Super Contributor

Roosters are killed for hyaluronic acid

This breaks my heart. Smiley Sad I hope these cruel companies close down. it is so wrong and so cruel. These people will see their Karma in bad luck. 

Hyaluronic acid is not a botanic product which implies a plant source. Roosters are killedto 'harvest' the comb on top of their head in order to extract the Hyaluronic Acid so this product is not 'Vegan' or remotely cruelty free as advertised by another maker by any means.

Honored Contributor

Re: Roosters are killed for hyaluronic acid

@darkhomespun  Please name the companies.

Valued Contributor

This is so sad. I had no idea...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

HA has two sources, plants and animals.  Choose your products carefully by checking the labels. Look for cruelty free or vegan.

Esteemed Contributor

Having lived next door to roosters, I am not sympathetic.

Cogito ergo sum
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

One is Westmore that is sold on QVC, was going to buy until is saw that they use hyaluronic acid. The rep last night made me sick going on an on about it.
There are many many more. L'Oréal and those listed here 

you also need to search the company to find out. very sad what these companies do for money.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia Understood. My DD just got rid of her rooster because it would attack her when she collected eggs or cleaned the coops. It also attacked my 2 year old granddaughter. That being said, I don't agree with just harvesting a rooster for the comb. If you can use the entire bird and dispatch it humanely, that is a different story.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it contains a link to another retail site

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don't ever have cataract surgery then. Healon, the viscoelastic gel that's used to plump up the eye to make it easier for the surgeon to implant the lense is made with ingredients from rooster combs. It's also great for wrinkles. When I worked in pharma, we were able to get our hands on "samples" from time to time. They were highly coveted. 

The roosters are sold as food and the combs are removed during processing. They're not killed just to get the combs. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

In my city you may have chickens but there is a local regulation against  roosters.