Trusted Contributor

Reveal by Algenist, their new foundation - my review

Just arrived. I'm a self professed junkie when it comes to foundation, BB's and CC's (among other makeup)...overloaded but it's such fun.

My skin is dry, I'm just turned 59 yr. old and the shades I wear are light but leaning to light or light/medium now that I'm older light foundation washes me out. I bought the Light-Medium shade. It looked a tad dark in the bottle and it's a very well made dropper bottle that is unlike other dropper bottles I've seen...no drips and such with tight opening so no drips and less oxidation too.

This color was perfect on top of my hand as a test. Not yellow nor orange or too pink, rare for a foundation!. I used it without my sunblock (mineral) which is kinda heavy. I used a primer, I feel it's a must with this one, haven't used it alone w/o a primer. This has satin matte finish to me, but not a dry matte unless skin is uber dry I'd say it may come off that way. It covered everything...it was very buildable. I did not use the brush it came with (think BareM's brush with the flat head and cut out for their serum foundation--it's about that exact size) but I applied w/ my fingers or used the It brush we all must have by now LOL! the double ended one I have grown to love. I like larger brush heads like Tarte's and It's and Hourglass brushes with liquid type fdn., this looked too small for my liking...it was double ended, one end beveled.

I used a concealer but could have skipped it perhaps.

I have to say it's quite a nice foundation! Smiley Happy

I just wanted a dewier finish, I will enjoy it on my non-dewy m/u days Smiley Wink  It did stay on well -  it's unlike the kind of foundation that may come off in spots if you touched your face. It applies so nice and smooth. Again my dry skin w/o my daily sunblock made it look so nice I feel but when I layer my ugh-y SPF's I think. I may not have that nice skin look...it may become caky...not sure yet...will see.

I'd recommend this for normal, combo and slightly dry but not really dry skin types. Have a nice day everyone Smiley Happy !!!

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky
Trusted Contributor

Re: Reveal by Algenist, their new foundation - my review

@mimi5775, does this foundation settle into fine lines and wrinkles even with a primer?

Honored Contributor

I received mine the other day.  I see they increased the price since the first presentation.  I'm still on the fence about it.  It seems kind of thick for me and hard to put on evenly.  I'm not really liking the brush either.  I will give it another try before making my final decision. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pleasantly surprised on this one.  This is the first foundation I have tried  that has not settled into fines lines.  Gives a flawless look.  Only tried it twice (and I was a bit rushed) but I am liking it so far... this coming from someone who hates any kind of foundation.

Did not need a concealer.  I might add I am in my late 60's and I do have lines.  sigh...

No thought is worth thinking.....
Honored Contributor

I did just order their color correcting primer.  It sounded interesting from the presentation.  Looking forward to trying it with the foundation to see if it makes a difference.

Esteemed Contributor

@mimi5775 wrote:

Just arrived. I'm a self professed junkie when it comes to foundation, BB's and CC's (among other makeup)...overloaded but it's such fun.

My skin is dry, I'm just turned 59 yr. old and the shades I wear are light but leaning to light or light/medium now that I'm older light foundation washes me out. I bought the Light-Medium shade. It looked a tad dark in the bottle and it's a very well made dropper bottle that is unlike other dropper bottles I've seen...no drips and such with tight opening so no drips and less oxidation too.

This color was perfect on top of my hand as a test. Not yellow nor orange or too pink, rare for a foundation!. I used it without my sunblock (mineral) which is kinda heavy. I used a primer, I feel it's a must with this one, haven't used it alone w/o a primer. This has satin matte finish to me, but not a dry matte unless skin is uber dry I'd say it may come off that way. It covered everything...it was very buildable. I did not use the brush it came with (think BareM's brush with the flat head and cut out for their serum foundation--it's about that exact size) but I applied w/ my fingers or used the It brush we all must have by now LOL! the double ended one I have grown to love. I like larger brush heads like Tarte's and It's and Hourglass brushes with liquid type fdn., this looked too small for my liking...it was double ended, one end beveled.

I just wanted a dewier finish, I will enjoy it on my non-dewy m/u days Smiley Wink  It did stay on well -  it's unlike the kind of foundation that may come off in spots if you touched your face. It applies so nice and smooth. Again my dry skin w/o my daily sunblock made it look so nice I feel but when I layer my ugh-y SPF's I think. I may not have that nice skin look...it may become caky...not sure yet...will see.

I'd recommend this for normal, combo and slightly dry but not really dry skin types. Have a nice day everyone Smiley Happy !!!

I gree with all you said, including the dewier finish so today I am going to try it with the Laura Mercier radiance primer.  On the fence on the brush.  I ended up using my fingers yesterday.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It seems I'm the foundation sampler lately, I've been trying out a few.  I was intrigued when I saw the presentation so I ordered it as well.  Today is only the second day trying it out.  I don't always have a good experience with serum type foundations as some be oily.  The Algenist Reveal is the first Algenist product I've purchased.  So far, I like it quite a bit.  It is so lightweight, it feels like nothing is there.  It's evened everything out and the color (light-medium) is perfect for my skintone and I really liked the finish.  It's not drying at all on me.  I used the brush that came was included and it seems to work fine for me.  After doing my entire face in a circular motion, I went back to certain spots and used a little more foundation in a tapping motion to cover any imperfections and they were completely hidden.  It did a really nice job under the eyes but didn't settle in any lines.  Yesterday I did all of my normal AM skincare, used a primer, and then applied the foundation.  In the afternoon, I could see a little shine break through, but a blotting paper took care of that w/o removing any of the makeup.  Today I skipped the primer, thinking that the primer would block the penetration of any of the skincare ingredients.  After several hours, it still looks very nice and fresh. 

Honored Contributor

@mimi5775 wrote:

@mimi5775 thank you for your thorough review! 

Honored Contributor

I did try it again today and it is way to yellow for me.  I ordered the medium and probably should of gotten the light/med but it was sold out.  I should wait and try it with the primer I ordered but I am sending it back today and going to Ulta to try a few new foundations they have.  

Esteemed Contributor

I watched the show & the presentation was very interesting. I was tempted but thought I would wait as I've got lots of foundations.. Thanks to everyone for good and thorough and helpful reviews.. I'm eager to see another of her shows. If it works as sold, it will do well.