Occasional Contributor

Retinol for extremely sensitive skin? I'm looking and need help please

Hi~ I have extremely sensitive, reactive skin. I'm allergic to aloe vera, soy, fragrance (lavender, rose) green cosmetic dye, olive oil. These all make my skin welp and burn. I have core malignant melanoma (blood cancer) and my skin has been thru the ringer. I'm extremely fair (porcelain) and have broken capillaries from my eyes all over down to my jawline. I also have larger pores and a congested t-zone. A deep #1 and mouth to chin lines. I really hate this stuff, I'm so pale everything shows!

I'm looking at Elizabeth Grant's Wonder retinol duo on Evine. I watched the presentation and the b&a's were incredible. I'm also looking at the cleansing oil duo. I really trust your opinions on ingredients. Would you all please take a look for me and see what you think?  I'm disabled now and can't afford much, but these are on easy pay for now. 

If you have any other suggestions or questions, please ask, I greatly appreciate any advice.  Sorry for the long post, I am just trying to give you some info to go on.  Thank you so much!!

Occasional Contributor

Re: Retinol for extremely sensitive skin? I'm looking and need help please

Hi again! I forgot to post the item numbers...oooops!

Retinol duo: 313-262

Cleansing oil: 311-545

Contributor

have you talked to your dermatolgist about it ? i don't have your problem . but i noticed that Life Extension has developed some new face and body products face creams and serums with a reteniol in it along with rice  ceramides to hold in moisture . i like what i have purchased from them so far.. my dermatologist told me to apply Afrin to my red spider veins cause the rX is so expensive. good luck and God Bless.

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry you are going through this! It sounds rough. I am sending you warm thoughts of a complete recovery.

For now, I would stay far away from retinol in your case. Stay away from anything irritating. Your skin does not need extra stimulation of any kind. When skin acts angry it needs to be nurtured and nourished. Anti aging can't work on damaged, irritated skin. In fact it can worsen problems.

What do you use to wash your face? Go with a very mild cleanser without any sulfates in it. Low bubbles. No scrubbing. Strangely enough, many skin issues stem from over exfoliating and harsh cleansers.

I'd also recommend colloidal oatmeal. Such as Aveeno. They've done scientific tests that found it really does help compromised skin in many surprising ways. CeraVe may work for you, may not. It's a solid moisturizer, but does have some chemicals that might be no nos. You should definitely patch test it if you want to try it. Both brands are relatively inexpensive and available at CVS or Walgreens locally or online on Amazon.

If you want to use home shopping tv to get your product, you might try QVC's First Aid Beauty brand. Several of their products contain colloidal oatmeal. None of that line is on Easy Pay at the moment, but you could start with Aveeno in the meantime and then get First Aid Beauty when QVC has an easy pay event. Here's a link to the First Aid Beauty line:

http://www.qvc.com/beauty/first-aid-beauty/_/N-rhtyZ1z13hhx/c.html?identifier=6285&cm_re=BRAND-_-Fir...

Cover the redness with a simple mineral foundation with sunscreen.

Once your skin calms down, then maybe try a retinol or something similar recommended by your dermatologist. If your derm recommends a retinoid for the rosacea right now, then of course ignore me and go with whatever she says.

May you be completely well and look exactly the way you want to very soon.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Contributor

@rockalittle, so sorry to hear about your illness! First and foremost, wishing you the best in your journey to recovery 🙂 I'll echo what the others are saying... I'd say please discuss with your dermatologist first before starting any serious skincare regime. Retinol is a very effective product but also has very strong side effects. I have pretty tough skin that isn't phased by much BUT I do see redness and peeling when I use retinol a few consecutive days in a row. There are also many other people on this board that are sensitive to retinol as well. I'd hate for you to waste money on a product and then have to spend more money to try to fix it. When you discuss with your derm, also ask them for any free samples, trial sizes, coupons, etc. Hopefully they do have some and you can try for free before you buy. (Always love that) Again, good luck and hope all goes well! 🙂
Honored Contributor

Given your situation, I would not use retinol Yes, it's an excellent ingredient, but its not for everyone. I don't do well with it at all and gave up trying. I second @Porcelain's excellent advice.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@rockalittle I would say no to Retinol, especially you.  When I hear these ladies on the board talk about Retinol and there skin is so dry it peels, I personally would not want to walk around with peeling skin on my face.  Maybe you can try Vitamin C serum which brightens the skin.  I bought my first bottle in a little over a week ago by Mad Hippie which is rated high.  I paid $20 and change from iherb.com.  You can read the ingredients on that site to see if it would work.  If not, just stick to a moisturizer you can use.  Marula oil is good for redness and I buy mine at iherb too.  My skin use to be very sensitive and still is but not as much.  Good luck to you and take good care.  Heart:cathappy:

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

I have extremely dry and very sensitive skin. I have a ton of allergies to cosmetic ingredients. That being said, I have been using the entire Wonder Effects retinol line from Elizabeth Grant for about a year and half. I have never had any type of reaction, redness, or dryness. It is very moisturizing. I would recommend of the products in this line. They are often sold out and very popular. My skin has never looked better and I can tell a difference if I stop using. I would recommend giving it a try. Also, you can read all of the reviews and then decide. The overnight sleeping mask is a real skin changer.

Contributor

I have been using Elizabeth Grant's Wonder Retinol products for over a year.  I have had wonderful results with no side effects at all as far as flaking or dry skin.  I ordered the new formula presented at the last visit which was on Thursday.  I use a lot of her products and my skin has never looked better.