Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee 

Thanks so much!  I was hoping you'd chime in with your chemistry/skincare background Smiley Happy  I appreciate it.

Honored Contributor

You're welcome @monicakm .

Honored Contributor

My DH is very fair, and can not use the Tretinoin I have used for decades.

He has had good results with the Inky Retinol.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

RETIN A/retinoids/retinols used on damp skin can be irritating. You should wait at least 15-20 minutes to be sure skin is dry before application. Thsi is a side note...nothing to do with water IN the product. 

Yes, moisturizers applied on damp skin can sometimes add to the efficacy of the product, but i prefer to add skincare to dry skin so I don't dilute it. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

RETIN A/retinoids/retinols used on damp skin can be irritating. You should wait at least 15-20 minutes to be sure skin is dry before application. Thsi is a side note...nothing to do with water IN the product. 

Yes, moisturizers applied on damp skin can sometimes add to the efficacy of the product, but i prefer to add skincare to dry skin so I don't dilute it. 

@Shanus 

I believe the OP was concerned about the ingredient water as being a thing of concern nd not about having wet or damp skin.

But as far as applying retinoids on damp skin, you can do that with the encapsulated types such as Retin-A Micro (encapsulated) and also products containing encapsulated retinol (aka slow-release retinol). The encapsulation keeps it from irritating the skin if it's applied to damp skin.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee   Yes, I got that. I was just throwing in a "myth" that many think applying it on wet skin can somehow buffer the peeling, etc....a bit off subject.

Trusted Contributor
I was told by a dermatologist to apply retinol to damp skin so that it's able to spread easily. She said it would not dilute the effects at all. It's very hard to take a pea size of retinol and spread it all over a dry face.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Steffdoggy10 wrote:
I was told by a dermatologist to apply retinol to damp skin so that it's able to spread easily. She said it would not dilute the effects at all. It's very hard to take a pea size of retinol and spread it all over a dry face.

I am glad to see this post, I was beginning to think I was the only one who could not spread it over my skin unless it was damp. I hate to have to do that because I do have dry skin that does sometimes get irritated and flakes, but that's really the only way I can get it spread around enough.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt