Regular Contributor

Re: Roasacea - can you use serums, oils, etc.?

For immediate relef, I took a pea size amount of coconut oil and rubbed it between my hands before patting my hands on my cheeks. For me it calmed the irritation right away.
Honored Contributor

On 3/7/2015 AngelPuppy1 said:

I appreciate your very kind responses. I have been trying to find different information on this condition. But its all pretty much the same. I think it's a shame that the derms. don't provide you much info or much to go on either. Not everyone is the same even if you have the same condition. A more personalized approach would be helpful. But, as usual, you're pretty much on your own. It's like --- you have this, so take this pill or use this cream --- 'bye-bye! I also think - wonder how they would feel it if were them - or their wife -- or daughter. But, unfortunately, once they get their $$$, that couldn't care less.

Yes, I am kind of depressed about all of this. I just have to add it to my list of health issues. But having to present a pimple laden complexion to yourself in the mirror and to the world at age 62 every day is just not too much fun.

I thank you all so much for your information and your compassion.

AngelPuppy, unfortunately rosacea can be a very tricky disorder to manage. A derm can guide you and provide prescription meds if need be, but I do think much of it boils down to learning how YOUR skin reacts to different products, temperatures, foods, etc.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

My mother has rosacea and I think one of the most important things with rosacea is to avoid fragrances and natural type of essential oils like peppermint, lavender, clove, menthol, eucalyptus, all citrus oils, rosemary, just pretty much anything with fragrance of any kind is a safe bet. Normal skin doesn't need it either but sensitive skin definitely does not need it.

My mother is very happy with Paula's Choice products. She has been using the PC rosacea line for quite and while and she is very happy with that.

Also, everyone can be quite different in what works for them. I think lines like Cetaphil, Eucerin and CeraVe are great lines too. The derms I work for probably recommend those 4 lines most often for patients with rosacea.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

I also wanted to add that when my mother started adding a good probiotic daily her rosacea has eased up quite a bit. My daughter has eczema and has been using probiotics for several years and it has really done wonders for her eczema. Probiotics are good for overall gut health and since 70% of your bodies immune system is located there, probiotics help with lots of other things not associated with your intestinal tract. It fills your digestive tract with good flora (bacteria) which is good for overall health. I know probiotics have also been successful on many of my clients who have chronic acne. I do think diet is also important and staying away from foods that inflame is a good idea. Sugar is a huge culprit of that.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I have had it for years. I stopped having issues (OK rare flare up every now and then) once I started using Dr. Denese firming facial pads and using Hydorshield.

I have lilly white skin so even a little flare up looks terrible. My Drs used to think I had Lupus because at first sight that is one of the signs of Lupus (mask they call it).

I was tested over and over and no Lupus (thank GOD). I don't know if this would work for you. I know with it you must be careful not to irritate your skin. I worried about that all of the time.

You might try it. Dr. Denese isn't cheap. It does last a long time. My 34 year old daughter started having skin problems when she moved to Denver (the sun 300 days of it) is a killer. Her Dermatologist told her to do something. She tried my Dr. Denese while I was there visiting her helping her with health issues. After a few days of trying mine, she asked if I could send her some.

Well, move forward to almost 1 year and I'm sending her Dr. Denese (it's too expensive for her). She usually hates anyhing I like (mother/daughters), but she loves this stuff (not just because it's free).

I just sent her some more and she said "I haven't thanked you enough for sending me this. My Dermatologist told me she thought it was amazing at the turn around my face had done. She wanted my beauty routing.

I buy it in a kit that is offered. It includes the sunscreen. She skiis every weekend, fishes and hikes in the Spring and Summer so she's always outside. She swears by that sunscreen. I sweat like crazy so I swear by it.

I don't know if it works for everyone, I just know it works for both of us.

