Honored Contributor

Re: Revlon plunges after report of potential bankruptcy filing next week

[ Edited ]

@Chi-town girl @They are leaving out the fact that their quality has gone down. I still have a five nail polish set in beautiful colors. This was the one of last things I bought from them, about six years ago. The polishes were the worst quality of any polish I've used. They have nice colors, but they missed the chance to up their products quality to compete with other drug store brands that have really improved their quality. They should have focused on their drug store products since big box stores were declining in sales. If they wanted to appeal to younger buyers they should have sold direct to consumer kits like Kylie did or put products under a new name and logo into Sephora, Ulta and other makeup and online retailers. They needed to niche their products and marketing to the niches using YouTube and social media with plenty of influencers. They could have kept some core lipstick colors and upped their formulation and added in some great skin care lines...maybe to compete with the Olay drug store market. 

They still have a chance with the right expert advice. Though, using the name Revlon will not help them establish themselves. The name smacks of has been. They need to not be your grandmother's Revlon anymore. 

For hair color, they might be able to keep going. They have some loyal clients. I don't know much about the hair color market. The right strategies could boost their sales there too. I have a name in mind, Home Color Genius. I think putting Colorstay on the box won't hurt them. They could also target the going gray market with a line of hair care and dye products including the purple shampoos so many gray ladies are trying, They need products that work better than others if they are going to compete and they must use YouTubers to market, showing comparisons between their better Revlon results and others. 

They need to make a clean beauty makeup remover wipe to compete.  Neutrogena is a top seller but many users complain about irritation from it. Revlon could target an anti irritating remover wipe. Put some avocado or soothing aloe or some gimmicky natural clean ingredient in them. Don't put them in the packaging Neutrogena uses which dries out because it's hard to get it to reclose, causing it to dry out. Put the wipes in a tightly recloseable plastic zip loc type purse and travel size and a recloseable zip loc type larger size for home. 

They could get many sales if they create a really good anti redness face cream, lotion, balm, moisturizer, foundation base or foundation. There are so many ladies that have a redness issue, or very ruddy complexion, that are looking for products. 

Create a subsidiary that is not sold in China and is not tested on animals. Make its focus involved is strong work with China and other governments in revising their animal testing policies on products imported from countries that already have proven, rigorous product testing strategies that don't involve animal testing. Promote the work they are doing to change things on their website and social media including YouTube videos. 

They might also consider limited availability of a few products on Amazon.

Another consideration:

Wikipedia has an article on the parent company..MacAndrews & Forbes. Information about its owner Ronald Perleman or owner's company (I'm confused by this), Perelman, according to Wikipedia, said "In early 2020, Revlon, acquired by Perelman in the 1980s, undertook a debt deal.[12] Previously worth $19.8 billion in 2018, Perelman is, as of September 2020, worth $4.3 billion.[13]"

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiBkMuoqqT4AhV8l2oFHbMJAqAQ...

Respected Contributor

@PickyPicky3  Your doll must have been pretty in her dress.

Mine had light brown hair and had little pearl drop earrings.

She was dressed in lounge pajamas. The pants were black velveteen Capris or what they called Toriador Pants. She wore a cream color jacket with gold print. I think that it was belted.

She had black high heels.

It must have been 1956 or 1957.

My favorite dolls from the age of 6 to about 9, were my Ginny Dolls. My mother emptied out two shelves of her linen closet, so I could have a Ginny Doll house with bedroom, kitchen and livingroom furniture.

Toni dolls were also some of my favorites at that age. I still

have my Ginny's and Toni's and my Ginny furniture.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Chi-town girl @They are leaving out the fact that their quality has gone down. I still have a five nail polish set in beautiful colors. This was the one last things I bought from them, about six years ago. The polishes were the worst quality of any polish I've used. They have nice colors, but they missed the chance to up their products quality to complete with other drug store brands that have really improved their quality. They should have focused on their drug store products since big box stores were declining in sales. If they wanted to appeal to younger buyers they should have sold direct to consumer kits like Kylie did or put products under a new name and logo into Sephora, Ulta and other makeup and online retailers. They needed to niche their products and marketing to the niches using YouTube and social media with plenty of influencers. They could have kept some core lipstick colors and upped their formulation and added in some great skin care lines...maybe to compete with the Olay drug store market. 

They still have a chance with the right expert advice. Though, using the name Revlon will not help them establish themselves. The name smacks of has been. They need to not be your grandmother's Revlon anymore. 

For hair color, they might be able to keep going. They have some loyal clients. I don't know much about the hair color market. The right strategies could boost their sales there too. I have a name in mind, Home Color Genius. I think putting Colorstay on the box won't hurt them. They could also target the going gray market with a line of hair care ad dye products including the purple shampoos so many gray ladies are trying, They need products that work better than other if they are grouping to compete and they must use YoTube to market showing comparisons between their better results products and others. 

They need to make a clean beauty makeup remover wipe to compete with neutrigena is a top seller but many users complete about irritation fro pm it. Revlon could target an anti irritating remover wipe. Put some avocado or soothing aloe or some gimmicky natural clean ingredient in them. Don't put themnin the packaging Beurogena uses which tries out because it's hard to get it to reclose so it dries out. Put the wipes in a reloseable plastic zip loc type purse and travel size and a rcloseble zip loc type larger size for home. 

Well stated @Mindy D 👏🏻

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Esteemed Contributor

I used Revlon Colorsilk years ago, but had to stop when it started drying out my hair. They might have changed the formula. I haven't bought any of their other products. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw @Just as I said; poor and declining product quality was a serious issue for them.

Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D   I, too, stopped wearing Revlon nail polish for the longest time.  They were terrible. Sometime last year, I was looking around at nail polish and noticed a sticker on a bottle of Revlon nail polish - new formula.   I was intrigued, and at less than $4 a bottle, I took a chance and bought a bottle.  To my surprise and delight, the new formula is much improved from the old formula.

I now have 3 bottles of their nail polish, and I consistently get at least a week's worth of wear with no chipping.

You might give them another try. 

Honored Contributor

Once in a while i will reach for an older bottle of Revlon nail polish and am p;leasantly surprised at how well it wears and goes on. 

Respected Contributor

@PickyPicky3 

I had a Revlon Doll too. Woman Happy

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

And I loved my Revlon doll.....

Respected Contributor

@Chi-town girl 

Do you or any of the gals on here know who owns Revlon now? Years ago a sales clerk at Walgreen's in the cosmetic dept. told me Estee Lauder had acquired Revlon. She said, their plan was to run Revlon into the ground. Since E.Lauder and Charles Revson were huge competitors I just wondered if this finally has now come to fruition?

Honored Contributor

Revlon doesn't own Elf. Elf is owned buy some conglomerate, TPG Growth.

Revlon does own a lot of celebrity fragrances. I hope these remain available. I sometimes find myself liking some of them more than my expensive perfumes...depending on my mood and the heat and humidity here in Florida.