Esteemed Contributor

Re: Review on Algenist Tinted moisturizer with SPF 30

[ Edited ]

@febe1 and @LeoGrl I forgot to mention there's a duo with the Algenist TM and a serum on the Q, of which the reviews focus very positively on the TM. There's not a whole lot of reviews but they're there. I'll post back after my visit to Ulta and share my thoughts. Have a great evening. 

Esteemed Contributor

@rochelleS wrote:

@febe1 and @LeoGrl I forgot to mention there's a duo with the Algenist TM and a serum on the Q, of which the reviews focus very positively on the TM. There's not a whole lot of reviews but they're there. I'll post back after my visit to Ulta and share my thoughts. Have a great evening. 

@febe1@LeoGrl and anybody else curious and considering the Algenist TM duo... I went to Ulta earlier today for a color check and mini test drive of this TM. First, it is NOT thick. Perfectly acceptable consistency coming out of the tube, like a medium lotion. Nothing about the texture made me think it was too thick and or globby. I applied by dabbing a wedge sponge on my lower face and later with my fingers. Nice slip, easily spread and no discernable odor that I noticed and I am hyper sensitive to cosmetic smells. The shades to me seem lightish. The Light medium was the best match for me. The medium had a tad more yellow in it and as I haven't been in the sun this year, wasn't my optimum match. The Tan is very neutral and could be wearable if I had color. But since I don't, I opted for the Light Medium and will add a dusting of bronzer if needed later into the summer months. Had a darling sales associate assisting me and she confirmed the shade selection. I've learned it's better to go lighter and add bit of color as opposed to having a noticeable line of demarcation between the jawline and neck. I liked it and will process my order this evening. Hope this helps. If you have any questions just let me know.

Valued Contributor

Thanx for the info rochelleS. That's an idea... I'll check it out the next time I'm at my Ulta to see the colors in person. If I like, I'll probably get it through the Q since you mentioned there's a duo which would be a better value.
Esteemed Contributor

@LeoGrl wrote:
Thanx for the info rochelleS. That's an idea... I'll check it out the next time I'm at my Ulta to see the colors in person. If I like, I'll probably get it through the Q since you mentioned there's a duo which would be a better value.

@LeoGrl

I'm glad I ordered the duo on AD. I had an appt at the Ulta Brow Bar after my posts. (see above) I went in moisturized, but fresh faced, with only a little lip color, purposely. I'd previously color matched to the light-medium shade and applied the same full face after my brows were done.

Again, a smooth creamy texture. Not thick or difficult to spread as many Q reviews stated. (Sephora and Ulta comments greatly differed to the positive) No smell that I determined. With being migraine prone, often triggered by scent, this is a huge important issue of personal concern. My Brow 'Gal' wanted to put a little make up on me, I said wait a sec while I put on this TM. .. it still matched, beautifully melding into a natural finish that quickly dried and took the cheek and high light colors flawlessly. It felt good, not heavy or tacky, nor did the finish change on me. Wore it well into the late evening and noticed the (cheek) color held well, right up to the time I washed my face. Appears to be a nice makeup base or canvas. Glad I decided to try this for the better part of the day, with the dusting of color on top. I look forward to adding this to my SPF skincare products.

Also to reiterate,  the colors offered run light. FYI the medium is definitely yellow based, Lt-Med and the Tan are neutral based. I am glad to have generously sampled this before ordering. 

Anyone else tried this? What are your thoughts? 

Trusted Contributor

@rochelleS wrote:

@rochelleS wrote:

@febe1@LeoGrl and anybody else curious and considering the Algenist TM duo... I went to Ulta earlier today for a color check and mini test drive of this TM. First, it is NOT thick. Perfectly acceptable consistency coming out of the tube, like a medium lotion. Nothing about the texture made me think it was too thick and or globby. I applied by dabbing a wedge sponge on my lower face and later with my fingers. Nice slip, easily spread and no discernable odor that I noticed and I am hyper sensitive to cosmetic smells. The shades to me seem lightish. The Light medium was the best match for me. The medium had a tad more yellow in it and as I haven't been in the sun this year, wasn't my optimum match. The Tan is very neutral and could be wearable if I had color. But since I don't, I opted for the Light Medium and will add a dusting of bronzer if needed later into the summer months. Had a darling sales associate assisting me and she confirmed the shade selection. I've learned it's better to go lighter and add bit of color as opposed to having a noticeable line of demarcation between the jawline and neck. I liked it and will process my order this evening. Hope this helps. If you have any questions just let me know.

@rochelleS wrote:

@rochelleS wrote:

@rochelleS, Thank you for the review, it sounds great.

Esteemed Contributor

@wishmoon

You're very welcome. Another test will be during the high heat and humidity of our Mi summer. Are you interested?  What do you use now?

Trusted Contributor

I use Dior now, it's a spray, I spray it on my wrist/back of hand and use a brush to apply. I just ordered another container in the "Rougespring" sale at Sephora but am always up for new tinted moisturizer for summer. I think I can still get away with one w/o a foundation!

Valued Contributor

I like it also. I do not detect any scent. It is not thick and it does cover reddness which I have.

My absolute favorite is PTR tinted moisturizer. I have used it for years. But it is expensive from his website.

I gave the Algenist a try because it offered two tubes. Figured I could send it back as I still have a tube of PTR.

Algenist works. However, I noticed the staying power is not there. When I washed my face later in the day, nothing showed on my washcloth. I thought that was odd.

I know PTR lasts until I wash my face at night.

But it was worth the price.

Honored Contributor

Uh-oh, chemical SPF-that let's me out.