Trusted Contributor

@MercysMom,

This article by the FutureDerm blog explains the difference between prescription retinoids and should answer a lot of your questions.  Granted, the article is over 5 years old but is a good primer for those new to retinoids.

You can Google around on the subject, but from what I gather, there have been no studies that compare Retin-A to Differin for anti-aging benefits.

Walgreens in my area has a $1 store coupon on Differin and also reduced the price by $2 this week on Differin (total savings $3).  The 0.1% Differin is comparable to .05% tretinoin, so if you're going to use it for anti-aging, ease into it the same way you would for tretinoin to see how your skin reacts to it...twice a week for a few weeks, then three times a week for a few weeks, then every other day.

Trusted Contributor

@Ainhisg, thanks for the information about Tara's skincare.  I'm not familiar with her products, but just looked her site up after reading your post!

Trusted Contributor

@Naturesbeauty wrote:
Retin-A was and still is a "acne" treatment. It was prescribed years ago just for "acne" and then they found out it helped with fine lines and deep wrinkles. I get mine in Mexico for $5.00 a tube. No prescription needed. There is a learning curve to using it so please research it carefully before using it. You will get great results from it. But you must be careful using it.

@Naturesbeauty     Do you pick some up when you go to Mexico or do you order it? 

Respected Contributor

@KCDiva wrote:

@Naturesbeauty wrote:
Retin-A was and still is a "acne" treatment. It was prescribed years ago just for "acne" and then they found out it helped with fine lines and deep wrinkles. I get mine in Mexico for $5.00 a tube. No prescription needed. There is a learning curve to using it so please research it carefully before using it. You will get great results from it. But you must be careful using it.

@Naturesbeauty     Do you pick some up when you go to Mexico or do you order it? 

I have a friend who goes to Cabo every year and she picks it up for me. 2 tubes each time. She says no questions asked and no prescription needed. Has been getting it for me for years.
Esteemed Contributor

About 20 years ago, I went to a derm about my rosacea.  In addition to other things, he gave me a prescription for Differin.  I asked him what it was for and he told me it was a retinoid to fight wrinkles and anti-aging.  I reminded him I was there for rosacea, not anti-aging.  He said, "Every woman wants something for anti-aging."  Hmmm.....   So I got a tube and used it for a few weeks.  No ill effects.  At that moment in time, I wasn't interested in getting rid of non-existent wrinkles, so I quit using it.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt