Honored Contributor

Retinol Not Around the Eyes?

I recently purchased Naturium's Retinol serum.  The directions say...Shake well. Apply an even layer onto face, neck and chest, avoiding the eye area.

Is this  a common application for a retinol product?

Honored Contributor

Re: Retinol Not Around the Eyes?

@monicakm   If you're a retinol newbie, I'd stay away from your nostrils, cornersof mouth and eye area. I'd also apply to neck only a few nights a week until well tolerated. Those more seasoned can tolerate a retinol up to the eye (not close to the lashes) and not on the lids....speaking of the RX Retin A. I'm not sure of the strength of yor serum.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

I recently purchased Naturium's Retinol serum.  The directions say...Shake well. Apply an even layer onto face, neck and chest, avoiding the eye area.

Is this  a common application for a retinol product?

If you are new to retinoids, approach with caution.  Apply every few days and build up to a system you're content with.  I use either PTR Retinol or prescription strength Tretinoin nightly (alternating), including the under eye and crow's feet area, but never on the lids. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

This is a retinol, not Retin A.  Also I will have a lot of hydrating and moisturizing products surrounding it.  If I get irritated, I always have Aveeno Calm and Restore to make things happy again Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

Thank you @JeanLouiseFinch   I will take baby steps.

Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't use retinol around the eyes

Honored Contributor

I use PTR retinol and I do put it around my eyes--just the orbital bone area and not on the lid. No problem at all.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dr Dubrows Regenerol eye cream contains retinol. I bet you can find lots of eye creams with retinol in it , just a ;low percentage. I am currently using a 3% retinol serum, but not around the eyes. 

Honored Contributor

The skin around the eyes and on the neck is thinner than the rest. Thinner skin contains fewer retionoid receptors meaning the skin can become irritated more easily in those areas because the retinol doesn't get converted, becomes oxidized and causes redness/dryness (a sign of oxidative stress). Gradual application will help the skin adjust in time.

Respected Contributor

I will not put my retinol products close to my eyes...maybe just a little on the sides where the crows feet are. And I also think no matter how far away you put the retinol it can still creep a little bit so keep that in mind. I know of one Youtuber who had to give up using Retin-A as she finally figured out it was the product causing her to have severe dry eyes....not the skin, but her actual eyes.