Honored Contributor

Re: Retinol Not Around the Eyes?

[ Edited ]

Retinoids in general have a strange ability to migrate laterally under the skin. In other words when you apply it close to your lips or around your eyes you can experience it's effects on your lips as well as your eyes in the form of dryness/irritation even though you didn't apply it in those areas.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

After using Retin A cream for about 10-12 years, my skin has adapted very well to it and I have used it UNDER my eyes for years. Not near my lash line but directly under. I have always put a thin layer of Vaseline over it and have used Vaseline on my eyelids at night for years.  The retin a never bothered me and has  kept those krinkles at bay. Doc said as long as it doesn't burn or cause irritation it's ok but never in daytime.

Everyone is different and what May bother me may not bother you and vice versa.  

Honored Contributor

Succesful long-term Retin-A user here.

I lightly tap it beside my eyes, and under them.  Never use under brows, or on lids.  I have very sensitive eyes, and this mode works well for me.

@monicakm 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@monicakm 

PTR Retinol user here.  I also use Paula's Choice Retinol (not at the same time of course) and love them both.  I also use his Retino Fusion PM eye cream and I've never had a reaction, but as you know all of our skin is different & we tolerate things differently.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Retinoids in general have a strange ability to migrate laterally under the skin. In other words when you apply it close to your lips or around your eyes you can experience it's effects on your lips as well as your eyes in the form of dryness/irritation even though you didn't apply it in those areas.

Aha! So that's what it is. I get that dry burning in my lips when I use my retinol serum but I didn't let it touch my lips. I have to put my lip oil on every time. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Strivectin makes a Retinol Eye Cream

Respected Contributor

I'm so confused about retinol.  I've used the PTR retinol all over my face, including all around my eyes.  Never an issue.  Then I heard one vendor on The Q say "...retinol is yellow..."  PTR's is not yellow.  Confusing who to believe.  The PTR stuff is expensive...I hope I'm not just wasting my money.  Not sure if it's doing anything, but not sure if it isn't either.  Any thoughts?  I know I won't re-order the PTR stuff but am interested in another line.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BarbiHollywood wrote:

I'm so confused about retinol.  I've used the PTR retinol all over my face, including all around my eyes.  Never an issue.  Then I heard one vendor on The Q say "...retinol is yellow..."  PTR's is not yellow.  Confusing who to believe.  The PTR stuff is expensive...I hope I'm not just wasting my money.  Not sure if it's doing anything, but not sure if it isn't either.  Any thoughts?  I know I won't re-order the PTR stuff but am interested in another line.

@BarbiHollywood 

Retinol in it's pure form is bright yellow. PTR's retinol serum contains less than 2% retinol so it would most likely not have any visible color to speak of. That serum is mostly made up of silicone and squalane so it appears to me to give a good coating on the skin to prevent water loss which would lead to hydrated skin looking smoother.

ETA -

Retinol is a type of vitamin A. If you've seen vitamin A capsules then that is what color retinol is, too.