Esteemed Contributor

Review of Trish McEvoy New Water Base Foundation

I ordered this from Nordstrom's and just received it.  Was off today so didn't have any makeup on so I tried out this foundation.  I ordered the Medium 1, and it was a perfect color match for me.  It was like applying a new layer of skin on my face.  I could hardly tell I had makeup on.  My face looked very smooth and natural.  I couldn't apply it using her new brush because that I ordered through HSN and haven't received it yet.  I applied it using a Smashbox large Paddle brush and it worked fine. 

I do have to say I have normal skin and hardly any wrinkles and I have no redness at all to my face.  If you have any kind of redness or color changes to the face,  I would not recommend buying this foundation.  I've been using Trish McEvoy's regular liquid foundation for a long time, and I love it.  

Would I purchase this water based foundation again vs. Trish McEvoy's regular liquid foudation?  No, I would not even though this new foundation worked great for me, I still love her regular liquid foundation the best.  They both good products but again, you have to have normal colored skin to use it.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Review of Trish McEvoy New Water Base Foundation

Thanks for the review @BlingQueen022. Can you explain why you like the other foundation better though? Is it the type of finish (matte, dewy, satin, etc)? The coverage (lighter, medium. sheer)? How it feels on your skin? The color match? Or something else? TIA!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HappyDaze wrote:

Thanks for the review @BlingQueen022. Can you explain why you like the other foundation better though? Is it the type of finish (matte, dewy, satin, etc)? The coverage (lighter, medium. sheer)? How it feels on your skin? The color match? Or something else? TIA!

@HappyDaze Hi HappyDaze.  I like her other foundation because it's a little thicker based foundation, and I think it gives you more coverage.  It's hard to explain, I guess it's the security feeling that when I'm out my foundation will hold up.  This water based foundation if extremely thin in consistency.  It covers, and you totally look very natural and smooth, but I'm not sure whether this foundation will take you through your entire day before you look at yourself and say, "what happened to my foundation."  I'm not sure it will last for an entired day.  I need to use it again tomorrow in the morning and look at my face at 5pm and see if it stayed on all day.  

It does not leave your face with a satin finish but it doesn't leave your face with a dry finish either.  It has the same consistency as the foundation I have from Smashbox that also advertises it leaves your face with a second skin.  This is a very light coverage foundation.  It's truely for only women that have a clear complextion to start with.  

One downfall is I don't like the way the application is.  I don't like the eye dropper dispense of it because you have to be really careful not to knock over the bottle when you put the dropper back in.  This foundation could have been a pump dispenser.  Hope this helps.  One thing I forgot.  I always use a primer first, but since I just got this tonight I forgot all about te primer because I just wanted to put it on to see how it worked and I was going to remove it right afterwards.  I'm going to use a primer in the morning and then use this foundation again.  

Regular Contributor

I was excited to try this foundation until I read in Trish's website that she includes parabens in this foundation. Considering how far we've come, adding parabens is completely unnecessary anymore. I was very disappointed. Some may not care what's in their beauty products, but I certainly care, and this was a huge let down.

Honored Contributor

@Haircut100 wrote:

I was excited to try this foundation until I read in Trish's website that she includes parabens in this foundation. Considering how far we've come, adding parabens is completely unnecessary anymore. I was very disappointed. Some may not care what's in their beauty products, but I certainly care, and this was a huge let down.

@Haircut100, I care what's in my beauty products. But all of us who do care may not agree on what is considered a bad ingredient or a good ingredient.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Thank you for that additional info @BlingQueen022. I prefer thinner, more sheer foundation since I don't really have anything to cover up but the bad thing about most thinner foundations is, like you mentioned, that they tend not to last as long or hold up in more hot and humid weather (an example of this was the recent hydrogel Doll10 foundation).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BlingQueen022  Thank you for your review!! Do you normally use the TM Even Skin Treatment foundation? I've used that and the finish is beautiful, I must say.

I spoke with Trish's CS rep, Natalie, at length about the Water Foundation. She told me that this is a water based long wearing foundation with a built in primer so no primer is needed and it will last 12 hours (on average). It's buildable; add a second layer only where needed (usually forehead, nose and cheek area). It's not super matte but it's not the glowy finish of the Treatment finish.

What shade do you wear in the other Trish foundation? Though I ordered this, Natalie is sending me samples so I can try it and see if it works for my skin. Because I have DRY skin, she DID suggest a primer for me for winter use or a very rich moisturizer. I think for summer, however, this will would be perfect due to the high heat and humidity where I live.

