Esteemed Contributor

Revlon may be looking for a new owner

Revlon may be looking for a new owner. It's got a lot of debt, $3 billion dollars, and is losing money, nearly $300 million in the last year. 

From Retail Dive:

https://www.retaildive.com/news/revlon-explores-a-sale/561099/

Revlon explores a sale

I almost never hear anyone on social media discuss or even mention Revlon or Almay makeup or even Elizabeth Arden which Revlon also owns. I think EmilyNoel is the only youtuber I watch that uses Revlon and talks about this brand regularly.

Revlon also owns Flesh Beauty cosmetics, the brand that names it's products to be hip and trendy but just turns off potential customers with gross double entendres as names of products. Flesh Beauty definitely got discussed on social media but not in a positive way at all.

When was the last time Revlon was relevant? I pretty much pass by the drugstore displays because nothing is new.

I also noticed when I was in Australia last year that Revlon cost a lot more than other American drugstore brands - it was being sold in an Australian department store named Myer and a bottle of Revlon foundation cost about $40 australian dollars compared to Maybelline where a bottle of foundation cost about $23 australian dollars at an Australian pharmacy.

Honored Contributor

Re: Revlon may be looking for a new owner

@TY   I bet Mr. Lauder would love to snatch it up. I think he owns most other companies, so maybe this would be against the laws of “monopolies”.

Esteemed Contributor

I’ve been using Revlon liquid eye liner since I was in High School (a long, long time 😂🤣) & I love it so I hope Revlon doesn’t get sold because we all know that once a company is  sold nothing is ever the same 😢😰😢

Honored Contributor

@January121 wrote:

I’ve been using Revlon liquid eye liner since I was in High School (a long, long time 😂🤣) & I love it so I hope Revlon doesn’t get sold because we all know that once a company is  sold nothing is ever the same 😢😰😢

@January121   That’s why I’ve slowly been breaking away from Bobbi Brown Cosmetics. She was my mentor. I learned most of what I know from her and she gave me my first job under her tutelage. Since she left the building, BB has lost everything she wanted the company to be...including customers. You can hear crickets at the counters. I noted at the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale, most of the BB special items and kits were not purchased for weeks afterwards and were still on sale online. 

Honored Contributor

Oh, so sad. Woman Sad

Especially when I read that someone has been loyal to a shade of Revlon lipstick for decades.

I hear Cherries in the Snow or Fire and Ice and I think: How lucky that they can wear red lipstick.

I love some of the names of their lipsticks and I hate to think that another classic brand will be damaged forever.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I use and love a few of their products. Would hate to see products or the entire the brand disappear. It can be really difficult to find a replacement product for one who love that is discontinued. Been there & done that before. 

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe I should stock up?  The only Revlon product I'm still loyal to is their Lustrous Lipstick line.  I have a couple favorite shades that, yes, I've bought for decades.  Definitely can't be without my Softsilver Red.   Sure would hate to see them disappear, or change.  Gasp!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

The Revlon displays have looked tired for some time.  Always a clue.