Trusted Contributor

Is tretinoin .05% cream stronger than tretinoin .01% gel? Not sure if the gel version is only suggested if you have extremely oily skin, which makes one think that it is actually stronger, and more efficacious. I came here, to the best, for my answer - thank you in advance girls!

Super Contributor

The .01% is the strongest, the .05 is the middle and 0.25 is the lowest strength, which is still stronger than OTC because it's a prescription. I use the cream, I am not sure but I think the gel is for oily skin, or more acne prone skin.

Renova is a cream base as well which is more moisturizing.

I use the .01% generic cream by prescription from my derm and Ponds Dry skin cream over if needed.

Respected Contributor

Retina micro gel has a different delivery system and is gentler. Micro stands for microencapsulated. I use it in 1% which is 1.0 %. I cannot use Retina or tretinoin, which is the generic in any strength. Renova simply means a moisturizer is added and my derm so that's a ripoff; also some people react to the moisturizer.

Retina micro is almost twice the price as Retina but a small tube lasts me a year. I don't use any other creams, serums. I do use an expensive cleanser but still not as pricey as the Q ones. My moisturizer costs me about seventy dollars for the year. My derm, who is a cosmetic derm says Retinoids by scrip are the closest thing to Botox in a tube.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you both for the information. I suppose then, since I am oily, I can use either the .01% gel or the .05% cream depending on my tolerance. Also, is it true that if I put any cream on top of this I should wait a good 20 mins. before doing so to not affect the efficacy of the retinol?

Frequent Contributor
On 10/1/2014 OCGurl said:

The .01% is the strongest, the .05 is the middle and 0.25 is the lowest strength, which is still stronger than OTC because it's a prescription. I use the cream, I am not sure but I think the gel is for oily skin, or more acne prone skin.

I use the .01% generic cream by prescription from my derm and Ponds Dry skin cream over if needed.

Just a quick correction to minimize confusion. I think OCGurl meant .1% is the strongest. Tretinoin is commonly available 0.025%, 0.05% and 0.1% (listed in increasing strengths.) There are other strengths available as well (often under particular brands.) For example you can get .0375% tretinoin prescribed under than name Tretin X etc.

Respected Contributor

I tried to clear up the 1 percent as opposed to 01 percent. Different rules for using creams, etc. with the micro gel.

Trusted Contributor

Retin-a Micro (microsphere) comes in .1% and .04% formulations, so I think you meant to ask does the .1% gel have more tretinoin in it than the .05% cream, and yes it does. Retin-a cream comes in .025%, .05% and .1% strengths.

.1% = .001

.05% = .0005

.04% = .0004

.025% = .00025

Retin-a Micro is formulated with microspheres (MICROSPONGE system) to enable inclusion of tretinoin in an aqueous gel. Retin-a Micro is typically prescribed to treat acne.

If you are interested in using Retin-a for anti-aging skin care, you might find this blog entry by a dermatologist about how to correctly use Retin-a to be helpful.

Respected Contributor

Wow! great entry; thank you!

Super Contributor
On 10/1/2014 lavendar said:

Retina micro gel has a different delivery system and is gentler. Micro stands for microencapsulated. I use it in 1% which is 1.0 %. I cannot use Retina or tretinoin, which is the generic in any strength. Renova simply means a moisturizer is added and my derm so that's a ripoff; also some people react to the moisturizer.

Retina micro is almost twice the price as Retina but a small tube lasts me a year. I don't use any other creams, serums. I do use an expensive cleanser but still not as pricey as the Q ones. My moisturizer costs me about seventy dollars for the year. My derm, who is a cosmetic derm says Retinoids by scrip are the closest thing to Botox in a tube.

I think the "moisturizer" in Renova is mineral oil.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
On 10/1/2014 OCGurl said:

I had a sample of Renova at one point and was not a fan. I am acne prone but have sensitive skin so the derm though it was worth a shot. Unlike Retin A and many other rx retinoids, Renova has added fragrance. Just a heads up for people who don't like scented skincare. I couldn't tolerate it.