Respected Contributor

Reverse hair washing: Have you ever tried it?

I hear a lot about using conditioner first than shampoo. What are the benefits? I tried it today and it did not work out well but I did rinse out all the conditioner first before shampooing. Are you supposed to leave the conditioner in then shampooing it out instead of rinsing first? I am just also courious on what the benefits are supposed to be?

Respected Contributor

Re: Reverse hair washing: Have you ever tried it?

I have used conditioner then shampoo. I have done this to avoid drying my hair out with shampoo. I apply a small amount of shampoo to my scalp while conditioner is still in my hair.

You could try different ways and see what works best for you.

Honored Contributor

That has been done by some hairdressers for years. I've had my hairdressers put on conditioners then put me under the dryer and then wash my hair.

I didn't know more people didn't do this. I have thyroid problems (my hair has really suffered from it) This really conditions my hair.

Honored Contributor

I use Pert which is shampoo and conditioner all in one - I think this is pretty much the same thing.

Super Contributor

Right now I have 3 different brands of shampoo/conditioner. I think my hair feels/looks better not to use one brand for any length of time. So I alternate and mix/match. And sometimes I put the conditioner on first and then shampoo. Sometimes I don't use a conditioner. More often than not I just a mix a little conditioner into the shampoo and use it that way. Ever so often I use a clarifying shampoo. The only thing I pretty much don't do is shampoo and then use a conditioner as this doesn't seem to leave my hair feeling clean.
Super Contributor

I find this method works well for my fine hair to keep conditioner from weighing it down. (Yes, even after rinsing, the residue from conditioner can cause my hair to go flat.) I apply conditioner, let it sit for a minute or two, then apply the shampoo over it, massage through, and rinse. If I rinse the conditioner out first, there's no benefit for me, it's just as if I shampooed with no conditioner.

Respected Contributor

i actually reversed-washed it today by accident! i used conditioner i thought it was poo (the bottle and color look the same) i cannot see much difference, i air-dried it though.

Super Contributor

I find reverse shampooing also does wonders for my fine hair too!! I condition first, then rinse a little bit, without rinsing all of the conditioner. Then I add shampoo, then rinse it all out together. I find it dies not weigh my hair down, and leaves my hair with a lot of body to it.

I also alternate using 2 different shampoos and conditioners, which helps too.

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/25/2014 QVCdebt said:

I find reverse shampooing also does wonders for my fine hair too!! I condition first, then rinse a little bit, without rinsing all of the conditioner. Then I add shampoo, then rinse it all out together. I find it dies not weigh my hair down, and leaves my hair with a lot of body to it.

I also alternate using 2 different shampoos and conditioners, which helps too.

I never heard of it but I'll try it tonight.

Trusted Contributor

I've been doing reverse washing since I was in high school because my hair is very fine & naturally curly and conditioners (and some shampoos) always weighed my hair down. Plus I always do a cold rinse at the end to get all the residue out of my hair.

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!