Droppers don't thrill me; I saw Trish just wipe it off the stick instead of the dropper/button system. Is there a reason the droppers are all the rage right now? Will these foundation with droppers NOT work in a pump for some reason? Serious question as I don't understand the appeal of the droppers.

Honored Contributor

@BlingQueen022 - glad to read your early review! 

Your description of the coverage and finish sounds very much like Armani. I'm even more excited to try it! Love the 2nd skin finish Heart

Armani has a good pigment level enuf to provide light to med coverage.

I sometimes have redness or a blemish, addtl spot treat works great. I like to use a micro loose powder or blurring powder to set. 

I don't care what brand of makeup, everything I've used needs a touchup by 5/6p if my day starts at 7a. My order will arrive mid Oct, will post my review then.

Now I'm watching the CoverFX shows that I recorded. Next visit I think I will try the drops and I esp like the click stick for travel, and the primers too. Looks like a successful launch with sellouts.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam wrote:

@BlingQueen022  Thank you for your review!! Do you normally use the TM Even Skin Treatment foundation? I've used that and the finish is beautiful, I must say.

I spoke with Trish's CS rep, Natalie, at length about the Water Foundation. She told me that this is a water based long wearing foundation with a built in primer so no primer is needed and it will last 12 hours (on average). It's buildable; add a second layer only where needed (usually forehead, nose and cheek area). It's not super matte but it's not the glowy finish of the Treatment finish.

What shade do you wear in the other Trish foundation? Though I ordered this, Natalie is sending me samples so I can try it and see if it works for my skin. Because I have DRY skin, she DID suggest a primer for me for winter use or a very rich moisturizer. I think for summer, however, this will would be perfect due to the high heat and humidity where I live.

Droppers don't thrill me; I saw Trish just wipe it off the stick instead of the dropper/button system. Is there a reason the droppers are all the rage right now? Will these foundation with droppers NOT work in a pump for some reason? Serious question as I don't understand the appeal of the droppers.

@SahmIam   Yes, I do normally use the Trish McEvoy Even Skin.  I love that foundation.  I can't even count the number of bottles i've been through.  I wish she would make the bottle bigger, lol.  The shade I use in this foundation is "Beige."  That's a perfect match for me.  In the Clinique brand of liquid foundation I use the color "Porcelain Beige."  

I don't undertstand the appeal either with the use of droppers.  I have a Foundation that's the same thing as Trish's Water Foundation from Smashbox called "second skin" which is a good one also, and they don't use the dropper method.  It's a pump.  Then I have another water based foundation from Lancome and I actually threw that out in the trash because it was a dropper but the base of the bottle was too narrow.  I kept knocking it over.  (Can you see I'm a foundation junkie, lol lol)  The only powder foundation I will use is Laura Geller's.  She's the best.  

I like Trish's Water Foudation, but I just won't purchase it again because I much prefer her Even Skin Foundation with the sp 15.  To me, that's my HG foundation.  Her water foundation will surely be used as well this time.  It does work for me.  It did leave my skin nice and smooth with a very natrual smooth skin look.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@BlingQueen022 - glad to read your early review! 

Your description of the coverage and finish sounds very much like Armani. I'm even more excited to try it! Love the 2nd skin finish Heart

Armani has a good pigment level enuf to provide light to med coverage.

I sometimes have redness or a blemish, addtl spot treat works great. I like to use a micro loose powder or blurring powder to set. 

I don't care what brand of makeup, everything I've used needs a touchup by 5/6p if my day starts at 7a. My order will arrive mid Oct, will post my review then.

Now I'm watching the CoverFX shows that I recorded. Next visit I think I will try the drops and I esp like the click stick for travel, and the primers too. Looks like a successful launch with sellouts.

@Chi-town girl  You know it's funny.  I get to work at 5am during the week to beat the lousy DC traffic and I put my makeup on usually at 2:30am!!  Yes, I know it's insane, lol  but I leave at 4am and I like to relax and enjoy a cup of coffee before I leave.  It takes me about 50 min. to get to work from where I live at.  

Anyway, usually at the end of the day, Trish's Even Skin foundation lasts on me for the entire day.  Almost, the entire day, but works for me for my schedule.  Also, I use Trish's Beauty Balm as a foundation and I also love that.  I think that's just as good as her Even Skin foundation.  I'm looking forward to reading your review once you get yours.  I do like her Water Foundation, but her Even Skin wins hands down and so does her Beauty Balm.