Honored Contributor

Review of Eve Pearl TSV.

[ Edited ]

My kit arrived yesterday afternoon and I played with it; my samples from Trish McEvoy arrived at the same time (Water Foundation Review will be up tomorrow). I'm wearing the entire Eve Pearl TSV in FAIR (since 6am) and at this point, I now know about the kit and the products in it. For reference, I have dry to very dry skin, little to no lines (except under the eye), slight hyperpigmentation along one cheek. Using the MAC color system, I would be a N5 (there is NO SUCH COLOR offered at MAC nor any other department or drug store at this time for me to purchase. I usually have to mix 4-6 products between primer, bases and powder to get a color match). Pure white is the shade of powder I am always on the lookout for. 

This kit was a FAIL. That said, it is MY fail; doesn't mean it won't work for anyone else (obviously). What didn't work for me may mean it's perfect for you. : ) Here we go:

1) Brushes: Excellent quality but I hate double ended brushes. I store mine in either a makeup pouch or in a cup so one end is always going to be crushed/dirty. I was not going to keep these but pass them on to a teenager I know who would love them. I did not use them as I have a CHANEL foundation brush and slanted Sigma buffing brush (both are the same in design to the one in the kit). I don't use fan brushes ever.

2) Liquid Lipstick: This is not a plum shade but a BRIGHT pink shade. VERY bright. Good for spring  but not a shade I would wear in Fall. Goes on intensely, leaves a stain behind, does NOT bleed outside the lipline, hydrates unlike any other liquid lipstick I have tried. HOWEVER... it has a chemical grapefruit smell that makes me nauseous. No way I can use this product due to the scent.

3) Face Palette: The four shades on ME are off white, Barbie pink, rust (reddish) and orange. If you combine the top 3 shades, you do get a beautiful flush of pinkish-rose color (just like in the presentation). Excellent color pigment... a little goes a long way. Matte. The compact, if I used as blush, would last me 6-8 years. Every 90 days is overkill for this product. Very easy, due to the pigment for me to look clown-like. Another pass.

4) Concealer: My shade is FAIR. I could not figure out which shade was the salmon colored one : (  Both look like very pales shades of beige (one being very pale). I took my Holy Grail product by Benefit (Erase Paste Brightening Concealer in Fair), swiped it next to the shades and THEN could tell which was bit darker. The concealers covered nothing. I layered and layered and layered but you could still see my dark circles. I put the Erase Paste over it and set with powder. Good to go. A HUGE plus, however: despite how heavy I packed this product on, it NEVER creased! Smooth as glass and yes, I have lines in my undereye area. That's a big deal!!

5) Foundation: You have no idea how disappointed I am about this. I've looked at her product on her site for many years and watched her tutorials; they have an orange tinge and this made her foundation swatches look dark. Listening and watching the videos, however, I saw very pale models so... YES! THEN she finally places swatches on her arm and WOW, the FAIR shade looks so pale. Another YES. But sadly.....

not to be. On, the lightest shade was almost my neck color but not quite. Nowhere NEAR as white/pale as the photos. Still, I applied both shades as directed using the buffing technique. I looked like I had on a shiny tinted moisturizer; hardly any coverage. I applied a second layer. Better but you could see the brush streaks. I have found that it's fine to apply the product with the brush but using a damp Beauty Blender leaves it looking flawless. It looked good! I have to apply it over a white base OR use white powder to make it match me perfectly and that doesn't thrill me.

However...a few hours later, I checked my face and...... I was now darker with a beigy/dirty tinge to my face : (  The color changed on me and so....not going to work.

The product feels great on my dry skin, excellent slip, convenient case. But the shade is not super pale. Again, using a MAC color reference, The Eve Pearl Foundation in FAIR is N12-N15 (IMHO)

Being very pale brings challenges to makeup purchasing and I refuse to settle anymore for colors that aren't perfect for me/the look I want. If I was a light-medium shade without dark circles, the kit would be fantastic but it doesn't meet my needs/standards, so... there it is. Back it goes.  I sincerely hope it DOES work for those of you who ordered it. Please post so we can celebrate (or commiserate) together. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: Review of Eve Pearl TSV.

Sorry this was a fail for you; her medium is way too orangy/yellow for me. I need more cowbell, er, I mean pink or cool undertones.

Her brushes are lovely and I do use it w/Laura Mercier Silk Creme foundation in Ecru, which is presently the only foundation that isnt flaring my rosacea. Bobbi Brown Serum foundation also doesnt flare me but I cant get a perfect match (BB is too yellow, even her coolest shades).

Her lipsticks are hydrating, but as you said, very pink. I wore Park Ave. Rose this summer, but am back to my fave shade : Tom Ford's Pink Dusk.

The salmon concealer is A-OK for my blue/grey undereye circles. I get 9 hours of sleep nightly, and this diffuses the blue undertone.

I appreciate you taking the time to give us your review!

