Esteemed Contributor

RoC animal testing statement

"We strongly believe that products should not be tested on animals. We don't conduct animal testing of our products or ingredients or ask others to test on our behalf. Certain governmental regulatory authorities require it for safety or regulatory purposes - however these agencies conduct all testing independently. RoC does not mandate any animal testing anywhere in the world."

is this an indirect and evasive way of saying that some of their ingredients may have been tested on animals?

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Respected Contributor

Re: RoC animal testing statement

IMO, this statement is somewhat confusing and until it's certified cruelty free, I'd steer clear, but that's me.

The parent company is Johnson and Johnson which does testing.

Esteemed Contributor

Whole lot of weasel words.  

ROC does not "mandate" but "certain" other entities do. Nor do they "ask".

Ever raise a teenager????  Doesn't fly with me!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

...I won't be purchasing anything from RoC.  Doesn't fly with me either @Still Raining  🙁 

Honored Contributor

There are instances where certain ingredients were tested on animals in the past. So when a manufacturer uses one of those ingredients today to make their product(s) then they can claim to be cruelty free b/c of current testing protocol updates. Also some ingredients, many from overseas, are still being tested on animals and unfortunately those ingredients cannot be found within our borders so US manufacturers really have no options but to use those ingredients or lose customers if they change formulations.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee 

Sorry, I usually agree with you, but I call BS on that 'disclaimer' by RoC.

Just look up Johnson & Johnson on any of the cruelty free sites.

That's a pathetic way of trying to avoid the TRUTH about their involvement with animal testing. 

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

From the FDA. This is exactly what I was trying to say in my previous post. If you think your cosmetic product is CF...think again.

"Cruelty Free"/"Not Tested on Animals"

"Consumers sometimes ask about use of claims such as "Cruelty-Free" or "Not Tested on Animals" on cosmetic labeling.

Some cosmetic companies promote their products with claims of this kind in their labeling or advertising. The unrestricted use of these phrases by cosmetic companies is possible because there are no legal definitions for these terms.

Some companies may apply such claims solely to their finished cosmetic products. However, these companies may rely on raw material suppliers or contract laboratories to perform any animal testing necessary to substantiate product or ingredient safety. Other cosmetic companies may rely on combinations of scientific literature, non-animal testing, raw material safety testing, or controlled human-use testing to substantiate their product safety.

Many raw materials, used in cosmetics, were tested on animals years ago when they were first introduced. A cosmetic manufacturer might only use those raw materials and base their "cruelty-free" claims on the fact that the materials or products are not "currently" tested on animals."

https://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/cosmetics-labeling-claims/cruelty-freenot-tested-animals

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee 

Still BS.....

Is Johnson & Johnson Cruelty-Free? | 2022 Cruelty-Free Kitty Update (crueltyfreekitty.com)

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom 

Marketing tactics.icon_rolleyes.gif

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@KingstonsMom 

Marketing tactics.icon_rolleyes.gif

Exactly GF! Sales 101.......