Honored Contributor

Re: Retinol - What Am I Missing?

What you are NOT missing is money. It doesn't do much for me.

Super Contributor

I really like Paula's Choice Resist Intensive Retinol Serum. It's very gentle and doesn't cause any irritation. I'm 39 and have used Retinol since my early 20s.

Esteemed Contributor

Over 50 is the perfect time to start a retinol. I don't think it's any kind of prevention for anything. Unless you have a specific issue, such as over producing sebaceous glands (too much facial oil), or problematic skin...acne or constant (not monthly) breakouts, there are other more beneficial skin ingredients & skin practices that prevent skin problems.

Retinol is not a fix all/prevent all, "one size fits most" product. You upset your natural balance if you start a retinol too early. You want your sebaceous glands to perform optimally, (which is your fountain of youth) and retinol interferes with that. Over 50, as our mechanism slows, then a nudge to turn over the dull top layer is ideal!

Then again, not all retinols are alike.

I've tried more than a few different retinols, and PTR was one of the least effective for me. If you are searching for a retinol, then I would strongly suggest trying some different ones, and follow the directions to ease it into a routine. At 61, I am still using the lowest percentage possible (@.15%) (started about 6 years ago) and it is still effective for me.

The oil that your own skin produces cushions and protects your skin better than any jar moisturizer.

Honored Contributor

On 9/6/2014 HappyDaze said:
On 9/6/2014 Colonel Meow said:
On 9/6/2014 HappyDaze said:
On 9/6/2014 Colonel Meow said:

I have to admit, I have the same question - is it worth it? I had been using PTR's retinol for over one year, prior to that I used ROC. I ran out of the PTR over this summer, and have yet to replenish.

I honestly don't see a difference - my skin looks no worse or better. I am 32, so my thought is that maybe I'm a bit too young to see the drastic difference that Retinol makes. But I'm assuming that using Retinol at this age will serve me well in the long run, no?

retinol is great for prevention too. If you don't have alot of issues yet, it only makes sense you won't/don't see any real difference.

That's what I was thinking. I've just been lazy about ordering more. It's difficult to cough up the money for a product that you don't see immediate results with, you know? lol

I understand but these days, I am ALL about prevention! I guess that is why I do so much research on ingredients and products to make sure I am choosing the best ingredients to do so and a formulation that is the most comprehensive, most effective and packaged in a way to maintain the efficacy. Since I don't expect to see much changes in my skin these days, I just want to be sure I am supporting my skin the best way I can so I can stave off the wrinkles, sagging, etc as long as possible. Smiley Happy

That's how I was-but it didn't work.{#emotions_dlg.mad} But I didn't use retin a or retinol, and I should have. I totally believe in it for prevention. I am using it now and love the new Strivectin serum with retinol. It doesn't make my face red and I just look better. I like it and it likes me.

Trusted Contributor

OP, using a retinol is a personal decision and Paula's Choice provides a decent discussion on retinol here.

This is a little off-topic, but within the text of this article, Paula has a link to another article she wrote that discusses whether to use retinol with acids (she says you can). However, Nicki Zevola with FutureDerm disputes this and advises not to in this article. So, we each have to make up our own mind on how we want to use retinol with acids in our personal beauty routines.

Frequent Contributor

Another retinol you might try, is Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair. I use the night moisturizer w/retinol. I love it. Hasn't irritated my skin, and I have seen a difference in the quality of my skin, and a reduction in fine lines, especially around my eyes.

Esteemed Contributor

expatgal ~ I didn't start using Retinol until I was about 57 (now 65). I tried a few, and settled on Alpha Hydrox ResQ which is a low percentage, time-release Retinol. I prefer to use a low percentage every night that doesn't irritate my skin than to use a high percentage Retinol once or twice a week that makes my skin red and peel. To each his own.

I'll add that I don't use all the layers/products you do.

Someone on this board told me you don't see magical results using Retinol. I was told that using Retinol kind of stops time. You don't see a difference immediately, but 2 years later you realize that your complexion hasn't changed. No new wrinkles, and the wrinkles you had didn't get any bigger. And those are exactly the results I got. Plus my skin is smoother. I also use Retinol on my neck and hands.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

On 9/7/2014 Harpa said:

Over 50 is the perfect time to start a retinol. I don't think it's any kind of prevention for anything. Unless you have a specific issue, such as over producing sebaceous glands (too much facial oil), or problematic skin...acne or constant (not monthly) breakouts, there are other more beneficial skin ingredients & skin practices that prevent skin problems.

Retinol is not a fix all/prevent all, "one size fits most" product. You upset your natural balance if you start a retinol too early. You want your sebaceous glands to perform optimally, (which is your fountain of youth) and retinol interferes with that. Over 50, as our mechanism slows, then a nudge to turn over the dull top layer is ideal!

Then again, not all retinols are alike.

I've tried more than a few different retinols, and PTR was one of the least effective for me. If you are searching for a retinol, then I would strongly suggest trying some different ones, and follow the directions to ease it into a routine. At 61, I am still using the lowest percentage possible (@.15%) (started about 6 years ago) and it is still effective for me.

The oil that your own skin produces cushions and protects your skin better than any jar moisturizer.

It IS a preventative as far as collagen production and degradation go. Collagen, as we know, is basically the support structure of the skin and helps with elasticity and firmness. If you support collagen product (and help to prevent collagen degradation, especially due to sun exposure/damage), then you stave off sagging and wrinkling and loss of elasticity. Not forever but for alot longer than what you would have without the extra support. Retinoids also helps with sun damaged skin which sometimes you can't even see necessarily until you get older.

I personally don't consider retin a and retinol simply a moisturizer and it certainly is not used as a moisturizer or in place of a moisturizer so I don't really understand that comment.

But that is all I am going to say about the topic as I know we disagree on many many things regarding skincare.

Contributor

On 9/6/2014 Snowpuppy said:

You don't have to dump huge $ on PTR to get the benefits of retinols.

I use ROC Retinol Correction Night in the gold tube. Less than $20. J&J has a printable coupon on their website.

Milder than Retin A and I don't use it every night. Every 2-3 nites or weekends only. For improving the look of real wrinkles, laugh lines, etc it can't be beat.

I agree with Snowpuppy on this one. ROC Retinol Correction Night makes a sensitive version in a silver tube which works wonders on my over 60 face. The regular version is too much for my very sensitive skin, but the sensitive version is one that I can use every night and it gives my face a smooth glass-like texture. Love this stuff and the price point is right. I get mine at CVS.

Valued Contributor

When I visited a derm for the first time about 14 years ago (I'm 55 now), I was so tired of using layers of lotions and potions that did nothing. I had tried OTC retinol and it irritated my skin terribly. Derm told me that for many, retinol is highly irritating because of the other ingredients they add. The more powerful and effective Retin-A, she explained, is much less irritating, if used correctly. She started me on a prescription Retin-A cream in a moisturizing base (Renova).

Because I followed her specific instructions, I never had any irritation. I slowly worked up to using it nightly, which I've been doing for about 14 years now. Best thing I ever did! The Retin-A completely changed my skin so that I no longer spend tons of time and money on things that never lived up to the hype. My routine is so simple and amazingly effective. I'm thrilled that I sought medical advice years ago to learn what really works and what is total marketing hype. You might want to visit a derm to learn what's best for your skin also.