Respected Contributor

I've got a question and know there are very knowledgeable people on these forums. I've always heard that you shouldn't wear retinol during the day because of the sun. The IT Hello Results Daily Retinol Serum-in-Cream says to wear in the day but make sure you use sunscreen. I wear sunscreen, but am wondering if this would be safe to wear in our bright summer sun. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Honored Contributor

Re: Retinol in Day Moisturizers

[ Edited ]

Retinol doesn't change to something dangerous when it gets exposed to the sun. The retinol just breaks down and becomes useless. Same can be said for most any of the retinoids, including Retin-A. If you are going to wear a retinoid during the daytime then you must wear a sunscreen if you want the retinoid to work...and not a chemical sunscreen but a mineral one.

ETA - About chemical sunscreens...

Those need to be applied to clean dry skin or on top of a vitamin C serum if you use one. Chemical sunscreen needs to absorb into the skin in order for it to give you the proper amount of SPF as stated on the label. Do not layer chemical sunscreens on top of anything other than a vitamin C serum because that will cause the sunscreen to lose it's SPF rating.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee 

I learn something every time I read one of your beauty posts.  This is why I like coming to the boards!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@Carolina925   IMO, Retin A and retinols work best at night when you don't have sunscreen, moisturizers, makeup on that interferes with its job. 

Respected Contributor

Thank you so much for your responses. I did not know the points brought up and didn't know there was a difference in sunscreens: chemical or mineral. I think I'll stick to my nighttime retinol and hope it's doing something for me...but now I wonder if it's all in my head and I'm just hoping it's working.

Respected Contributor

Thanks so much for this explanation! I didn't know there were different sunscreens and will have to read up on these. I don't know if I've been using chemical or mineral! I sure appreciate your explaining all this. 

Trusted Contributor

Hope it is ok if I ask since retinol is being discussed - does putting on a moisturizer at night interfere with the efficacy of the retinol?

Honored Contributor

@isaboo wrote:

Hope it is ok if I ask since retinol is being discussed - does putting on a moisturizer at night interfere with the efficacy of the retinol?

@isaboo 

Moisturizers won't change retinol's efficacy. Apply the retinol first, let it absorb for 15-20 minutes and then apply your moisturizer.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@isaboo wrote:

@isaboo 

Moisturizers won't change retinol's efficacy. Apply the retinol first, let it absorb for 15-20 minutes and then apply your moisturizer.

@SilleeMee  Thank you!