Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Retinol - What Am I Missing?

On 9/7/2014 AspenGrove said:

When I visited a derm for the first time about 14 years ago (I'm 55 now), I was so tired of using layers of lotions and potions that did nothing. I had tried OTC retinol and it irritated my skin terribly. Derm told me that for many, retinol is highly irritating because of the other ingredients they add. The more powerful and effective Retin-A, she explained, is much less irritating, if used correctly. She started me on a Retin-A cream in a moisturizing base (Renova).

Because I followed her specific instructions, I never had any irritation. I slowly worked up to using it nightly, which I've been doing for about 14 years now. Best thing I ever did! The Retin-A completely changed my skin so that I no longer spend tons of time and money on things that never lived up to the hype. My routine is so simple and amazingly effective. I'm thrilled that I sought medical advice years ago to learn what really works and what is total marketing hype. You might want to visit a derm to learn what's best for your skin also.

ITA. Visit a reputable dermatologist. Retinols work by removing/slothing the upper layers of dead skin. They R irritating & you need to get the right product for your skin type. The best products,(retinol), meaning those that work, are prescription. Expensive, yes. Go get a consult. You'll be saving $$ in the long runSmiley Happy

Super Contributor

I get a script from my Derm. Some insurance will cover it. I get the generic Tretonoin cream for $5. A tube will last 4 mths. Even if insurance won't cover it, and it's $200, it's $50 a month, that's still less than what we've paid for some creams. For the past 7 yrs I've only used Vit C & sunscreen in the morning & Retin A at night with a simple moisturizer like Ponds if needed. It's been great for my skin, a simple routine, great results. I'm 53 Smiley Happy
Super Contributor

Also I agree that starting with a mild retinol over the counter is fine. Before I started Retin A, I used Neutrogena's Retinol as well as Alpha Hydroxy ResQ, with is a very nice one because it's in a moisturizing base & a great cost. Google Alpha Hydroxy for their website as they always have great sales.
Super Contributor

I am over 50 and have sensitive skin and the ROC broke me out in a rash. I use Neutrogena retinol cream in the metal tube (says "NIGHT" on the label). It has served me well for many years and no harsh reaction to my skin. If you're a newbie, though, apply every other night and them work up to every night.

ETA: The retinol in this specific Neutrogena product is higher on the ingredient list that the other so called "quickie" Neutrogena retinols and is cheaper, too.

Respected Contributor

Go to google and put in "tretinoin" in your search. That's the generic for Retin-A.

It will bring up a lot of photos of before and after. Many are for the treatment of acne (which it was initially developed for), but there are some for skin damage and antiaging.

You can see the results of using it. It is definitely not an overnight process, but some are amazing results.

MOST dermatologists agree in the use of this ingredient.

Hyacinth Smile

Super Contributor

On 9/7/2014 AnnikaC said:

Another retinol you might try, is Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair. I use the night moisturizer w/retinol. I love it. Hasn't irritated my skin, and I have seen a difference in the quality of my skin, and a reduction in fine lines, especially around my eyes.

I also saw good results with the neutrogena, actually better results than from the PTR. I switched to Paula's Choice now. I started using some retinol in my late 20s, I wasn't very diligent about it though, began using it regularly mid 30s. I think it makes a pretty substantial difference. People regularly think I am years younger than I am. Makes me happy because I hope it gives me some longevity in the job market.

Frequent Contributor

I think the brand of retinol can make a big difference. I've tried several and there's definitely a difference between them. The PTR didn't do anything for me, so if you didn't notice a difference either I wouldn't repurchase it. On the other hand, Skinceuticals Retinol I found to be very good. I'm using that now. For a drugstore product, the Neutrogena is also good. I think you just have to sample a couple until you find one that works best for your skin.
Super Contributor

Skinsceuticals is a good one too. They have it in .50 and 1.0
Respected Contributor

I have super sensitive skin and rosacea, retinols make my skin red so I try to avoid them as much as possible.