Regular Contributor

I have had rosacea for 10 years now and for me, simple is best.I use Albolene at night to remove makeup. Then I put on Clindimycin (antibiotic ) lotion. Then I put Mario Badescu Kera lotion on. I just rinse my face with warm water in the morning then put on my Kera lotion. I like the Elta MD spf 41 tinted sunblock. The only foundation I can use is the Physicians Formula pressed mineral powder. I also have been on Clindimycin oral antibiotic for almost 2 years. This has been the best routine I have used for the past few years. I'm good if I don't stray from this too much Good luck
Frequent Contributor

I feel your pain. I have super as and rosacea. Still looking for my go- to products. I will say that the IT- bye bye redness is wonderful!! Cannot wear any foundation without my face burning after 15 minutes. This stuff cover 'll the redness and NO burning. I have also used Aloe Vera and that helps with the burning. Looking to get the real plant as soon as I can find it. Winter- bad as all the heat in places makes it red. Then summer and if you get hot being outside red again. We can't win but hopefully a few rec here help. Shopping girl
Valued Contributor

I was just diagnosed with this too, it is very frustrating, overnoght my skin changed , but I am not so sure what I have is really rosacia. I was given a prescription cream and I am trying different things. I am thinking all my scalding hot baths didnt help me much, lol.

Honored Contributor

Thank you, everyone!

It is really helpful to know that I am not suffering alone. However, I do have sympathy for you all and wish that you didn't have it either.

People think - oh, what's the big deal! Well, they should try having it! It really does a number on your confidence and I, for one, never had much to begin with. People look at you sometimes like you have some horrible contagious dirty disease that they will catch. Or they give you looks like --- yuck --- how nasty. It is very hurtful. Especially, when you've always tried to take good care of your skin and never really had any serious problems.

I am most appreciative of everyone's support and the information that you have shared. Does anyone know -- is there a site that a person can go to on line where people can discuss this and share information, etc?

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Valued Contributor

Hi Angel-

I've had Rosacea for a long time now (probably first officially dx by my derm about 6 years ago). It IS exasperating. And as a true Beauty Junkie it is hard to sometimes heed my Derm's advice to stick to what I KNOW works best. However, that's a problem, too, b/c I don't always feel that my Derm's recommendations work for me. Most, but not all.

As I was recently at the Derm, I'll tell you what our last conversation was like. When I asked her about Argan oil--which I use--she said something about how it would just "sit" on the skin and not give me the full hydration my skin needs. Kinda blew it off, so I knew it wasn't one of her favorite topics. I had loads of questions on this day, so forgive me if I don't have what she said verbatim. I love the way Argan feels on my skin, and I do use it. Thought I was doing my skin a favor, but apparently I'm not.

This is what my derm recommends that I DO think works to help lessen my Rosacea symptoms:

1) Physical sunscreen every single day. No exceptions. I am currently using one that my Derm makes, but I also like SkinCeuticals Sheer Fusion.

2) Washing/Cleansing with a mild cleanser every night, like CeraVe.

3) Paying attention to foods and other things that cause inflammation in the body, including sun exposure and certain foods, especially, for me, some dairy and excess sugar.

4) A mild retinol product, 2-3x/week. She likes the Avene products.

5) Something new to me that I'm trying out: A vitamin K cream. Used 1-2x/day. The brand I have is called K-Derm. Like I said, I'm new to this, so I will try to report back when/if I see any improvement.

Here's what I don't think has been a magic bullet-yet:

1) Aczone cream. For those that have Rosacea, you may be familiar with this. It's a script. And you can apply 1-2/x day. Similar, I would imagine, to metro gel, or other topical Rosacea treatment. I've used this in the past and I just really don't think it makes a big difference.

2) Oracea script (have yet to fill this script, but we shall see).

And here's what I haven't converted to, but I'm interested in trying:

1) Eliminating all my MU that has talc. My derm likes the Jane Iredale line.

I'm also, on my own, trying a calendula cream by Jurlique. I've read and heard so many good things about this cream, on line and elsewhere, that I'm giving it a whirl.

Whew! Probably too much information, but there ya have it.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} It is a frustrating condition. Especially if you've always taken good care of your skin and really love beauty stuff! Some days my skin looks great and then my Rudolph nose peeks out and I want to scream.

Good luck to all those with Rosacea! Thank you for all you suggestions and commiseration here!

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}