:

Can someone tell me the ingredient list for Nioxin root thickening spray, please? I break out if it contains wheat protein. TIA

Nioxin Thickening Spray with Pro-Thick 5.1 fl oz (150 ml)

Water, PVP, Chitosan, Polyethylene, Polysorbate 20, PEG 40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance, Polysorbate 80, PEG 60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Methylparaben, Formic Acid, Disodium EDTA, Panthenol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Menthol, Mentha Arvensis Leaf Oil

Respected Contributor

Suave Root Booster sold only at Walmart works beautifully on my thick hair.

Super Contributor

On 7/18/2014 NC Bandwagon said:
On 7/18/2014 tototwo said:

I've used and raved about Suave's Root Boost for years. I don't know if it's been discontinued or what, but it's getting harder and harder to find. I was at 3 drugstores this morning - nada. I'm getting desperate!

So I've started looking for a substitute, and I'd like your recommendations. I stood in the hair care aisles this morning and studied bottles for a similar product, and couldn't find anything but glossers and oils and de-frizzers -- none of which I need. I want an oil-free product - not a mousse or cream - that I can spritz on wet hair at the roots and then pouf with my fingers to style. Only a drugstore brand, please.

Could anyone help me? Thank you.

Nick Chavez has a product called Traditions Horsetail Root Lifting Spray. And yes, it's something that you can spritz on your hair. You can order it at QVC or at Nick Chavez' website.

That stuff is AWFUL!!! Stong smell of alcohol that does not dissapate. Did nothing for me.
Respected Contributor

On 7/18/2014 sfnative said:

My medium fine hair is a pain. When I changed hair stylists ten years ago, he used this product on my hair and I was sold.

catwalk - Root Boost - tall blue can

About 4 years ago, my Walgreens started carrying several Catwalk products, so was happy that I can pay less for this very superior product.

sfnative, I found the Catwalk product on the Bay and would like to try it. It is shown in two different can designs. I'm wondering which is the newest so I get fresh product. Hope you can help. TIA for any advice.

“Do not think only of your own joy, but vow to save all beings from suffering.”
Dalai Lama