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for the great detailed review.  I ordered it in the medium at the last minute.  I have returned both the Josie TSV and the Laura Geller TSV because of color match. Even medium skintones, although they always say buy medium, doesn't work for everyone.  If this kit,  when I receive it doesn't work for me, it will also be returned and I will just stick with what I use now - Skinn's BB cream.  I just wanted to update my make-up a little without breaking the bank.  I don't wear very much make-up - just to work and only the BB, eyeliner, brow and lips.  I don't even wear mascara unless I'm going out someplace.  I am looking forward to receiving it and testing it out.  I don't hold out much hope though. 

P.S. For some strange reason when I saw this kit I immediatley thought of Adriene Arpel's make-up.  They look very similar.  I haven't used AA since her spa days.

Thanks again for the review.  Will post when I receive mine.

Honored Contributor

I also want to thank you for your very detailed review!

I now know that I was absolutely correct in my feeling that it would not be good for me.

$$$ saved.

Respected Contributor

Feeling a tad defeated after reading this! I am awaiting my medium kit. Generally I cannot get a good match but with the 2 colors, I thought this might be a better option.

At worst it will also be a fail and will be shipped right back.

Thanks for such a thorough review!!!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

Thanks so much for the detailed review!  

At 4 minutes before midnight I decided to order this even though I had very major doubts.  I too am very fair and have no luck ordering online, and even in stores it is hard to get a good match.  I also have very dry skin and a few fine lines here and there.  I have found some fabulous products this year and love what I am using but boy they made this seem like the cat's pj's.

My biggest concern was how it was applied - like Adrienne it seemed, just smearing it all over, in a huge hurry.  I hate that, but.....was looking for a new concealer and it did look tempting.

When I tried to order it my WiFi was out and by the time I rebooted it was too late.....so I am thrilled your review confirmed all my doubts about this product for me.  I figured no wi fi was a SIGN!

I too hate double ended brushes, didn't think the quad was going to work, too orangey and intense, had hoped the lip product would, but nope, don't want that bright of a pink now.  

Also, I did not think the hosts wearing this looked that good, even Sandra Bennett who usually looks ethereally beautiful.  MaryBeth looked older and not soft and pretty, very harsh.  I actually walked up to my HD tv screen and looked at them carefully, but I wanted to see it under the eyes, etc.  

I'm going to try the Benefit concealer.  I'm tired of BBU by It, as it does work, it is the right color, but it is too heavy and gummy.

Thanks again, I am feeling relieved I missed out on it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jacie  Please DON'T feel that way!!!  Just because it didn't work for me means it won't work for you; just the opposite!!  If you knew how many Youtubers and Beauty bloggers who have RAVED about products that I found to be "meh/horrible".... LOLOLOLOL. Trust me...it's A LOT.

Maybe I'm just a super picky *itch. Who knows. The kit is fantastic but my issues are what made it not work. Hugs!!

Contributor

Thanks for the detailed review.  I am a women of color and find that many brands have strong orange undertones making them unwearable.

For anyone interested (using MAC as a reference: I am NW45) I find the best foundation/concealer brands are Becca (Syrup)for concealer, Laura Mercier (Mocha) tinted moisturizer and of course MAC.

Honored Contributor

Years ago Qvc had a second NY channel. Higher end products. Miss it! Anyhoo, There was a makeup brand illmakage *spelling is wrong* can't remember, This was 22 years ago. CEO French? Belive so. Reason for mentioning her brand, Eva makeup reminiscent of that brand. She offered small compact with pinkish peach and tan concealer came in three different tones, Loved it!!! Used not only as concealer foundation and color corrector and blush! Fantastic item. Once purchased, Plastic large lip gloss, Omy so beautiful! Quailty amazing. Think the company is still around, once mentioned here on the forums someone gave me the correct spelling. CEO lovely lady. Really wish could remember her first name. Wonder if she's still living. Anyone? Remember NYC QVC, Station? TIA 💓
Regular Contributor

I will add my review to the OP's: I am also very pale and ordered fair. I was unsure because the one time I saw the fair model I was unsure of the color and almost thought to try the light instead. But took a chance and went with the fair (which I'm glad of, the light would have been way too dark on me) and I have it on today. Here are my thoughts so far:

The foundation was easy to apply but looked so very thick on me, I had to use a wet brush to sheer it out some. The color was not as pretty as I had hoped, rather dull and a odd undertone to it. 

The blush went on well, and it really only takes a whisper or you have way too much on. The concealer made my undereye look worse, not better. It showed every puff. line, whatever. But I may have put it on wrong, I don't usually use concealers, so I'm going to give it another try tomorrow.

The lip product has a horrid smell, the taste even worse, and the color was washed out on me.

I will try the foundation a few more days, applying different ways, before I decide if it's a keeper or not. At this point it's not, I think what I was wearing before (Mary Kay foundation) actually looked better.